Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amy_stoddard

Window choice. Renderings attached. Need opinions.

Amy Stoddard
11 years ago
Hi. We're tackling a remodel and would like some opinions whether to go with clear anodized aluminum windows or dark windows and frame them in aluminum. What do you think?

Any other comments about the general design are welcome too! Thanks everyone.

Comments (21)

• PRO
    Rockin' Fine Finish
    11 years ago
    Cool house both options are great is there a cost difference check out the windows on my profile under mcalpine
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    I'd stick with white / clear anodized aluminum windows.
  • Amy Stoddard
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks. There's about $4400 difference between clear anodized and dark aluminum clad. I attached a photo of what the house looks like now.
  • PRO
    Rockin' Fine Finish
    11 years ago
    The black aluminum would look better on this style home
  • alleykat6093
    11 years ago
    I like the white windows much better than the black.
  • Amy Stoddard
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    All great suggestions. We are admittedly taking a very non-modern house and trying to make it modern. I will repost soon and let you know how it goes.

Keep the suggestions coming. It's helpful. :)
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    11 years ago
    I like the photo that Rockin'FineFinish posted, but it is a much more traditional window (Craftsman color schemes often have darker windows with a lighter trim) . That modern window wall look I think you are going for, with the Mondrian-ish patterns, I usually think of with the lighter muntins (sorry - that's a convoluted sentence lol). Another issue to consider, however, is what you want the window trim to look like on the INSIDE.

Mercer Island Residence · More Info

Cary Bernstein Architect Potrero Residence · More Info

Meadow Creek House · More Info

http://www.houzz.com/modern-aluminum-window-wall
    Lopez Island Residence · More Info
  • Amy Stoddard
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hi Katheryn. You are spot-on. I'm struggling with how to finish the inside. The photos I saved are also finished in aluminum on the interior. The builder we're working with set us up with a rep that sells aluminum-clad, so inside is finished in wood. We're going for that clean, minimal look on the interior as well. Eventually, interior walls will be white and oak floors will be a medium walnut.

While painting the inside is not ideal, both from a maintenance and aesthetic perspective, a dark charcoal might work. Or, the same walnut stain that's on the floor.

It's worth mentioning we're in a cold, four-season climate. I'm not sure there's an all-aluminum manufacturer that meets residential code.

I'm in a precarious situation. Our builder is a referral from the lumberyard. Naturally, they'd like me to buy windows from them. We've spent sugnificant time in the measuring/configuration stage. "Jumping ship" to chase down a commercial, all-aluminum unit is really going to upset people.

Back to your original topic of how to finish the inside, what would you do is clear anodized is used on the outside?

Thanks again for your help.
  • PRO
    Rockin' Fine Finish
    11 years ago
    I'm sorry I just realized that you are remodeling go with the clear my bad
  • PRO
    Fenstermann LLC
    11 years ago
    We supply windows that are custom made in Germany. I would love to offer a second opinion and price this job for you. We can do exactly what you are looking for. Our thermally broken aluminum windows that have the same energy efficiency as a vinyl window. They are powder coated, so getting the finish you want outside and a darker color inside would not be a problem. If you are interested here is my email: david@fenstermann.com You can also view my profile to see the quality of work we have done in the past. Thanks : )
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    11 years ago
    Hi Amy: who is the mfr. carried by the local lumberyard which you are considering - or I guess I should say, which the lumberyard/rep has measured for? I think how they are finished on the inside is really a very personal choice. I like the look of the anodized aluminum on the inside, personally, but it is a very specific look. Do you like the look of the wood clad interiors? That, again, is a very specific look. It will definitely be a heavier look than the aluminum. In some ways, I think the profile of the window frame, with a minimal look, is more important than the color, for the exterior anyway. You can work with that in terms of materials and color, since these are all new. Whatever you choose for the inside, however, unless you are willing to paint it, is going to be a big part of the interior look.

Here is a house with what looks like an anodized finish window:
    zipper house · More Info

What about just going white? Is that too mundane?
    Mukilteo Style · More Info

How about doing a mix, with the boxed out white areas getting a different finish than the rest of the house?
    Platinum House - exterior · More Info

More to follow.
  • PRO
    Fenstermann LLC
    11 years ago
    In the US, it is usually difficult to find an aluminum window that meets energy efficiency requirements, has a narrow profile, and is available in multiple finishes. The windows I am suggesting are only 3" in profile height for a picture window as well as an operable window. I think this is perfect for the look you are going for, and possibly the only one that works with your climate. Our windows are about 50% more energy efficient than a typical aluminum window.
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    11 years ago
    I think the look of the interior window finish depends upon the style you want to go with. Are you looking for more of that wood contemporary - a la a Northwest kind of - look, or are you going for a midcentury Palm Springs kind of look? I use those terms only to explain the look I'm trying to explain. A dark anodized finish would also look nice, if you want to play up the window patterns. One would have a lot of wood, the second would be very light, probably actually very white, and the 3rd would obviously be dark.. What is the rest of the interior trim? Stained wood? Painted wood?

Here is a dark finish window, but with matching stained house trim
    Port Ludlow House · More Info

Interior anodized aluminum finish
    House By The Pond · More Info

Here is one which has a dark finish exterior but probably a white painted interior.
    New Edinburgh Project · More Info

All interior wood finish
    Quantum Windows & Doors | McElroy Architecture · More Info

This is kind of a nice look - I can't tell whether this is stained or painted, but the gray is a nice contrast. It looks warmer than an all-aluminum, especially since you are in a 4-season climate (me, too) but still kind of has that look.
    Russian River Studio · More Info

Can you post some photos of the direction you want the interior to go? I think that will kind of determine the finish that you want.
  • Amy Stoddard
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hi Kathryn. I love the Zipper house. The Mukileo house is too traditional. Also love the Ellis Residence, but I don't see how the windows are different. I do see the siding difference.

You're spot-on about the profile. We'd like it to be as minimal as possible. In the "dark version" we'd do a nice aluminum border - so you get the outline of the window, but not the mullions.

The soffits are 29" on our remodel. The underside being white/Azek with continuous vents. As much as I'd love cedar everywhere, its just not in the budget. So we're doing some cedar or Ipe on the porch and fence to warm it up.

The manufacturer we're quoted is Marvin. Its their "Ultimate" line. I loved the idea of low-maintenance fiberglass, which is Marvins Integrity / Infinity (for remodel) line. But the large window in front (Mondrian-style) is larger than what can be made in fiberglass.

If we went with the "dark version" we'd keep the front door (commercial), the doorwalls and the garage in anodized aluminum.

The anodized IS indeed a "very specific look." I'm not too concerned about it looking dated in 10 years. The siding we picked is James Hardie smooth siding in "Iron Grey." Where you see white on the front and back of the house, we're using Hardie' Panels in Arctic White with matching reveal channels.

Because "Iron Grey" is already dark, my fear is that dark windows will make the overall look too dark. Its hard to capture natural light in renderings.

Finally, if "Iron Grey" is too desaturated, we may elect to paint. A blog I'm fond of at Chezerbey.com painted their home in Benjamin Moore "Soot." Their windows aren't actually Ebony, but "Chocolate Chip" (by Andersen/Eagle). That subtle touch of blue allows them to use a color that's not quite black.

http://chezerbey.com/2009/09/02/soot/

Marvin's exterior colors are more limited. If we went dark, it would be "Bronze" or "Ebony." I know they can do custom colors, but that just adds cost. Not ideal.

http://www.marvin.com/benefits-features/aluminum-clad-color-options/

Open to more suggestions. We are 95% sure we're going with Marvin.
  • PRO
    Fenstermann LLC
    11 years ago
    We supply 1200 standard colors for our windows but they are totally different from Marvin. Quality and choices are our main advantage. I understand that you are far enough along in the process, that you might be set on that company. I wish you the best with your fantastic project!
  • Amy Stoddard
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The "Russian River" image is closets to the vision if we went painted. The contractor is advising us to stain in a medium walnut tone to match the floors/closets, etc. throughout the house. If there's condensation issues, the paint might peel.

Aluminum Interiors are inefficient in this climate.

Quarry Street is Pella/Fiberglass.
    Quarry Street House · More Info

Quarry Street House · More Info

Linden Hills is Marvin Integrity / Fiberglass.
    Linden Hills Contemporary · More Info

Russian River is Painted Marvin.
    Russian River Studio · More Info

Nordquist is aluminum interior.
    Nordquist · More Info
  • PRO
    Fenstermann LLC
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    These are some of the available finishes that can come with our windows (all standard, no upcharge). They are powder coated in the factory, baked on, and will not come off like paint.
  • Amy Stoddard
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hi Festermann. I appreciate your input, but its better for me to buy from a local dealer. I realize that limits me tremendously. But in a 4-season climate, it seems more goes wrong b/c of freeze 'n thaw. A friend once told me "windows are only as good as the dealer and installer." I thought that was good advice. Should something go wrong, I think local contacts work better for me.
  • PRO
    Fenstermann LLC
    11 years ago
    No problem, best of luck!