Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carnocal

Need help to improve our family room

Ting
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

we have been trying to improve our family room by adding new area rug/wall decor and greens in the room. However still feel it is a little plain, and somehow not so "sharp and clean", but can't really figure what needs to be done.. any suggestion please? TIA!

Comments (20)

• Ting
    Original Author
    7 years ago

forget to mention that the room is 19'x14', open to kitchen, and has two-story high ceiling.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 years ago

Can I assume the 14 is the width across the fireplace wall?

Are the leather furnishings black or brown?

Can you provide the general length of the sofa, loveseat and chair?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 years ago

Here is the basic floor plan for the room. With the TV flipped from one layout to the other. I guessed at the size of the furnishings. You could use round end tables with lamps, a floor lamp by the lounge chair for reading, an accent table near the lounge chair for a drink & draperies at the windows. More to follow.

Ting thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • grapefruit1_ar
    7 years ago

You have a beautiful space that is cheapened by those blinds. I would remove them. If you have a privacy/light control issue you can keep the blinds but cover them with sheers and panels. Keep the panels open whenever possible.

Ting thanked grapefruit1_ar
  • PRO
    Laurie McDowell Interior Design
    7 years ago

The fireplace and flanking windows are a fabulous beginning to what can be a beautiful, cozy room. It is always a bit difficult to offer advise when I can't really tell sizes and colors but I can offer a few ideas I thought of in seeing your photos.

By the single chair, find a great floor lamp and maybe it has color to it like and orange/red. I say that so that we can start bouncing a bit of color off your art at the mantel and into the room. Maybe no table over by the chair. How about end tables for the long sofa and don't have them too low so maybe around 25" tall to 27"high. I would put lamps on the tables to add warmth as well as light to the room. I talked about the height of the tables because I would like to see the lamps up high enough to be able to spread the light around a bit . Also if the tables match then I would try to get two different but complimentary lamps. This will add a bit more interest to the room. I think that lamps should have some personality and probably some color.

I would replace the rug with a different one that might be larger. I can't really tell from the pictures. I would have more color and interest in the rug, letting that be one of the big statements in the room along with your art.

I would suggest textured pillows for sofas for 2 reasons. Textured pillows won't slide down the leather sofa so easily and the texture will look create next to the sleek leather. Depending on the rug, have some solid or small patterned pillows that once again compliment colors that you are bringing into the room.

I don't know if this helps or confuses you more, but I hope it was of some use.

Good luck! I'm sure you will get there as it has great bones!

Laurie McDowell

Ting thanked Laurie McDowell Interior Design
  • Ting
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you all for the great suggestion!

@BeverlyFLADeziner - the size of the sofa is 80" x 40", and love seat is 60" x 40", and armchar is 40" x 40". The color of the furniture and sofa is dark brown. I can't switch TV because the other side is open to kitchen. :(

• Ting
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@grapefruit1_ar That's great point!

should I go with some light color/striped draper, or Roman shade or something dark? our furniture and hardwood floor are dark already, so not sure how to choose panel/sheer. We have great view outside - our backyard is backwood.

• Ting
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@carolbrandywine - Yes we will replace the TV console with a longer one - it is too small. And I will get some different pillow - maybe black and white striped/patterns?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 years ago

I might consider changing the blinds to the faux wood blinds sold at HD. The alternate blinds would provide the rooms with some additional texture. Add blue drapery panels & multi color/blue area rug.

• Ting
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@BeverlyFLADeziner

wow that makes huge difference of the family room!! Thank again for such wonderful and creative suggestions!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 years ago

• Ting
    Original Author
    7 years ago

This looks great!

So I may mount the TV on the wall and have a longer console under based on previous suggestion. As for the rug, which one looks better? Both are mid-pile ( around 0.5) and soft surface as kids are reading books in the family room all the time. I prefer the 1st.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 years ago

Ting, Neither of those two area rugs will work. I would suggest you keep two things in mind as you select area rugs:

• Your brown leather sofas
    • and your art over the FP that I love.

Your room needs a color that complements the brown leather and adds color and texture to your room. The blue in those two rugs is flat flat flat leaning toward grey hues and iMO is not the way to head for your room.

The print has all the colors in it that you can introduce to your room. I have randomly selected 3 blue/green colors from the print to accent in your room. See image above. I had the Sherwin Williams Chip It app select colors from your print for you to use as reference.

Your sofas placed on this rugs that have blue that leans to teal will be more vibrant in your room. All of these from Overstock.

Ting thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • anthip
    7 years ago

I agree with everything that Beverly says.

• Ting
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Aha now I understand what I need to do to get a proper rug.. That SW snapIt app is really cool!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 years ago

Ting, that app its a help when you're trying to isolate colors. It's not 100% effective because it gets it wrong sometimes, but it's a good tool.

• Ting
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Beverly,

I think I understand why the teal/blue makes such huge difference with dark brown in my room like you suggested - they are complementary in the color wheel :)

• Ting
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Took a quick trip to Lowes to grab the faux wood blinds to replace the original white ones.. Man it makes HUGE difference and feel vivid of the room !! see the picture I just took below..

Ordered the TV wall rack and will get TV hanging on the wall and replace the console later. I should put something in the "before/after" section once the project is done! :)

• Ting
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I think I need to update our current progress since almost 6 month passed.. pics are worth thousands words.. I have two latest pics taken from the family room.