Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristimatthews

What did I do with this room?

Kristi Matthews
7 years ago
It's the first room you see when you enter our home. It is the formal living space but it's completely open to my dining room. And the piano is staying in there some where. There is this weird, unique space on the back side of the stairs that I would love to help out. That table looks weird there. Plants look good but is that all I should put there? I want to replace those chairs and rug. Ideas? Other furniture ideas?

Comments (10)

• elainesteinke
    7 years ago

Hi, consider moving the piano where the small table is next to the stairs as it only comes to the height of the moulding and then consider the two lamps on the small counter area behind the piano. I would place the piano so that the one side of the piano be just where the counter ends and the wall begins, and then it looks like your two lamps will fit on the counter and not be higher than where the stairs curve down.

I would then place a shortened 'U' or 'L' shaped sectional along the wall where the piano used to be. I would have one arm of the U or the short part of the L divide the space between the living and dining, and you could possible place your small sofa table behind the sofa back.

Contemporary Living Room · More Info
    Envision this kitchen as being your dining room and then have the small part of the sofa dividing the space. I would also find a much larger rug, so that all the living room furniture rests on it.

Riverhouse · More Info
    If you still want smaller occasional chairs, you could go with a single sofa or love seat and then place a chair or perhaps two as the dividing element between the living and dining.

I really like the dining room drapery and your large piece of artwork. I would move your current rug to your dining space and perhaps add a complimentary mirror on the wall that is currently bare, or perhaps move the two smaller pieces that you currently have on either side of your door over to that wall.

For the living room, I would continue with that colour theme and perhaps buy a neutral tan sofa and maybe a sisal rug and then brighten up or create contrast with the occasional chairs in a darker blue, maybe navy. With the neutral sofa and sisal rug your décor won't clash but compliment with what is going on in the dining room

• PRO
    Re:Location Design
    7 years ago

Have you considered putting the piano where the console table is currently? That way you have a virtually blank slate to work with in the are that you first see when you walk in. You could use a sectional sofa to begin the creation of an inviting living space

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    7 years ago

put the piano on the staircase wall, move the rug under it, group the two chairs across from it. put the console table under the window.

you really need a larger rug to make it work.

move the painting down to dining room and complete that blank wall.

once you have moved things around and have a larger rug then address the long wall.

• PRO
    Laurie McDowell Interior Design
    7 years ago

Beautiful staircase!!! The room is lovely as well but if I could suggest just a few easy changes? Replace the foyer table. Just doesn't seem to have enough weight and size for the room. Take what looks like drums tucked around the piano and place around and under the different, larger foyer table. This will lighten up the piano area. Then I would get bigger lamps in a accent color for foyer table. Hanging the art in that location rather then leaning because I think it would look better up higher. Move rug closer to the chairs so you define that this is an area of the room as well as the dining is an area. Last of all I would put the candle arrangement you have on foyer table and put on the ledge above. I think that it should look nice there and the table won't be so crowded. Have fun with this room!

Laurie McDowell

• Jennifer Havin
    7 years ago

I would put that rug and the print above the piano in the dining room. can you move piano to where console table is? then move chairs to piano wall? find a coordinating rug to define that space

• PRO
    Laurie McDowell Interior Design
    7 years ago

Absolutely, just be sure to make the little niche in that wall important.

• Kris Mays
    7 years ago

I agree with relocating the piano. You need a larger rug to ground your space, and some seating. That console table is small in scale for your room.

• patrinkac
    7 years ago
    Floor lamp, end tables with lamps would be better light source. But once again small space is full of large sofa. Imho
  • Irene Morresey
    7 years ago
    I'd be inclined to shift piano and do something big a dramatic like in pics, you have the room