Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lenarufus

suggestions for compact rose, peony type or like Just Joey

lenarufus
7 years ago

I have 2 Just Joeys and they are doing well in north facing garden (in Sydney, probably equivalent to Zone 10-11). One of them is a cutting I made from the original, which I moved from
Melbourne, it was my partner's mother's rose so I am glad it is
thriving. I'd like to get some more roses like these but there's not much space, only about 7.6m or 25' wide and 3.16m or 10' deep, and a lemon tree shades some of this.

This is one of the JJs, I'd like something with this sort of form.

Can you suggest some roses that don't sprawl or get really tall, are fragrant and have large flowers that are good as cut flowers?

Also would be good if they could be grown in pots.

I like pink or apricot/yellow ... Valencia looks great but may be too big.

Also how far apart should roses be? One of the JJ's is 24" at the base from a Queen Elizabeth (that I'm going to move this winter) and they both seem to be ok. I'm just wondering how many roses I can pack into a small space! The back garden is bigger but faces south & has large trees over so doesn't get enough sun for roses.

Comments (72)

• Lisa Adams
    7 years ago

She is beautiful, Diane. I guess if she is 8 feet for you, I definitely don't have room for this one. I've admired it many times and been tempted. Thanks for the lovely picture! Lisa

• lenarufus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Same here, too tall ... but Abbaye is gorgeous.

I asked the nursery about Peach profusion, they said ' Peach Profusion can cope with the warmer weather but as its colour fades in the open bloom you may not get much of the apricot in the flower before it pales out in the hot weather.'

But I'm still tempted.

• daisymeowmeow
    7 years ago

Hi, Lenarufus, you r thinking exactly what i was thinking before. Lol, I love peach profusion, and read somewhere says it can stay in a pot, so I transplanted in a pot when I brought it. I even brought this for moving the pot around under the shade or put it in indoor (it very impressed some of my friends who don't like flowers at all). I brought the plant in April of this year, one month ago it grown quiet big, seemed it couldn't fit my pot anymore, so I decided to plant it under a tree if she loves shade, I could see it's root was full of the pot already. so far, it only got one new growth after planted it on gound. I'm not sure it's bc too less sun or it is still shocking after transplanted. but new growth normally means new buds.

the flower last one week on bush (even 10 days if weather is cool), but in the vase, only last 3 days for me. and it's stems are short. see, I could only make a small flower arrangement to put it on my computer desk. lol

the flowers are big sometimes, the right hand side one is a bit fade, but when you stay far to see, it's still pretty. sorry it's blur, i only got this one.

• daisymeowmeow
    7 years ago

Ok, I want to pot more photos of peach profusion to tempt you, hehe...

• Curdle 10a (Australia)
    7 years ago

My Peach Profusion is here,

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/4265338/spring-flush-3-peachy-keen?n=6

as well as other peachy roses...if you are looking for happy in a pot, and fragrance, Mary Magdalene is one of my favourites, She is only so so as a cut flower..lasts about 3/4 days if you cut her early. Keeps flowering even when its really hot, but the blooms do bleach out in summer heat.

ohh btw..I was looking at my PP today, and I realised that it is partly shaded by the next door neighbours flowering shrubby thing ( its grown a lot since i last noticed, that spot used to be full bore death in summer full sun hehe)

• lenarufus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Daisy, yes that worked!! I'm definitely going to get one, they're not available until winter as bare rooted, and put it in a pot.

Also, I love the flowers in the vase - is that hellebores with the rose?

• lenarufus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Curdle I had a look at Mary Mag .. it looks lovely but said disease resistance is poor, I suppose that means black spot. It appears often on the few roses I have, I pick off the leaves straightaway which seems to stop it becoming a problem, & spray with baking soda. So far so good, but a hot humid summer coming up.

Your Peach Profusion looks really healthy - where in Australia are you? If and when I get one I hope it takes off sooner than yours, I haven't got that much patience!

• rosecanadian
    7 years ago

Diane - Your Abbaye (sp?) shots are soooo pretty!!! It has so many looks to its roses!! The last one looks just like Jude the Obscure.

Daisy - the last picture in your penultimate posting here - do all of those roses come from the same plant? The roses have such different colors to them!! I love the pink rose!!!

Carol

• daisymeowmeow
    7 years ago

Lenarufus, that flower is not hellebores, hellebores can be filling flowers, or can be a bunch of bouquet by itself.

and this one, don't remember its name, it grows like a wild flower in the garden, has blue, white and pink color. I think I brought the pack of seed from Bunnings. In the center of snow ball, that's plant.

Peach profusion is very healthy, so far no disease at all. I just water the whole plant as I'm lazy to bend down.

• daisymeowmeow
    7 years ago

Hi Carol, oh, the pink rose is souvenir de louis amade, I just put two pots together at that time. Yes, it's pretty, I brought it bc of its big yellow stamen, makes it sometimes looks like lotus, sometimes looks like peony.

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    7 years ago

Enjoyed reading this post. Lovely roses everyone thank you.

• vasue VA
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Daisy, the flowers with your vase of Peach Profusion look like Nigella. Grew these charmers years back & had forgotten about them. Thanks for the reminder! http://tinyurl.com/gpx548d and http://hort.uwex.edu/articles/love-mist/ 

Abbaye de Cluny grown here own root for 10+ years is only 4' high. Just Joey is its seed parent mama & the family resemblance is striking. Although the description page at HelpMeFind notes "None to mild spice fragrance", its very well scented in this garden, and member ratings give it an excellent-. May be climate related - very humid here in contrast to Diane's arid environment. http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.15&tab=34

Though a Kordes' rose, seems Peach Profusion's only available in Australia? Lucky you, looks lovely. http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.66469&tab=1 

All these beautiful roses & companions are such a warm balm on a cold night. Sue

• rosecanadian
    7 years ago

Daisy - thanks!! I think it's darling!

Carol

• daisymeowmeow
    7 years ago

Carol, yea, it is and easy to grow.

Sue, thanks the info. Abbaye de Cluny looks really pretty as well. Love those old fashioned roses. Melbourne has warm summer, plants usually are thriving here, and can be bigger size I think.

• daisymeowmeow
    7 years ago

I just grow roses two years ago, so I'm a newbie ;-) haven't grow guillot's rose before, and in Melbourne it's not easy to find it, couldn't get much info in internet also. Can any one tell about emilien guillot? I hope the flower can last long on bush and vase, and repeat well.

• rosecanadian
    7 years ago

Oh Daisy!!!! That's stunning!!!! If it has fragrance, I would buy that in a heartbeat!!! Drool!!

Carol

• Curdle 10a (Australia)
    7 years ago

Daisy you could try Knights Roses- they sell a few of the Guillot roses.

Mary Mags is pretty healthy for me, and a very good flowerer. It does get the odd bit of BS, but not too badly. Surprising considering its an older Austin rose. I'm in Melbourne and its getting muggier here especially in Spring, and just about everything has got blackspot, mildew, or both at the moment..and just yesterday I noticed something that looks a lot like spider mites on one mini....grr.

Thats the main reason I kept PP, even tho it didnt flower for so long..its the healthiest rose I've got! Was like having a little evergreen shrub; never seen a single speck of BS or mildew on it at all. Its just cycling down from its second flush now, and still looks good. (A lot of the roses seem to get a bit ratty between flushes before putting out more growth) I'm not sure why it took so long to take off- possibly the pot I had it in was too small? Anyway, it will be interesting to see how it does the rest of this year.

• daisymeowmeow
    7 years ago

Carol, today I saw the emilien guillot in a nursery, not that impressive. The flower is small than I expected, color was not as stunning as internet photos. End up I brought our vanilla and Augusta luise. Can't leave with empty hands, right? :-)

Curdle,

The first time I saw May mags was in Werribee state rose garden, the flower was stunning, but the plant was weak and ratty, then I checked the info on line, seems most people say it's not a healthy plant. So I gave up. It's good that you have a healthy one. Now I will choose DA's roses carefully as seems most of them can't take Melbourne's crazy / lovely weather. There are few DA'S roses that I'm keep thinking to shovel prune it, especially Claire Austin, I admired it's a young plant, but then if she doesn't want to bloom, fine, save her energy give me few good blooms in spring rather rather then gave me a hundred of white mushrooms which never open and the petals will all drop next day. Why did I buy it? Don't know....

• daisymeowmeow
    7 years ago

Typo, wanted to say: admitted

• lenarufus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Daisy when Augusta luise flowers could you post some pictures, did you plant it in the ground? That was on my want list but they didn't have it in stock.

• rosecanadian
    7 years ago

Totally agree, Daisy!! Can't leave empty handed!! Maybe should - but can't!! LOL

Carol

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    7 years ago

Lenarufus, are you another Augusta fan? She is one of my top three favorites--gorgeous, huge, color changing blooms that finally, this past spring, came forth with the most wonderful, wafting scent (took three years, but I have a mediocre nose). Here are a few photos. Diane

In a more pink stage

More apricot
    Even more apricot
    Like a watercolor
    I could go on and on. Carol knows how nuts I am about this rose. I even wrote a silly poem about her, and my granddaughter interpreted Augusta as a young girl in a drawing for me. Diane

• daisymeowmeow
    7 years ago

Diane, your Augusta is so beautiful, hope mine could be like this. And I read that thread after I brought this rose, your granddaughter is so talented!

Lenarufus, I didn't plant it on the ground yet as busy, waiting for a rainy day also. Sure will post some photos if it blooms well. I didn't expected to buy this as I didn't want pink rose anymore, but once I saw it, I just couldn't resist it.

• lenarufus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes I read that thread too, and am going to order Augusta as soon as the bare rooted ones become available. I love the variations in colour

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    7 years ago

Daisy, I'm sure your Augusta will be lovely if it does as well as your Peach Profusion, which is a beautiful rose. I love the photos of your bouquets up the thread, too.

Lenarufus, you'll also love Augusta. I think she'll thrive in your climate. Mine doesn't mind the heat that much compared to many other roses. Diane

• rosecanadian
    7 years ago

Diane!!! I just love your pictures of AL!! The pink is my favorite color it shows; but I love both colors - what a cool rose!!

Carol

• daisymeowmeow
    7 years ago

Lenarufus,

Here are the photos of Augusta, finally put it on ground few days ago.

Two days ago

Today's photo. Buds open slowly, seems can last long on the bush or in a vase.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    7 years ago

For a brand new in the ground rose, your Augusta is doing fabulously, Daisy. Just look at all those buds, and I love the fat bloom you show in your photo. Be sure to show us more photos as she grows and develops. Diane

• Lisa Adams
    7 years ago

Yes, please! I love seeing pics of AL! What a gorgeous Rose.

• daisymeowmeow
    7 years ago

Thanks Diane and Lisa. Can't wait my Augusta grows big. Here is a bouquet for our Christmas! ( Augusta, evelyn and molineux ). Merry Xmas!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    7 years ago

Daisy, that's so charming--Augusta looks apricot yellow in this color phase. Love it! Merry Christmas and happy rose gardening. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    7 years ago

Lenarufus, happy holidays to you. We sort of detoured on Augusta, but I hope you're growing your AL soon. Diane

• lenarufus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm happy reading about any rose!

The 3 new ones I got are doing well, they all have buds. The Nahema is sending out growth, I want to grow it up the wall of the house which is brick rendered, old render and my partner is baulking at screwing in hooks for wires.. he thinks the render might crack, but I don't care if it does

the nahema is on the right here. The Valencia next to it is more in front.. I'm hoping I can train the nahema up the wall but also along below the window, is this feasible?

is there any way to do it without drilling holes into the wall?

And happy holidays to you too

and thinking how lucky we are to have gardens .. plants that grow, mostly .. food, water etcetcetc, a luxury to many

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    7 years ago

I love your home! I too might hesitate to put wires in the wall.

• totoro z7b Md
    7 years ago

Lovely photos.

There are eye hooks that you can glue on the wall with silicone glue that does not damage walls. It also comes with flexible wire that you can thread through the eye hooks to make a trellis. I have used it in brick and a wood fence.

• vasue VA
    7 years ago

One maker of the vine hooks/plant anchors Totoro mentions is Tumax. If you paint them to match the wall they're nearly invisible. http://tumaxgardenproducts.com/

For reviews - https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dlawngarden&field-keywords=tumax 

Beautiful roses & gardens, everyone! What a lift on a dreary day. Thank you! Sue

• Natasha (Chandler AZ 9b) W
    7 years ago

Thank you, Sue, for the example of this anchors. I'm right in the search of something to support my roses in the future. Did you or anybody else used them for big climbing roses? They can get heavy... Will those anchors really hold all the weight? Thank you!

And roses are all beautiful... Those are my inspiration!

• lenarufus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks so much for that information! I've ordered a pack of anchors. We can get the silicone here .. it will save drilling into the wall which has 40-50 year old render on it which would probably crack and crumble if drilled into. Hopefully the rose won't pull the wall down!!

do you think I could train a cane along under the window or would this be too low?

Thanks again

• summersrhythm_z6a
    7 years ago

Curly Pink:

7 years ago

I think you could train a cane under the window. OTOH the bushes might grow up and obscure it's visibility over time.

• lenarufus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'll give it a go, could always prune it back although I quite like the idea of looking at the world through roses!

• lenarufus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Am excited ... the first Nahema bud opened today & smells beautiful! And it has grown a lot, and has more buds - if those anchors don't arrive soon it may already be out of control!

• Curdle 10a (Australia)
    7 years ago

It looks lovely !

my impulse buy Nahema isnt looking very good, and its all my fault. As there was a nasty heatwave over xmas, and I hadnt worked out where or what to do with it, it remained in its nursery pot and got put onto the back verandah - in what seems to be the only spot that somehow gets direct sunlight, so it got a bit fried grr.

• lenarufus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes my one had all its outer leaves browned and shrivelled a week after I planted it. It's recovered, hopefully yours will too. They seem to be pretty forgiving. We had a heat wave last week and it didn't seem worried.

I deep watered it twice in December with 20 litres of water with seasol. It only has direct light in the morning .. it is shaded by the building in the afternoon.

7 years ago

oh, Lena, it's gorgeous! Can't wait for mine to get to this budding stage. It's fairly new, planted in November. Good luck with anchors, I decided to order them too)

• vasue VA
    7 years ago

Natasha, haven't yet used the Tumax to create a trellis. Ran across these 20 years ago, found the idea intriguing & picked up a kit for a few dollars. Would think the structural strength would relate to the diameter gauge of the wire selected & the number of anchors used as support. Expect one of the multi-strand twisted or braided cable wires - in place of the galvanized wire roll that comes with the kit - would be much stronger & bear the weight of a mature rose. Since the wire is threaded through the loops that project from the anchors, would think how closely those anchors are spaced also figures into a weight capacity calculation. The tensile strength of the wire plus the number of anchors used along the line should yield a rule of thumb where the weight is distributed evenly along the span. Tumax may have this info with their professional kit instructions on their site - you might noodle around there to find it - or just contact them & ask for their load weight formula.

Have used the anchors alone, without wires, as free form supports on a stone facade. Install them on the wall where they're needed as the rose grows & loosely figure eight tie the canes to the anchor eyelet. The anchors are hidden behind the plant. Gives a pleasant natural effect to my eye, as if the rose is doing it all by itself. (Look Ma, no hands!) To allow sufficient space between the wall & the plant, often add another ring or length of rubbery plastic chain onto the eyelet & tie to that as the canes thicken, allowing me to use those spongy noodle ties or green velcro loops.

Lenarufus, Nahema is a beauty with toe-curling fragrance. Your wall coloring sets her off to perfection. New here this year as a gallon own root, she's a real charmer. Good growing to all! Sue

• Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy
    7 years ago

Wow this is great info! Please anyone who uses the Tumax trellis system... post photos once it is up! I could really use these!

7 years ago

Thank you, Sue! The whole idea is so great. I decided to give it a shot. Your weight formula makes total sense! And also I like these anchors as I wouldn't need to drill, dig and do other heavy stuff around the built of trellis!

7 years ago

Curdle, I hate when that happens!