Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maison2017

Bosch or KitchenAid convection/speed-oven combo? Help!

Mike
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi all,

We're gutting our entire house and re-doing the kitchen completely, so we got all the latitude we want. We're currently debating between the following 2 models of oven/speedoven combos :

Bosch HBL8751UC : seems to have better reviews. According to our sales rep the speed oven has a heating element which makes it more an "oven".

KitchenAid KOCE500ESS : some reliability issues, KitchenAid customer support not as good? Some people have trouble using upper and lower ovens at the same time.. it looks tricky and if you don't do it right the lower oven will just shut down when you start the upper oven.

Another thing to consider is that the refrigerator will be right next to the oven, so it has to be the same brand to match the stainless steel color... but that's for another topic.

I honestly couldn't compare any more features. Other than the bells and whistles (cooking modes and presets), I'm trying to find any functional features that make one actually better or more practical than the other. For the money we don't want to regret our purchase.

Any help or opinions are welcome!

Comments (20)

• plllog
    7 years ago

Unless it's a really weird color, the stainless will all look fine together no matter the brand. The bigger issue with the ovens next to the fridge is whether the handles bump. Some have them angled at the ends to avoid denting the fridge door when it's open, but some just have straight bars across.

Do you really need a combo unit? People really don't like them in general. And if one goes, you have to replace both.

• Mike
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for the answer. Can you elaborate on why people don't like them? I did some research and I found out people actually like the speed oven feature.

Do you anything about Bosch vs KitchenAid combos? Not sure how much I can trust salespeople (no offense if any read this but they contradict each other a lot).

Thanks for the input about stainless steel shades, I'll start another thread about that subject to try and get more answers.

• Dream
    7 years ago

From what I've heard, with Bosch combo you can replace one as they come separate. That's one reason I'm considering Bosch.

• Mike
    Original Author
    7 years ago

See, that's the kind of information salespeople don't give/know/emphasize/care about. And it's hard to find on the internet. That's what I hate about shopping for appliances in an era where information is easily accessible.

• jesslake
    7 years ago

My mom has the KitchenAid. It looks great and she is happy with the lower oven and the microwave function of the top oven. However, we can't get the top oven to operate as a true second oven (ie. without any microwave) as she was hoping. Is that important to you? I have tried and tried to cook a variety of foods (baking, roasting, broiling, or "crisping" as KitchenAid calls it) in this thing and everything turns out AWFUL, truly inedible. It does make popcorn, melt butter and reheat coffee (the only things we ever use a microwave for) perfectly. To us this is a huge disappointment as she really wanted to have a second smaller oven and that's what this looks like. She bought it in haste without a lot of research so is feeling pretty foolish.

I've looked at the Bosch as well for my kitchen and I think it can work as an oven without any microwave, as can the Miele speed oven (which I chose in the end). I also liked that the Bosch is separate from it's partner oven, just in case.

I bought a less expensive combo microwave unit last year to see if they really work and I think they are a great concept. I got the Panasonic combination microwave-steam oven, the NN-CS896S. I bought it knowing it would end up in my husband's office, or in our granny suite, but in the mean time we'd use it as a test to see if we wanted to invest in a higher end version when we redo our home kitchen. I think they are excellent for saving space (or simply not wasting space on a microwave if you only use it for popcorn and reheating coffee, as we do). It can function as a microwave or convection oven, or combination of the two (plus steam!), and bakes quite well but is slow to toast or broil compared to a toaster oven or a proper 240v oven with a top element.

I think that all of these combination units and speed ovens from different brands have different features and abilities so you have to look really closely at what they are capable of or test one out before buying. Even the sales people don't seem to know for sure unless you have access to a large appliance centre where the brand reps are training staff and doing demos. Part of why I chose the Miele is that my neighbour has one so I know exactly what it can do and I won't make the same mistake that my mom did with her KitchenAid.

• Mike
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Very informative post, thank. I'll look for that feature. Yes it's an important feature for us, and I remember a salesperson telling us the Bosch had a heating element (hidden) while the KitchenAid didn't. Maybe that's part of the problem. Definitely something worth considering :)

• Karen Eagle
    7 years ago

I have a Bosch speed oven. I use it as a second oven or microwave and for the most part I like it very much. What I am disappointed in is the sensor reheat setting. It doesn't always work. I had Bosch out and they replaced the sensor. It worked for awhile but I am having trouble with it again.

• Mike
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Do you use it as a second oven also? It looks like it can be used as one.

• Karen Eagle
    7 years ago

Yes,

as well as a warming drawer

• Mike
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I'm happy to hear it can be used as an oven.
  • Mike
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    (sorry for double post can't edit in phone app). That alone makes me lean towards the Bosch more. I read people having trouble using the KitchenAid upper and lower ovens at the same time.

Anyone used both the Bosch ovens simultaneously?
  • Karen Eagle
    7 years ago

Yes I have used the speed oven and my single Bosch oven, which is underneath, at the same time. No problem.

Mike thanked Karen Eagle
  • Mike
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Great, thanks for your answers. I think we're set on Bosch.

• HU-977036916
    3 years ago

Hello Mike, I have the same question as you posted here 3 years ago. Are you pleased with your Bosch speed oven and have you used it as a second oven? Thanks!

• Dream
    3 years ago

I know you’re asking Mike but I would like to share my experience. I‘ve used the speed oven as a second oven and it works well for that purpose but for us it’s mostly a microwave. And the door opens as an oven, the spring broke twice so far and the Sensors needed replacing once, and all this after the warranty expires. The door is heavy like a true oven door, and if you’re using as a microwave maybe it’s too much use... something to think about.

• HU-977036916
    3 years ago

I appreciate that. Thank you!

• YMM
    3 years ago

I want to add one big negative I've discovered about the oven- it's just about impossible to clean it adequately. Can't really reach the back wall. I would never roast a chicken or broil a steak in it - anything that might spatter.

• Karen Eagle
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I would not buy the Bosch speed oven again. I do love it for a small second oven . BUT I don’t like that it is not a side open door. The speed functions never worked right, even though Bosch replaced the board and the display kept getting lighter until you couldn’t read it. Luckily my husband was able to purchase and replace the front panel. My oven is 4 years old.

• Lana Shulman
    2 years ago

For those of you who has Bosch combo units, as it comes in 2 separate units, is there 2 plugs or they come on a single cord and plug?