Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beachem

Stolen/sold off quartzite saga continues

beachem
7 years ago

After complaining to the distributor about selling off my paid for slab to someone else, they supposedly found one remaining slab in that bundle in Minneapolis.

So after waiting a week for delivery, I called and they said "oh we didn't tell you? There was a crack in the slab." I think they lied and didn't want to ship it.

Bottomline, with my father being ill, I have to compromise and get the kitchen habitable.

Here are some alternative choices as none of the Fusions available anywhere is unique or gorgeous as my slab.

Leathered Fusion - it does have a washout look but hubby loves the texture.

Azul something

Azurite

Fusion blue - colder feel than my old Fusion

Fusion at another yard that's sort of like my old one but with lots of green and it's much smaller. I'm not sure the fabricator can actually work with it for my island.

The regular Fusion available are all boring with just stripes.

Comments (35)

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

I like Azurite and fusion blue in these selections .

beachem thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • aprilneverends
    7 years ago

The first and the last one

beachem thanked aprilneverends
  • Wendy
    7 years ago

fusion blue

beachem thanked Wendy
  • Pennie Heath
    7 years ago

I like the Azurite and Fusion Blue too.

beachem thanked Pennie Heath
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    7 years ago

The first one is my favorite.

beachem thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • cyc2001
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I like the fusion blue. I'm sorry to hear about all the trouble you're having - good luck!

beachem thanked cyc2001
  • my_four_sons
    7 years ago

Wow, I love that fusion blue. What are your other finishes?

beachem thanked my_four_sons
  • lharpie
    7 years ago

fusion blue!

beachem thanked lharpie
  • suzanne_sl
    7 years ago

I'd go with DH on the first one.

beachem thanked suzanne_sl
  • localeater
    7 years ago

I love the leathered fusion. I have leathered quartzite (Madre Perla) and I love it. But if you dont like the look of leathered could they polish that slab for you? My second pick is the Fusion Blue.

beachem thanked localeater
  • vpierce
    7 years ago

Fusion blue

beachem thanked vpierce
  • townlakecakes
    7 years ago

Don't love the leathered fusion. It just looks unfinished, not leathered. Like you'd get dust on your hand if you wiped it across. I love the azul something. Looks like the universe in a slab. Fusion Blue is gorgeous, but feels icy.

beachem thanked townlakecakes
  • Meganmca
    7 years ago

I like the Azurite & the last one (presuming, of course, that it's big enough!). But I like more warm in a kitchen, the whole cold grey/blue thing is in--fusion blue looks good for that look. I hope that whatever you choose, you end up liking, that's for sure! Is there a sink on your island? Could you consider an entirely different thing like wood? Just because it seems like everything'll always be worse than the one that got away, from the way you sound.

beachem thanked Meganmca
  • french toast
    7 years ago

azurite

beachem thanked french toast
  • beachem
    Original Author
    7 years ago

This was my original slab. It looked like a Van Gogh painting in person with vibrant colors and movements.

It also had a warmer feel than the Fusion Blue.

I had designed all the colors and sizes in the kitchen around it.

The "white" cabinets has a gray tone. The burgundy oven happen to match the rust streaks too. Oh well.

Sorry about the mess. I had to clear room for the oven installers then the hospital hit. I haven't touch the kitchen in a month and a half.

For the perimeter and backsplash, I was thinking of zinc since it would be an affordable DIY option.

• Jillius
    7 years ago

The fusion blue is stunning. I actually said "wow" out loud when I saw it. It looks like a cross between a geode and water swirling dramatically. Very cool. I've never seen anything like that.

I truly empathize with how much your boat has been rocked by having to rethink a major decision that was already made. Especially given how tortured this whole process has been for you. However, I actually think the fusion blue has way more interesting movement than your original choice, and, as I said, I've never seen anything like it before. I love normal fusion slabs A LOT, but I have seen several of them at this point. If you want something truly special, I think the fusion blue would do you proud for sure.

Perhaps you can bring more warmth/color into the room another way?

beachem thanked Jillius
  • aprilneverends
    7 years ago

Fusion Blue doesn't help an appetite..it's a very cold feel. I also much prefer wavy slabs, like your previous one..or the first one between now-choices, or the last that might be too small.

Of course it's extremely personal.

I think it will be a gorgeous kitchen, even with a different slab..it will all work out wonderfully. You'll forget this slab story at some point..you'll be in love with your new choice.

I had something similar(even though much less maddening since nobody's fault) with my first choice flooring, 6 years ago. I was so, so upset. I had to choose everything from the beginning. The first one was gorgeous..

Believe it or not-I don't remember at all what was it exactly.

Of course it's not where you are right now..not yet. But the time will come, and you will be.

There is also this strange thing..maybe it happens only to me lol..but if I vaguely feel something I chose is in danger of being "not loved enough"-I start loving it more..:)

Does Quartzite scratch?

I'm still thinking about the magical-nobody-knows-what-it-is-stone in our new master bath. Very different colors but very similar feel. Only it does scratch..if you go over it with a nail, or something..

beachem thanked aprilneverends
  • lindsaymarie79
    7 years ago

I like the leathered one. :-)

beachem thanked lindsaymarie79
  • Russ Barnard
    7 years ago

if you can get the fusion blue... it is the terracotta colors in the original one that I think add the warmth. You can make that up with accent pieces of similar color.

They are all beautiful choices.

We went leathers on uba tuba and do not regret it at all.

R

beachem thanked Russ Barnard
  • homechef59
    7 years ago

Of the choices, Fusion Blue. That will be handsome when it's on the horizontal.

I covet those double ovens.

beachem thanked homechef59
  • Briana Johnson
    7 years ago

leathered fusion and fusion blue are gorgeous!

beachem thanked Briana Johnson
  • nicole___
    7 years ago

I don't like "leathered" texture on stone. My fireplace mantel has texture. Sounds like you need to call around and find the one "you" originally had picked out from another distributor. You sound so disappointed. I'm sorry that happened to you.

beachem thanked nicole___
  • hobokenkitchen
    7 years ago

I'm so sorry you lost your slabs, that is such BS. : (

That said the Fusion Blue is AMAZING - much more my taste than the original slabs. I also like the Azul but that Fusion Blue is to die for.

beachem thanked hobokenkitchen
  • Lisa
    7 years ago

I think they are all beautiful actually. Looking at your picture and the old slab it seems like the Azul or Azurite might go better with everything, but it is hard to say. I love the Fusion blue, but I'm not sure it would pull everything together as well.

But I think every one of them would be a major focal point in your kitchen. They all look like paintings to me. It stinks that you lost your original. Hopefully you will eventually love what you end up with. I do think any of them could be amazing.

beachem thanked Lisa
  • Sherry8aNorthAL
    7 years ago

Is the stone only going on the island with something else on the perimeter? The reason I ask is: Could you finish the rest of the kitchen as planned and put something on the island like Ikea butcher block temporary? Just to finish the kitchen now and keep looking until you find a slab that you love. You could then redo the island and sell or donate the temporary top. This would get you through the hospital stuff and the holidays.

When you find another slab, I would probably stand with my hand on it until I could get it home!

beachem thanked Sherry8aNorthAL
  • Lisa G
    7 years ago

Based on the look of your stolen slab, Azurite would be my pick for you. The Blue Fusion is gorgeous but it's much too cold for your kitchen unless you really want to embrace that. The leathered Fusion is nice but it doesn't have the qualities you found in your previous slab (and I agree it looks like it would be dusty). I also really like the smaller Fusion slab as it's quite similar to your last slab...if the fabricator can make it work and you're okay with the green tone of it I would pick that one. If not, Azurite for sure.

beachem thanked Lisa G
  • beachem
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@akrogirl your slab looks beautiful. I think Phoenix is a bit far because I bought the slab thru a 3rd party directly from importers. It allowed me to save 50% off what other people were being charged. I don't think he can get the same deals in Phoenix as he can with the companies he buys a lot from.

@Sherry the slab is only going on the island. The perimeter and backsplash are undetermined but probably zinc since I can make it for about $1000 total.

Thank you everyone so far for your feedback. I haven't had a chance to absorb anything yet. I just ran around, took some pictures in the two hours I had free and then nada.

I didn't have an immediate emotional connection like I did with the original so it will have to be lugging in the doors and see which works well at integrating everything.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

I'm not a fan of the fusion blue. Don't like the movement or lack of color.

I like the idea to just put something cheap on for now until you fund the one that wows you again. I know with my slabs, every time I go to the fabricator and see my slabs, I just have a visceral need to touch them and stare. I'm sure that's how you felt about your fusion. So don't rush it.

Now having said that, to me the one I like the most of all your choices is the Azurite.

• Stan B
    7 years ago

Some fabricators will store the slab for you. Too easy for a customer to rip off or swap the tag and sale information while no one is looking and rush it out of the slab yard before anyone catches on.

• practigal
    7 years ago

I think these look really great in the giant slab form but part of what you'll be losing when you cut them is that large size. Will you still like it when it's cut down?

• mrspete
    7 years ago

I like 2, 3, 5 ... dislike 4. Oh, but I'm grieving with you for your original stone -- it was fantastic. As you said, Van Gogh.

I like the idea to just put something cheap on for now until you fund the one that wows you again.

In general, I don't like the idea of planned obsolescence ... but in this case, I think it might be justified. Could you slap down some cheap Ikea butcher block just to be done and search for another perfect slab at your leisure, once your father is well again (sorry 'bout that, by the way). I saw Ikea has a discontinued butcher block color on clearance for $40/very long cabinet run -- it was in their scratch-and-dent room. A slab of butcher block you could likely re-purpose elsewhere later.

Looking back at this chaotic situation -- and I'm sure they cheated you, though it can't be proven -- do you have any advice for the rest of us? Any way to try to prevent such a thing?

• CEFreeman_GW DC/MD Burbs 7b/8a
    7 years ago

Beechem, I am SO SORRY. Your slab is incredible.
    That said, every single one of them had me ooOOoing and aaahhhing -- except #2. They really all do look like water colors. Just amazing stone. The final pic you don't think is big enough would be the one I go with. It just grabbed me.

Don't settle. I lived with Plywood for almost 10 years. Ugly, but I needed my AH! moment. i.e., emotional connection. If you buy something expensive to top your island, you'll hate your island and then hate the $$ you wasted on it. I know you have a lot on your plate, but I made 16' of butcherblock counter myself in a weekend. What took the longest was for the glue to dry.

What, if any, recourse do you have? This can't be the 1st fabricator to screw up like this. Or, even, this probably isn't the 1st time they've sold something for more money than the original purchaser was paying.

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    7 years ago

First one.

On a side note, I let my husband pick the new countertops we just put in our cabin as he does most of the cooking. He chose leathered and while I didn't love it at first, after living with it for about a month I love it.

• just_janni
    7 years ago

I think the Azurite is lovely and closest to your original. It will also be warmer - I like the blue but it really does not go with your cabs.