Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandmanuva

Can I level a sloped back yard?

sandmanuva
7 years ago

I live in Charlotte, NC. The backyard of my house is sloped with a pretty significant 3-4 ft drop at the furthest point from the house. This is frustrating, since part of our property is unusable. I'm also hoping to put in a new swing-set for our 4 & 2 year old, but will have trouble finding enough level space. I'm wondering if it would be feasible/affordable to build a retaining wall near the end of the yard and use fill dirt to flatten things out. A couple considerations:

1. the two pine trees are growing right out of the slope I'd want to level. Any ideas on working around that?

2. there is a small stream about 20 feet beyond where the fence currently is. Not sure how this might affect things

3. On the other side of the stream are some townhouses. The stretch of woods provides good privacy in the summer, but we would potentially want to plant an evergreen privacy option someday, very close to the edge of the retaining wall could be.

4. I'm happy to put in some manual labor and will be excited to pull something like this off. That said, my "advanced" landscaping experience is limited to building a small firepit with gravel seating area, building a brick patio and removing smaller trees (under 15'). i don't know much about terraces or potential pitfalls of re-grading yards.

I've attached a couple pictures to the post. The current swing-set came with the house and is in really bad shape. An ideal location for a new one would be the opposite side of the yard so it could be clearly see from the house.

Any advice?

Comments (3)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    7 years ago

There are two approaches to leveling grade: one is to "cut" and one is to "fill." Usually, one tries to combine and balance these approaches so that cut and fill are moderated, and so one does not need to "import" or "export" large amounts of material, which could become very expensive. Pushing an amount of soil around a site is cheaper than buying more and bringing it in, or trucking an excess out in order to get rid of it.

It depends entirely on how much cutting or filling is to be done in order to guess the likelihood that established trees will tolerate it and survive. If the amount will be drastic, then the trees will not likely survive and should be removed as part of the project. When it comes to mature tree removal, often regulations and permitting come into play, so it would be necessary to find out up front if the project is going to have this complication.

In the pictures we see a patch of ground, but nothing of the grade that surrounds it, so it's going to be hard to advise you on what scheme you should work toward or what pitfalls you might encounter.

"... our property is unusable. I'm also hoping to put in a new swing-set for our 4 & 2 year old, but will have trouble finding enough level space."

I would like to challenge your thinking on this. To me, a hill, a stream and some trees and shrubs sound like the basis of a potentially extraordinary play area! Consider scrapping the idea of installing a ready-made play set and building instead, a custom creation that takes advantage of the conditions that already exist. Could there be a slide going down the hill? ... steps going up it? ... a bridge across the stream? ... swings from the trees? ... a "fort," ... zip line, etc.? All of these things could be done much easier and less expensively than a thorough regrading/tree removal project, which would be messy and not fun (except for the fact of seeing something accomplished.) These would be fun things to build, too, doing one part of the project at a time. Of course, all of the planning would be done up front and committed to paper so that you understood that all things will fit, work and be do-able. It would begin with a piece of paper that shows the major elements that exist and will be retained, and the property line.

• PRO
    Revolutionary Gardens
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I'm always going to plug finding a local landscape designer, but especially here because we just did a similar project. Every contractor who came in was advocating 8 ft walls and craziness, and we did it with two 30" walls and actually created a stronger transition to get their kid into the wooded area to play. Search for a local pro, there's a button for that above. Even if you DIY it, it'll give you some guidance.

To your questions:

1- you'll have a lot more options if you lose the pines, unless you're willing to bring the wall well in front of them. In that case, I don't know how much value you get from the process.

2- it's worth checking with your city or county. There may be specific regs in your area that deal w/ disturbance of soil within XXX feet of a waterway. It may be as simple as you being required to but up silt fence, but cheaper to know in advance.

3- that decision would be site specific (for example, prevailing winds) as well as specific to the type and construction of wall.

4- I've seen plenty of DIY walls. Some are pro quality, some are horrifying, some are in between. Once you control for the variable of relevant experience, it seems to come down to patience, attention to detail, willingness to seek advice, and willingness to see something that went wonky and tear it out and redo.

If you've done a brick patio you'll have some of the basic skills for wall building under your belt. You can square up corners, you can level an area, etc. Grading just comes down to only using the biggest tool you can confidently use. I have guys who work for me who can use a bobcat to feather out a nearly perfect finished grade that only needs a bare minimum amount of raking. I'd end up taking out a car-sized chunk of hill, so I need to do it by hand (which is why I'm management).

We're in VA so we usethis typical details packet as a starting reference for walls that don't require engineering. Note that if you were to use a segmental retaining wall (as in the interlocking concrete blocks by companies like Techo-Bloc and New Line), most municipalities don't have typical details as in the above. If your wall will require a permit and you use a segmental wall product, you'll need to get an engineer's stamp.

You have an interesting project, and I think bringing in a design pro would be hugely helpful. Yard brings up a great point in his comment, that you have a terrific opportunity to create a blend between more structured space and the woods beyond. I'd love to see that developed, for sure.

• PRO
    Backyard Fun Factory
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I am not sure if you are still looking to put in a play structure of some kind, but we work with slopes and/or trees....no need to do any work on your current yard. Here are a few pictures of sets we have installed in unique spaces.

Tree House · More Info

Tree House · More Info

Tree House · More Info

Just FYI....have a great day!