Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hanna_dacquel

My succulent lost all of it's roots

Hanna Dacquel
7 years ago

I was watering the poor thing and the rest of the leaves are pretty much health. I pulled off the old ones. I notice that my moss has blackened amd there were pests around my plant. So when I go check, my whole entire succulent snapped off its roots and now it has no roots. What do I do? I also need to know what type of succulent is this? Is moss a bad choice of soil? Is there a way I cna save it? If so what would happen to it if it doesn't have roots?

Comments (21)

• mesembs
    7 years ago

1. What do I do? Look below to number 4.

2. What type of succulent is it? It first strikes me as a Haworthia, but I am not sure what kind. It could also be a cross between a Haworthia and Aloe. I will make sure to post back if I figure out what it is.

3. Is moss a bad soil choice? I am assuming that the loss of roots was a result of the moss (at least part of it). So yes, avoid using moss in the future.

4. Is there any way I can save it? In fact, there is a way you can save it. I would take a sharp sterile knife, and slice off a bit of the end (stump), until you find clean, healthy tissue. At this point, you can dust it lightly with cinnamon to protect against further rot. Let it rest for a couple days in a cool, dry, shaded place to callous. When the callousing period is over, put the plant upright in DRY soil (you may need to prop it up). I have no idea how long it may take to grow new roots, but you can expect roots (I think...) before the end of two weeks.

The soil you choose is very important. I suggest a mix of 60% perlite and 40% cactus and succulent soil. The perlite will need to be sifted, and you can do that in a kitchen strainer. Make sure the container you plant it in has drainage holes in the bottom, otherwise it will start going downhill again...

Good luck!

~palmsandsnow

Hanna Dacquel thanked mesembs
  • raxidor
    7 years ago

It looks like Haworthia limifolia and yes, pure moss is very bad as growing substrate for succulents. To make better substrate, take a common bag soil and mix it with at least 50 % of inorganic fraction - perlite, pumice or any fine stone grit. Fill a terracotta pot with that substrate and let your plant sit on it. Water it lightly sometimes, the plant should make new roots soon. Also give it a bit more light than it had before, the new central leaf looks etiolated.

Hanna Dacquel thanked raxidor
  • Crenda 10A SW FL
    7 years ago

Are you new to succulents, Hanna? They like fast draining soil, lots of sunlight and only water when the potting mix is dry. They can rot easily with improper watering or soil mix, but can also be quite forgiving once the proper conditions are given.

Good advice above. Ask more questions if you have them.

Hanna Dacquel thanked Crenda 10A SW FL
  • Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    7 years ago

But, it's not all the moss' fault.

Haworthias are known for sometimes losing their roots, I've had to restart some from time to time, even tho' I grow in very fast draining mix w/pumice.

The dusting of cinnamon will help, it's a natural anti-fungal.

Haworthias can go some time btwn waterings & is a succulent about which we would say about watering:

when in doubt, don't

(& then wait another few days before you do).

Hanna Dacquel thanked Karen S. (7b, NYC)
  • robinswfl
    7 years ago

I think Karen is right. I learned about not watering a propagation plant from one of Rina's posts, and it was good advice. Haworthias can cannibalize their own roots and there is still plenty of plant, energy and growth to be had. You can just stick that Haw in a mix of exactly what people have described -- chicken grit, pumice, turface, perlite (I prefer the non-organic mixes myself) and wait. Give it warmth and nice indirect light…and wait patiently.

I once broke off (by accident) a great leaf from a Sansevieria Boncel when I toppled it over. Repotted the main plant and stuck the broken leaf in a little pot of small-size turface. Three months later, sure enough -- a new little plant poked its head out of the mix. Patience IS a virtue. Good luck with your Haw.

Hanna Dacquel thanked robinswfl
  • Hanna Dacquel
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Update: I did change my soil and also plant it with cactus mix. I also dust the bottom with ground cinnamon dust. In two weeks, my hawarthia leaves started to shrivel. Is this a bad sign that my plant is dying. How will I save it, I can't even tell if the plant has roots yet. Please reply as possible.

• mesembs
    7 years ago

Leaves will shrivel a bit, but a succulent can easily recover from shriveling. If it becomes majorly shriveled, then you have a problem.

Hanna Dacquel thanked mesembs
  • Hanna Dacquel
    Original Author
    7 years ago

What happens if hypothetically majorly shriveled? I have seen three or four shriveled and some are close to shriveling? What shall I do?

• baumannh
    7 years ago

At this point I would go buy some rooting hormone and dip the bottom of the plant in the rooting hormone (dilute per instructions on the box). Plant your plant in soil as others have specified (2 parts perlite or pumice to 1 part potting soil) and maybe give it a TINY TINY bit of water. I would probably water it very very sparingly once every 2-3 weeks.

• mesembs
    7 years ago

Then, yes, rooting hormone may help, although by that time, it may be too late to save. I also disagree about the watering. Watering while it has no roots will do absolutely nothing besides help it to rot.

• Maria Elena (Caribbean - USDA Zone 13a)
    7 years ago

Hi, Hannah -

Succulents are extremely resilient and can recoup from a loss of roots ... even all of them. You have to act fast and be very patient.

See my recent post on an aloe that lost all its roots. My Mom put it in topsoil of all things.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/4252269/rerooted-and-saved-aloe-double-rosettes?n=1

The key is to remove all rot, allow to callous over, and prop on DRY substrate until you see new growth. Zero roots = no uptake system. Please do not water until you see new growth, and then sparingly ... Every 2-4 weeks is sufficient in winter.

Give it time to recoup. It may get ugly and lose additional leaves (remove them) before you see signs of a healthy plant again. I believe every plant is worth an attempt to nurse it back to health. I hope to see a positive outcome in a month or two. Lessons learned, right?

Maria Elena

Hanna Dacquel thanked Maria Elena (Caribbean - USDA Zone 13a)
  • Hanna Dacquel
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I checked the plant and the root is rotting I don't know how to save it. some of the leaves are turning brown but the center is still white. Should I cut off the leaves and try to save them?

• garrett222
    7 years ago

Looking back at the beginning of your post, I don't think there was even a problem with the piece you had; there were no cuts that needed to be made.

It can survive much much longer without roots due to its leaf storages, so I wouldn't worry about it dehydrating.

I think you have 'brown due to natural callousing' confused with rot, and though there is no picture, I really doubt it would have rotted this fast unless you really messed up somehow. I'm pretty sure its natural and normal callousing, but pls post a picture.

Also, i think you are cherishing and loving your succulents too much-leave them alone! By constantly pulling them up and checking to see if they have roots or not, you are disturbing minuscule roots that would eventually grow into healthy ones. Succulents are tough, desert plants, so they don't prefer this kind of treatment.

• Celeste
    7 years ago

Shriveling leaves aren't THAT big of a deal. When your plant doesn't have roots, it can't uptake water, so it's bound to lose a couple of leaves. If it's still rotting (you should definitely post some pictures to be sure), then you should cut the stem up higher.

I also would not recommend any watering at all. When I propagate succulents like this, I just fill a terracotta saucer with completely dry soil, set the cutting on top, and leave it alone. After a few weeks, I check for roots, and if I see some, I move it to the spot where I ultimately wanted it to grow. I definitely do not water if I don't see roots. Even after they start to grow, I withhold for a bit (as long as the leaves don't look too puckered). It's better to be stingy with water than to have to repeat this whole process again.

One other thing that may inhibit root growth is the amount of sunlight your plant is getting. I had a haworthia/aloe cross that took a couple months to re-root, and really bounced back only when I was able to place it outside in full sun. You should put your plant in a south facing window, if possible, or maybe consider a grow light.

Hanna Dacquel thanked Celeste
  • Hanna Dacquel
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hello, just an update. I checked if my plants have grown roots yet and the leaves are seperated so I am not sure. I don't have time to get root hormone so instead I let it sit there for a while. These are the photos of the plant:

I am not sure if the browning is a good sign but here is the bottom:

I am not sure if there are roots growing yet. Please reply back as possible.

7 years ago

Hannah,

Please read through carefully and follow the above advice. Please do not remove the plant from the soil again. By doing that, you're disturbing the natural rooting process & significantly reducing any chance of saving it.

Rooting hormone is not necessary ... You can lightly sprinkle a little cinnamon or nutmeg on the root area. That will serve as an antifungal and help with rooting. Remember to withhold water until it's rooted or you see new growth. It takes 1-2 months for a succulent to root ... please be patient. You'll do best to forget it for 6 weeks.

You'll know it has rooted when you begin to see new growth or when you get resistance when you give it a very light tug. But please don't uproot it.

Maria Elena

• garrett222
    7 years ago

I'm sorry to say this, but I think your plant is too far gone. From your first picture to your current picture, it seems to have lost about 2 inches of stem. The only way this could have happened is if you placed it in a water retaining soil or watered it frequently. Remember, if your succulent does not have roots, it can't even take in water. Also, from the looks of the top leaves it appears that it did not get enough light.

Hanna Dacquel thanked garrett222
  • Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hannah,

I'm sorry to say I have to agree w/ Garrett; your plant is gone, the fact of the leaves being separate confirms it. The plant has rotted at its base which held it together.

Pls look again at the 1st pic. See that rounded, white bottom, the base of the plant? That's the central core of the plant, which appears to have rotted on yours.

The softening mush is rot, from which it can no longer recover.

In future should you try another one of these you might try getting all supplies first, then the plant & most importantly, one needs to leave these plants alone to grow. They do best w/ minimal care & actual neglect.

See the small plantlets around the base?

They're each like one of pups you were trying to grow. I'll look to see if I can find pix of the pups showing their roots.

This has been a favorite plant of mine for years, reminds me of living sculpture.

Hanna Dacquel thanked Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    7 years ago

Upon closer view of your last photo, I concur with Karen & Garrett. Sorry.

• Hanna Dacquel
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you so much everyone for responding back and giving me tips and advices. I am really sad that this would happen. Honestly, this is my first succulent plant and I am sad that I failed to keep it alive. I am really sorry... Thank you for your kindness, everyone. I will take your advices in the future.