Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pippiep

Favorite DIY roman shade (real/faux) tutorial?

pippiep
7 years ago

Hi all! I've been getting quotes for roman shades and they are much higher than I'd anticipated! Even the budget places are 650+.

I have a sewing machine. I've pretty much only used it to hem things and make sleep sacks when my kids were babies. But, I know how to use it. I'm guessing the hardest part about DIY roman shades is the space needed and all the measuring. Or is it much worse than that for a novice sewer? We have at least 11 windows to do, but ideally, there will be at least 8 more, and maybe 7 more after that.

Do you have a favorite tutorial for making real or faux roman shades? I watched the sailrite video for real roman shades, and might go with that one... and I found a no-sew faux tutorial, though I'm more comfortable sewing.

I want the hobbled look, and it will have to be outside mounted, above the window casing. My husband is a woodworker, so he can figure out the header part. I want to make sure that whatever I make looks good (or decent) from the side, since it will be visible. If we go with faux, we'll have roller shades mounted on the casing.

Thanks!!

Comments (10)