Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elocs1

Is the fridge bolted down in older mobile home?

Steve Elocs
7 years ago

I live in a mobile home that is nearly 50 years old and I've been here for over 25 years. It still has the original refrigerator which still works but has seen better days (freezer door broke and I had to cobble together a new one). From the beginning I could never move the fridge to clean behind it because there was so little room around it to even wiggle it to get it moving. So since it continued to work well I decided to leave well enough alone and not make any great effort to move it.

But I'm thinking it will need to be replaced in the next year so I'm wondering if it is somehow bolted down. I've been under the trailer many times but I've never seen any indication of it being fastened down so I'm wondering if it will somehow slide out if I put some muscle into it and seriously try and get it to move.

Any ideas? TIA

Comments (9)

• Steve Elocs
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I took off the plate there are 2 threaded bolts sticking up but they look like they are to adjust the feet. The fridge is really nestled in between an outer wall and the stove with the oven above it and you cannot even get your fingers in to wiggle it. Plus, there is a cupboard just 2 inches above it. There is really no room to wiggle it side to side or front to back. I haven't worried about it for years because it's has worked well enough but I think its time is near. It's an old Philco and I would bet any new refrigerator you buy now would never last 50 years (but neither will I).

• KATHY
    7 years ago

Screw up those levelers all the way, any little wheels at the front you can see? Should be able to pull it out.

• Steve Elocs
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Those feet and screw are pretty well frozen in place after 50 years.

It somehow seems like it needs to come straight out and there must be a technique to do this but I don't know what it may be. I'm not ready to actually move it yet because there's still food in it, but I would like to know I would be able to do it when the time came rather than have the delivery guys wonder why I didn't at least have the old fridge moved out.

They put this sucker in when it was built and I bet it was a lot easier than trying to remove it decades later.

• cathyyg
    7 years ago

Yeah, refrigerators in tight cubbies are no fun to move. Leave it to the experts, the experts being the guys delivering the new refrigerator. When you buy a new refrigerator the store typically will offer removal of the old one with delivery of the new one. It might cost an extra $50 or so, but do it. Have it all empty and ready to go. Put your food in a cooler, since it will take 24 hours before the new refrigerator can be turned on if it was not kept upright during the move and delivery, and up to 24 more hours to come to stable temp after you turn it on.

If you do want to move it yourself, have it empty and rock it straight forward, maybe using the open door as a lever. You may break the hinges, though, so be careful.

Measure your opening in all dimensions and see if you can find a refrigerator of appropriate size.

Steve Elocs thanked cathyyg
  • Steve Elocs
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I think I will take out the small cupboard above the refrigerator so height is no limit and maybe make it easier so remove. It does tip a little bit forward but other than laying it down on its door and pulling it out there is just no room to wiggle it to move it out. It fits into that spot like a hand in a glove.

I'm not quite ready to get rid of it yet but I had hoped when the time came that I could at least have it moved out into the kitchen to make it easier to remove because that's not going to be an easy task either.

50 years of service is pretty good for an appliance that runs 24/7 every day of the year.

• KATHY
    7 years ago

Wonder if you could put a strap around the back which might make it easier to pull straight out

• PRO
    D B Electric
    7 years ago

There maybe a strap in the back screwed to the wall for transport I have seen that with older and newer mobile homes. Yank pull and tug something will eventually give or get a sawal out and cut the thing in sections to save further damage to floors and walls

• Steve Elocs
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Well it does tip forward a little bit until the top hits the cupboard above it and stops it. When the time comes for it to go I will take out that cupboard so height isn't an issue for a new fridge, but it will allow me to tip it all the way to the floor and then to slide it forward enough until I could lift it up again. At least that's how I hope it will work.