Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tmal14

Engineered Flooring Brands

tmal14
7 years ago

Currently we are looking to replace all the flooring on our first floor. Right now we are having tough time deciding between the different price points and the different brands. I would prefer to stay close to the $5-6/per foot range, but could be willing to go up or down. :)

Does anyone have any good brand recommendations for an engineered wire-brushed/scraped floor? We have two kids and two dogs and know that presents some issues to any would floor, but something that holds up well under those conditions will go a long way to clarifying our decision.

We’ve looked at and liked samples of Naturally Aged Flooring, Kraus flooring, and Stonewood but there isn’t much online regarding those brands. Additionally, I would prefer to stay away from cheap Chinese stuff (which I think these are sourced from) if possible.

Right now we are lost in the details of wear layer, oxide coatings, plywood thickness, etc. If I could get some help to narrow down to a few brands it will help make the decision that much easier. I live in Cleveland, Ohio so I have access to most major flooring types, but even if not local, I would consider buying online.

Thanks in advance for any help/recommendations.

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    7 years ago

Kraus works for me. Decent brand with a decent reputation. Others include Armstrong. Bruce. Shaw. All the big names will have engineered hardwood in their line-ups. The product that you want to work with: wire brush finish = specialty finish. Getting into the lower price range, will be difficult. In fact, you might want to go UP....$7-$9/sf is the start line for decent (not highest quality) products. To get into the "nice" stuff (a step up from 'decent') in a wire brush, you are getting into the $12/sf range.

The lower your price range...the less likely you are to work with anything other than Asian sourced flooring. Your price range may have to be adjusted to suite all of your criteria.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Kahr's canvas line is in the $7.00 a square foot price range.

• handmethathammer
    7 years ago

We installed Hallmark Hardwoods http://hallmarkfloors.com/ over two years ago and I couldn't be more pleased with my floors. The flooring store we eventually went with (we shopped around) didn't carry this brand, but ordered it for us, and the installer was impressed with the quality of the product. He said there was little waste and good lengths to the boards.

We went with them because at the time, they had the thickest layer of hardwood on top and claimed it could be refinished three times.

They have good customer service, too. I was recommending them a month or so ago and noticed I could register my floors and get a free cleaning product. I did and they sent me the free cleaner, plus a $10 Target card.

• lauraalarid2002
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

MaxWoods is Made in USA. I got engineered hickory, wire-brushed, micro-bevel(the Monticello line) 7.5 in wide planks for around $5 a foot. Gorgeous and we love it! When I had the sample I rubbed my dog's nails over it and it didn't scratch. I picked this floor over another American made hickory because it had a thicker wear layer and a lifetime warranty.

Here is the link for MaxWoods. they pride themselves on being Made in USA.

http://maxwoodsfloors.com/

I can't explain the width anomaly mentioned below. Boxes were all marked "Made in USA"

• PRO
    Uptown Floors
    7 years ago

I've always looked at a 7 1/2" width as a dead giveaway of being made overseas (China). Same with 4 3/4" and other odd numbers. USA made is typically manufactured in inches or inches with 1/4" fractions. IE: 5" wide plank, 3 1/4" plank. As long as you're happy with it, all the better.

• wacokid
    7 years ago

We recently had around 1000 sq ft of Bella Cera, Ruscello, installed in
    our den and living/dining room. It turned out to be around $10/sq ft
    installed. We paid as much for the installation as the wood. It was
    installed 99.5% perfect. One small board has a little noise. We really
    like how it turned out. It is just my wife and myself, no dogs, so we
    won't wear it out. I think the installation is the key to success. We
    had 10 doors and two fireplaces they undercut, they all look great. They used Shaw
    URE Bond, Para patch plus 25#-whatever that stuff is,
    reducers-T-molding, etc

Dining/Living Room · More Info

...The floor was made in China-and I only found that
    out when the boxes were delivered....We are happy, it was the last
    project finishing our house.

Dining/Living Room · More Info

• Julia I.
    2 years ago

@ unique floors, does Teka uses formaldehyde in their engineered wood floors?

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals