Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hobbyartisan

When will these eureekas be ripe?

These eureekas have been changing color pretty rapidly but they are still rock hard? Any idea as to how much longer they will take to ripen?

Also will the softening be a sign of ripeness or do I go by color? These are my first ever!!

Comments (19)

• kos_toni09
    7 years ago

I usually pick mine when they look like the ones on ur picture.

That way they are very fresh and tart.

• jinnylea
    7 years ago

Hobby, your Eureka fruit is so gorgeous ! I have no idea when they would be ripe enough to pick but it would seem like you would want a bit of give and softness to it. What do you plan on doing with the fruit after you pick it? I have one Genoa Lemon that is taking forever to ripen.

hobbyartisan (Saskatoon, SK Canada, 2b) thanked jinnylea
  • Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

Those look great Hobby! I don't know about Eurekas, but I leave my Meyers on the tree until I use them - within reason. I was thinking this morning that I may remove the five remaining lemons from Alexander. He is looking a bit stressed and we still have months to go before he can go back outside. It does not help that he is trying to grow a huge amount of tiny lemons. Jinny, I want to see a pic of that Genoa lemon when it ripens and when you cut it open, please! I am still lusting over those. I am waiting for my photography order to come through and when it does, I will be shopping for a greenhouse!! Yay!

hobbyartisan (Saskatoon, SK Canada, 2b) thanked Laura LaRosa (7b)
  • poncirusguy6b452xx
    7 years ago

I would start picking each lemon when you need it. Store the others on the tree.

6b Steve

hobbyartisan (Saskatoon, SK Canada, 2b) thanked poncirusguy6b452xx
  • jemmalix
    7 years ago

Yummy! They look great, hobby! =)

I think if it were my tree I would sample one lemon right now and let the rest ripen a bit more before I try again, and I would compare the taste.

I hope you post a picture when you cut one open!

hobbyartisan (Saskatoon, SK Canada, 2b) thanked jemmalix
  • hobbyartisan (Saskatoon, SK Canada, 2b)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Awesome thanks all! I think I am going to try and make Laura's meyer bars so I want to save them up, but they do seem to be ripening at different times so I may just have to go for it at some point :). Yes I will photo the big event at the first picking.

Yes Jinny keep us updated on that Genoa please!

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

You you will love those bars Hobby. I took off Alexander's ripe lemons since he seems a bit stressed. I am going to make those again.

• johnmerr
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Don't expect lemon bars made with Eureka lemons to compare with those made with Meyers; but they will still be good, I am sure. My Mother used to make Lemon Lassies with Meyers; and the family always asked for more; I think I have the recipe somewhere, but I have never made them... it is a most complicated procedure.

hobbyartisan (Saskatoon, SK Canada, 2b) thanked johnmerr
  • hobbyartisan (Saskatoon, SK Canada, 2b)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Those lassies sound delicious John, I just googled. That is definitely something I would try!

• Tam Tran
    7 years ago

What area of the US are you from Laura LaRosa? Your potted trees are beautiful. I received some pretty healthy citrus in early fall. My house was under renovation and so they sat in a pretty lit garage until we had below freezing temps last week. I brought them indoors with me. I get to see them multiple times a day now and starting to notice how they've been thriving with minimal care. Now that my house is almost done, I want to re-pot some of these trees. Should I do it now or wait till Spring? I plan to keep some of them permanently indoors while others will be moving towards the outdoors after the last frost and back indoors when it gets too cold. I am in the Seattle Area. I am unsure of which tree is which and what all the varieties are. I know there are Moro blood oranges, Oro blanco grapefruits, cocktail grapefruits, rangpur lime, page mandarin, Washington navel and other varieties.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

Tam Tran, I live in Maryland. It has gotten very cold here the last couple of days - yuck! My trees have been inside since the latter part of Oct. If your trees are fine now, I would not repot until Spring. It's much easier and better for them. Your collection sounds lovely! I'm getting excited because some of my trees are blooming for the first time - even my blood oranges. I will tell you this: although these trees look beautiful indoors, they will not thrive unless you have a true solarium. I leave mine outdoors for as long as I possibly can and part of the reason they look so healthy is because they spent March-October soaking up rain and sun.

John, I need to look up that recipe as well!!

• johnmerr
    7 years ago

Laura,

That looks like the recipe and procedure I remember; they are best with Meyer lemons, but you have to add a little more juice because it is "softer".

For the zest, when using Meyers you can just peel with a vegetable peeler and chop it; that is because there is no bitterness in the peel of a Meyer.

• jemmalix
    7 years ago

That recipe looks divine. <3_<3

Bookmarked! I wish my Meyers would hurry up and ripen in time for my Christmas feast. Are you going to make them, Laura? If you do, please report back to us! =D

• johnmerr
    7 years ago

jemma,

If you are in the Northern hemisphere, your Meyers should be ripe now. Even if they are not full yellow (a climate effect), they are still ripe. My coastal Meyers do not get yellow, unless we degreen them with ethylene or darkness; but inside they are exactly the same as the full yellow fruits.

• Tam Tran
    7 years ago

Laura: do you provide your potted trees with grow lights during the months they are indoors. I am supplementing with grow lights since Seattle is pretty grey especially this time of year with very little natural lights. I am curious if I can keep them this way year round. The Australian lime tree's

hape and foliage is just magnificent that I want to keep it as an indoor plant year round.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

I will try it and let you guys know! Thanks for the advice John. I usually use a microplane for the zest...I suppose that should work. Tam, this is the first year I've used artificial light, but I have a few very bright areas in my home. This year I had so many trees that I added the lights. So far they seem ok. I just use 23 watt led 6500k bulbs. I bought cheap floor lamps at IKEA for them.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

Tam, your trees look great. Love the finger lime! Still, I warn you about keeping them inside all year. I don't think it will do nearly as well as outside and it will be much more vulnerable to pests.