Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
malsh_k

Please help me plan our master bathroom

Dream
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

It's a new construction, entry door and the window can be placed anywhere we like. We're decided to go for a single bowl vanity and we would like to have lot of counter space. And we woukd like to have a walk in Shower, maybe with a shower head in one side and a telephone shower on the other end. I would like to have the laundry basket in the bathroom too.

Please help me come up with a plan that would optimize the limited space.

Thank you

Comments (13)

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Please also post how the bathroom relates to the rest of the master suite. That does make a difference.

• Dream
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Here's the plan for the second floor, master bath will be where it says WIC on the right.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

May I ask where you're planning on putting your bed and if you have a king?

Also your master closets? How deep are they? They look to be about 3' deep which is a reach in closet, not a walk in. Clothing needs 2' of hanging space. If you notice right above your closets on the upper left is a measurement of 2'. Now use that to measure your closets and you'll see that the closets are not walk ins.

Also I noticed your hallways and your staircase are the bare minimum at 36". Have you been in hallways that are that narrow?

• Dream
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The bed will be opposite the window, there's no other place for it. You're right about the closets, I brought it up with the architect as well and it should be categorized as a reach in closets. We are unable to push the wall our further due to building code, this is a corner property, there's a road in the closet side and we have to keep in line with the average set back of others. Window side is set because of the neighbors sky plain. So we pretty much have to live with these limits. We are in a very populated metro area so we're used to it. The size of the staircase is actually grandfathered in, which is why we're not redoing the stairs, new code requires wider staircases. We just don't have the space to expand further. The house we bought is a long cape and we're extending the kitchen on the ground floor, extending the back dormer into above the kitchen and adding front dormer, so pretty much a new second floor. I wish we had more space to extend but this what life is when you're within major city limits.

We have a Queen bed, not a king.

• SirJohn
    7 years ago

It's a bit of a tricky space given its size. If you could get one more foot in either direction, it would open up more possibilities. Right now you are a bit limited due to maintaining proper space for code. Given the space constraints you either have to go to small shower stall to get the large vanity or go to a smaller vanity to get the larger shower. I errored on the side of the larger shower with these designs. These are basic sketches, not to scale. It changes the door position slightly. The window can stay where it is with these designs (or you can move to wall B with either option 2 or 3). In either of these designs, you can flip the door to open into the bedroom rather than the bathroom, which gives you an easier space to live with in terms of egress.

Option 1. A shower wall is built next to the toilet. a half wall is built next to the vanity, with glass from wall top to ceiling. You could conceivably throw a laundry basket behind the door in the corner. The vanity would end up being about 38", unless you cheat into the shower more. Toilet would be 32" of floor space, but you could cheat into the shower to make it 36" (which is preferred)

Option 2. The shower is 3 ft deep and then the width of the room. You could conceivably shrink the width of this a bit and incorporate a linen closet/open storage space where you could store your laundry on the side closes to the door. The vanity is 42" wide and you have 36" of floor space for the toilet. Feel free to swap position of the toilet and vanity here.

Option 3. If you want to give up the large shower in favor of the larger vanity, you swap the shower and vanity positions in this design. This dedicates up to a 42" x 42" space for a shower stall (smaller will give you a bit more open floor space), which is still really quite roomy. This allows for a vanity the full length of the wall. The door is repositioned and opens the opposite way from the earlier design, although this design would definitely be better and may even require that the door actually opens into the bedroom.

• Dream
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you roarah and Sir John.

Sir John, while I would like lot of counter space I don't want to sacrifice shower space. I like your option 1 and 2 the best. Thank you.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Ah, I thought it was a completely new build.

Can we see the full floor?

• Karenseb
    7 years ago

Here is an option if you take the extra foot of closet from the left and add it to the bedroom plus 4 more inches from the bedroom to make the bathroom 7 foot 10 inches by 7'11". The shower would be 36 by 54 inches and the vanity could be 54 inches long. You could do a wall between the shower and toilet and a partial wall between the shower and vanity. I'd put the shower controls on the left wall of the shower.

The bedroom would still be close to 14 feet of open space and you could put the bed between 2 windows. I show 3 sets of doors into your closet, but you could do sliding. I personally dislike bi-fold doors. If you are careful with the closet door design, you could do a nightstand on each side of the bed.

I had leftover space on the lower right wall of the bed room, probably only a foot and you could do a very narrow closet for linens or a small tall chest, or keep the door in the original location.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

I like what Karen came up with. Makes a lot more sense.

• Dream
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I haven't had time to go over everything. Here's the floor plan for the second floor for now.

• Dream
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Karen, thank you. That's a good plan. I will talk to DH and see tomorrow.

• Karenseb
    7 years ago

If you are able to add that space to your bathroom, you could fit a 60 inch vanity on the bottom wall of the bathroom with about 34 inches left over for a linen cabinet near the door after placing the door about 30 inches north of where it is located now. I would rather the door open against the cabinet so that the door does not block the path to thr toilet.