Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eljardindelaalegria2014

Reviews about rose bushes on the front of the house

El Jardín de la Alegría en Madrid
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hello!! I would like you to give me your opinion about the combination of these roses.

The roses with the name in blue are roses planted last year on the facade of my house.

Combine Rosa 'Pink Cloud' and Rosa 'Buff Beauty' with the idea of being able to guide these roses around the window on the left.

At the opposite end, I planted two Rosa 'Lady Emma Hamilton' (shrub) and Rosa 'Penelope' with the idea of being able to guide the latter around the right window.

I have two doubts about this combination:

The first: If it would be nice to put a Rosa 'Rambling Rector'.

The problem is that being so young the roses I have planted in this area, I can not say with certainty its exact moment of flowering. Maybe they will not agree with Rambler Rector?

The second: Last year I planted on both ends Rosa 'Buff Beauty' and Rosa 'Penelope' thinking that they are roses that climb and can cover enough area of the wall.

But now I have doubts that they can be guided by the latticework of the wood. Perhaps they will grow like a bush and will never reach a certain height?

Do any of you cultivate these two hybrids of musk and can you tell me if it is possible to get them to two meters high?

What do you think of the combination of flower sizes and color range?

Many thanks to all for collaborating with me?

Edito to include measures of the width of the facade of the house: It is 8 meters wide (26.24 foot)

Comments (17)

• El Jardín de la Alegría en Madrid
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I am new to this forum and do not know very well how it works.

To communicate with you and be able to understand what you say, I use the google translator.

I tried to find a place in the forum where there was post about garden design, but I have not found it. Perhaps in the forums of your country you are not in the habit of exposing these doubts?

Sorry if you are. In my country it is very common for gardeners to ask design questions to fellow forum members.

I apologize if this is not the norm here.

• User
    7 years ago

I think its fine to post questions about garden design! Unfortunately, my climate is so different from yours that I don't think my comments will be very useful (for example, Buff Beauty refuses to be anything more than a small shrub for me) but I can say your color combinations sound really nice! I just got the large-flowered Pink Cloud, its a beauty and I bet it'll look great with Buff Beauty. Hopefully others in a climate more like yours will chime in!

• Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy
    7 years ago

Hi! I'm in zone 9b in California so our conditions may be similar. I have definitely seen these roses grow 2 meters high in this area at rose gardens or at friend's yards. I don't personally grow these particular types, but I will try to find some photos of them in rose gardens in my area or in other's yards. It may take some time for them to take off, since the first two years they may be establishing a root system to support their growth. It sounds like it will look lovely! Your design board gives a great visual.

7 years ago

Here's a photo of Buff Beauty in zone 10 in Crete. Do you know if that soil is similar to yours? I was thinking it may be... http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/1710012/hmusks-how-much-shade

Original Author
    7 years ago

A couple of years ago I traveled to the UK to visit David Austin Gardens in Albrinton.

I verified that the varieties of roses I cultivated in my garden were much higher than the data mentioned in the catalog of this hybridist.

I was able to compare many varieties in the same gardens of Da and yes, in Spain they usually grow the roses much more.

Think my frost is not deep. Never dies a freezing rose. The growth of the previous year preserves it unless it is applied a thorough pruning.

My soil is not the best for growing roses. It has little organic matter. It is sandy. With a pH that tends to a certain degree of acidity (little). I have to constantly contribute organic matter to make the soil more spongy and so that water and nutrients do not go down quickly.

Thank you very much for your kindness.

7 years ago

Here's a nice photo of Lady Emma Hamilton, although it's in zone 8 in the U.K. (Probabaly would grow bigger here in CA ... probabaly for you too)

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/1720092/munstead-wood-lady-shallot-lady-emma-hamilton-orprincess-anne

El Jardín de la Alegría en Madrid thanked Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy
    7 years ago

Here in CA, rambling rector could end up taking over and covering your whole house. But here's a photo of it looking quite mannerly, climbing along a fence in a garden near me in California. http://inmenlo.com/2012/05/10/everything-is-coming-up-roses-in-barbara-tufflis-garden/

Original Author
    7 years ago

I chose Rose 'Lady Emma Hamilton' because it is shrub. The two roses are planted under the right window. Logically I do not want them to grow too high in order not to cover my vision from the inside of the house.

The roses that I do have interest in that they grow to cover the facade of the house are Rose 'Penelope' and Rose 'Buff Beauty'. Rose 'Pink Cloud' has a naturally climbing climbing rose. With this rose I have no doubt that it will reach quite high.

7 years ago

Here in CA zone 9b I wouldn't worry too much about Penelope and Buff Beauty growing to 2 meters. ;)

Here's a pretty photo of Penelope on HMF. This is one in San Jose CA, which is also zone 9. We have different soil than you of course, but the roses you chose would have a very good chance of growing to 2m here. :) Just give them time.

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.239193

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    7 years ago

What great pictures. I think Rambling Rector, being white would look magnifico! on that building. Go for it!

El Jardín de la Alegría en Madrid thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    7 years ago

Here's another photo of Penelope in a garden in Southern California, which is probabaly still zone 9 or maybe 10 and may have soil similar to yours. I don't think you will have any trouble with it getting to 2m. ;)

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.151804

• rosesmi5a
    7 years ago

I would forget Rambling Rector (RR). I live in cold, frozen Michigan -- and the Rector rambled over a patch of ground that was twenty feet by twelve feet. (20X12 feet). Also, it only blooms once, for about two week in the spring. All in all, RR takes up too much room, and is super super thorny -- a bad neighbor.

I don't know the old climbing teas, but it seems like some of them would fit your wonderfully warm and sunny spot better than RR.

Enjoy the search,

Sunny

El Jardín de la Alegría en Madrid thanked rosesmi5a
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I grow some ramblers in my garden. The truth is that some of them like Rosa 'Guirlande d'Amour' have grown very well in a short time. I bought it in early 2014 and this spring of 2016 was like this. I think it looks nice.

This is the link to the post where I asked for opinions on the eight ramblers I have ordered.

Experiences cultivation in zone 8/9 of these 8 roses ramblers

I decided to order these eight ramblers not only by bloom. The flowering in the rose bushes interests me. Of course. But of roses I do not just like their flowers. The colorations that the roses acquire in autumn excites me. In addition, a large rambler provides shelter and food for insects and garden birds.

Autumn 2016 · More Info

eljardindelaalegria2014's ideas · More Info

Autumn 2016 · More Info

Autumn 2016 · More Info

The rose hips lengthen the time of interest of a rose bush. I think in the fall some roses are as beautiful or more than in spring.

Autumn 2016 · More Info

I mean with all this that, although I know that in climates with more atmospheric humidity than the one in my garden, I hope they are not impossible to cultivate in mine.

The style of my garden is not modern. I really like the little classics. Have a look a little country. Maybe that's why I think these ramblers can fit very well in the style of my garden.

I do not know, maybe I'm wrong !!

Roses (Spring 2016) "The Garden of Joy in Madrid" · More Info

7 years ago

I agree with you. I love foliage even more than I love the blooms. I find it more fascinating and interesting, especially when the foliage is fragrant. But I know I'm a strange one. ;)

As long as Rambling Rector doesn't take over, I think it will look absolutely lovely both in bloom and out of bloom with your other roses on the wall.

Pink Cloud may need more pruning and shaping to not cover the window, but in my area cuttings from it can be used as rootstock. So if you ever want to bud/graft roses, it's actually very useful. I have been thinking of growing it just for that reason. I can't wait to see your photos once they start growing more. :)

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    7 years ago

Love the photos. I love the ramble all over "wild" look, and agree wildlife will love it too.

Original Author
    7 years ago

Sheila, thank you very much for your kind words towards my garden.