Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_franks1

Baby quilt-honest opinions please

Jennifer Franks
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi! I am a beginner quilter. I like to make baby quilts for friends and family. I laid out this quilt and really like it till my husband came in and said it looked like an Easter egg. This is for a baby boy that lives in Hawaii so I was keeping to bright colors. Lol yes I know he probably won't need a quilt in Hawaii but it makes a nice floor mat or changing pad. Please give me your honest opinions! Thank You!

Comments (14)

• polardream
    7 years ago

I personally like it! Bright and cheery - and it does get cool in Hawaii sometimes! They should love it.

Sue

• fran1523
    7 years ago

What do men know anyway? I love it.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    7 years ago

Go with your gut feeling but I don't see anything wrong with it......baby will like the bright colors and will learn green, yellow and blue before learning the other colors. :-)

• loisflan
    7 years ago

Jennifer, I don't think it looks at all like an Easter egg. It's a great child's quilt. You did a fine job pulling the colors out of the background print for the stripes and setting triangles. I only value my husband's opinion when he agrees with me. Otherwise, he's just wrong. Haha.

• littlehelen_gw
    7 years ago

Babies like bright colors, they don't care how they are arranged!

Lois: I'm with you on that husband thing ;-)

• colleenoz
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I'm in the "So what if it looks like an Easter egg?" camp :-) Baby will love it.

About the only change I'd suggest is swapping the two end rows. I think the dark end might look better with the darker blue stripe, and the lighter end will go better with the lighter green stripe. I could be totally wrong, but it would be interesting to see if it makes a difference.

I guess if you were really bothered by your husband's comment, you could rearrange your squares into pinwheels :-)

• grammyp
    7 years ago

I think it is beautiful and agree babies love bright colors.

• bev2009
    7 years ago

I find not everyone is going to love the same quilt. I made a very scrappy quilt and showed it to a group of people and I could tell some did not like it at all. But if you go to an art gallery, do you love every painting there? I don't. It is a beautiful quilt that I'm sure the mom will love and appreciate. I agree with Sharon, go with your gut and what you like.

• jlt37869
    7 years ago

It doesn't read as Easter to me with those colors. Maybe set it aside for a bit and then see how you feel when you come back to it.

• beth7happy
    7 years ago

Very cool!! and I'll bet that the mommy will love the contemporary 'chevron' pattern, too!!

• Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    7 years ago

I agree, if Easter Eggs hadn't been mentioned, I don't think I would have thought of that.

Rather I'd think & enjoy boldly graphic, happy & upbeat. Nicely done.

Sorry, your DH is wayyyyyy outvoted.

• quiltnhen
    7 years ago

I think it's bright and cheery and will make the whole family happy. Is there something negative about easter eggs;-)

• Beverly Hills
    7 years ago

What do men know? I never ask him about a new hairdo or anything creative.