Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daphne_m

Are hard wood stairs worth the cost?

Daphne M
11 years ago
My husband and I are building a home and currently going through the process of choosing all of our upgrades and options. I am really conflicted on spending a significant amount of our budget on an upgrade to hardwood stairs. I love the look, feel they will be very durable, and they will pay for themselves in the long run by not needing to replace the carpet every 5-7 years. What do you think? Is the cost to install worth it? Are hardwood stairs truly more durable and cost efficient (in the long run) than carpet? Are there significant negatives to hardwood stairs that I might not be considering? Our new home will have both the stairs going up, and the stairs going down, as a focal point from the entry. In addition, both sets of stairs are visible from the majority of the main floor. Thanks for any thoughts, opinions, etc...

Comments (14)

• PRO
    Dullea and Associates Inc.
    11 years ago
    Practicing in the South I see far more wood stairs than carpet. My personal feeling is that you should go with hardwood. They will hold up and also look great! My vote is hardwood.
  • kimdee24
    11 years ago
    I love the way they look. I don't love how they feel when I fall down them. I'm too klutzy for hardwood stairs, as beautiful as they are. Something to consider though, especially if you have little ones.
  • Brad Konkle
    11 years ago
    We have carpet on our stairs and have been considering replacing it with hardwoods because the carpet shows wear fast and is difficult to clean. On the other hand, hardwood stair treads can be slippery and noisier than carpet.
  • betsy001
    11 years ago
    Go with hardwood. It is so much easier to maintain and keep clean. They will stand the test of time. You can always add an area rug that can be easily replaced or cleaned in a few years.
  • artemis1
    11 years ago
    I would do hardwood. They can be a bit slippery, but it's not usually a problem. I have spent the money to replace stairs with wood and I never regretted it.
  • PRO
    ReMax - Lisa
    11 years ago
    I would vote for hardwood as well. If you are concerned with them being slippery, you can add a runner down the middle which is relatively Inexpensive to replace when needed, far less than full stair carpet coverage. A runner only takes an hour to install so cost is cheap, especially if you buy a remnant.
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    11 years ago
    Voting for hardwood. By the time the stair treads need refinishing you will have spent much more on new carpet. Return on investment is higher on resale as well. kimdee..can you say Ranch home?...of course you still have at least a couple of steps outside to get into the house!
  • Harve
    11 years ago
    Hardwood gets my vote as well. I have attached a picture of the new staircase in our new place. The stairs are actually concrete with a polished wood cover on them. No noise from from them. Have had the same in the old house for 20 + years & they have kept the same appearance over that time.
    Just another option for you.
    Good luck.
  • Robin W
    11 years ago
    Hardwood all the way. Carpet is hard to clean, and expensive to replace. Also if you're sick and have to be carried down the stairs by the paramedics, hardwood is a lot easier to maneuver on.
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    11 years ago
    ouch!
  • PRO
    NK Woodworking
    11 years ago
    People always say they are upgrading to wood from carpet when they talk to us... Hard to imagine the other direction... : )
  • gshyluk
    11 years ago
    My husband and I are debating this same question. Yes, the cost is high. But I just love wood on stairs . Ours will also be visible from entry. I think it's a key feature, worth spending the $$$.
  • dclostboy
    11 years ago
    My front staircase is wood and back stair carpeted...pups don't like going down the hardwood.