Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjb2814

Waste not, want not...but does it wreck the look of the room?

S Bailey
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

As you can piece together from these two photos, this is a very large great room that looks out onto a little lake. I love having the focus be outside, so my furnishings and decor are pretty minimal (although I usually have something on the dining room table). My dilemma is in regard to the dining set. I know I could punch up the look greatly by investing in new chairs that didn't "come along with" the dining set, but a) I don't have anyplace to store the chairs I have, which are in perfect condition and b) I feel like it's wasteful to spend money on new chairs when I already have chairs (and no, I wouldn't sell the ones I have)

So...do the matching chairs wreck the aesthetic? Would putting a rug underneath be enough of a change (the issue is that we are always lengthening and shortening this table, depending on the number of guests to-dinner, so a rug would either be occasionally way too long or too short). What about changing the upholstery on the chairs (although these are, again, in perfect condition and are "show nothing" black velvet).

We are rapidly approaching 60, if that helps in your assessment. We like the whole Scandinavian modern aesthetic (despite living in Richmond, VA).

Thanks for any suggestions!

I

(This photo is a few months earlier, before we'd settled on the proper artwork...but gives you another POV)

Comments (54)

• PRO
    Sophistique Interior Design
    7 years ago

Staining may be difficult. You would have to strip the chairs to eliminate their existing top coats. How about painting them? You could choose some interesting colours, perhaps even two colours.

S Bailey thanked Sophistique Interior Design
  • S Bailey
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Do you think that matching chairs will come back down the line? If so, maybe I should set these aside until then.... Once painted they would never be able to "match" again (again, all those slats too!). My hope of just swapping out seat fabric or putting down a rug doesn't sound like it'd bring it up to date.

• skmom
    7 years ago
    I think the easiest solution would be to slipcover them, and I think that would work well with your look.
    S Bailey thanked skmom
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    7 years ago

Nice room. I do not like the dining room set there at all. Out of place.

S Bailey thanked Sustainable Dwellings
  • eaw 513
    7 years ago
    Definitely recover the chairs if you can't part with them. I would also replace that chandelier, it is not the right size or feel for your space. Your artwork over the fireplace is absolutely dynamite!!!! Take your fabric color cues from that. A rug would also help but how big is your table with/without the leaf? I like your clean style.
    S Bailey thanked eaw 513
  • S Bailey
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The table varies in width depending on #of leaves -- 66", 84" 102" Thanks for the compliment re the style

• eaw 513
    7 years ago
    How about a fixture similar to this http://www.lampsplus.com/products/ramona-32-inchw-led-pendant-light-by-possini-euro-design__5w979.html

You'll have to find something in a finish that you like (brass is really hot now) but I like the interest with all of the arms.
    S Bailey thanked eaw 513
  • outshopping422
    7 years ago

Love your house and view. I think having slipcovers made for the 2 arm chairs is all you need and would look amazing :)

S Bailey thanked outshopping422
  • eaw 513
    7 years ago
    Hmmmm, you're right about the rug issue with all of the potential table sizes. I have to leave that one to the pros. If you decide upon a rug I would probably select one based upon the table size that is used most frequently and roll up the rug when making the table huge
    S Bailey thanked eaw 513
  • skmom
    7 years ago
    I think the set looks out of place simply because the chairs scream missions style in an otherwise contemporary looking home. But in my opinion, the table doesn't scream that. If you were to get rid of, or slipcover the chairs, it would no longer look like a missions style dining set. The chairs look missions style to me because of the backs, so I don't think recovering the seats would solve the issue.
    And I really like your art work too. :)
    S Bailey thanked skmom
  • S Bailey
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Had originally purchased the foyer chandelier for the dining room area, but it was too large. Like Goldilocks, I'm afraid. And here's the rest of the living room/great room for more sense of our very subdued style (color afraid?!?) Does this help AND THANK YOU ALL

• suzyq53
    7 years ago

No rug is needed in your space. Yes get the chairs slipcovered to lighten it up and cover the mission style.

S Bailey thanked suzyq53
  • S Bailey
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I think part of the problem is that we moved to Virginia from Oak Park, Illinois, the home of the Mission Style (and FLW's home town). Didn't seem trendy to us, because we were surrounded by homes/decor that had stood the test of time, but I can see the disconnect with the Scandinavian Modern way we did this house (this was a total gut job, completed just about a year ago, so we had zero money for decor/furniture) Great to see it through other peoples' eyes. So grateful

• jhmarie
    7 years ago

There is no problem with having chairs that match the table. You have other touches of warm wood around the area - which I like because too much cool can become cold. A rug is a thought and reupholster if you want a little change up.

S Bailey thanked jhmarie
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 years ago

I see the table is centered, but IMO it should be turned so the head of the table is at the window.

No 'captains' chairs Dated concept. This is not a traditional interior that lends itself to that tradition.

Slipcovers will make the chairs too heavy for the interior.

People love to purchase Craftsman style chairs. They'll sell.

You can chalk paint the chairs and use a small roller to save time.

Crate & Barrel chair as an example.

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/village-bruno-black-wood-dining-chair/s568565

S Bailey thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Anne Duke
    7 years ago
    Unless you need 6 chairs everyday put two away and see what you think. I like the idea of reupholstery.
    S Bailey thanked Anne Duke
  • S Bailey
    Original Author
    7 years ago

BeverlyFLADeziner -- I had never thought of that. My concern might be that the wall separating the dining room from the kitchen is 105" wide, and the dining table, full extension, is 108

• S Bailey
    Original Author
    7 years ago

OMG, I am an idiot. What do you think if I bring in these chairs from my kitchen? They are "vintage" (yes, I'm old) solid teak Scandinavian design. The table is cherry but maybe with a distracting runner? My dog thinks this is a ridiculous thing to be doing, cuz she wants to just go for a walk...)

• apple_pie_order
    7 years ago

Beautiful rooms.

S Bailey thanked apple_pie_order
  • Bailey R
    7 years ago

Difficult to tell from the picture but they look good from what I can see. Unlike some here, I wouldn't be overly concerned about your "Scandinavian disconnect " as you call it, your place looks beautiful. I prefer an eclectic "unstudied " look over something that's too predictable & common. Maybe it's because I live in a place where lots of artists & other creative people reside.

S Bailey thanked Bailey R
  • eaw 513
    7 years ago

OK, Those chairs are AWESOME. I, too, am now suffering from chair envy. I love all of the prairie style homes in Oak Park, it's a gorgeous community. I am back in Libertyville for the 4rth time (had stints in another IL suburb, Europe, and MN; seem to always come back here though) and have been to Oak Park over the years. Both of my dogs are giving me the stink eye too right now. Just tell them that sometimes you have to suffer for beauty and room design advice...

S Bailey thanked eaw 513
  • acm
    7 years ago

Love the chairs, love the art, love the view.

You're doing awesome, and now I want to come visit. :)

S Bailey thanked acm
  • kaye1951
    7 years ago

Ta da!!!! How satisfying to "shop in your home" and find the solution! I do agree with Beverly, give that table a quarter turn even if it is a few inches longer than the wall. I think it might still work....Beautiful home!!!

S Bailey thanked kaye1951
  • S Bailey
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I love you Houzzers -- thank you so much. You've really helped me.

• User
    7 years ago

Those vintage chairs are perfect! Enjoy your beautiful space.

S Bailey thanked User
  • pat1250
    7 years ago

That's it! Well done, beautiful home.

S Bailey thanked pat1250
  • suzyq53
    7 years ago

Looks good from here. No to the runner please.

S Bailey thanked suzyq53
  • Kendrah
    7 years ago

Don't knock your style. It looks great. I personally have no problem with your table and chairs as they are. It just looks crowded. I would remove the two head chairs and just keep the four on the side. I don't think the color of the chairs or the seats are a problem. I think painting or staining is not a bright idea, same with slipcovers. It will look too fussy for your otherwise really clean and streamlined space.

I would hang a much larger vertical piece or artwork where the current dining room piece is. I think it will anchor the space every bit as much as a rug would.

S Bailey thanked Kendrah
  • bkeithaz
    7 years ago
    sjb, how do you like living without window coverings, especially at night? Do they look like black holes? I'm moving into a house with a wall of windows overlooking a golf course. My style is similar to yours and I'm inclined to go without on those windows but I've never done it before. Everyone thinks I should use something on the windows but I don't know. Your input would be helpful.

You have a lovely home.
    S Bailey thanked bkeithaz
  • willowshome
    7 years ago

Your rug is fabulous! What if you tried it under your table to see if 2 of the same would look good? I love your home! Clean, fresh, calming and cheerful! And those vintage chairs, oh my, prefect!

I say a different chandelier and the same rug under the table, and then see about switching out the chairs, or painting them, or maybe not?

Where did you find your beautiful art over the fireplace?

S Bailey thanked willowshome
  • PRO
    Nissen Interior Design and Staging
    7 years ago
    The concept for your entry and living area appear's to be black and white, graphic, and furniture restrained in mass. I like it very much as the space itself is graphic.

The red wood color of your dining room set is what doesn't seem to go with your concept. I think it appears too heavy/dense than your other furniture, which although large in scale, has thin and refined lines.

To get your existing dining room set to reinforce your concept, you need to edit the red colorant reduce visual mass of the set.

You may consider staining the table top black, espresso, or ebony, and paint the table legs and chairs white? Have it professionally sprayed for a quality result. Then reupholster the seats in a fabric that reinforces your concept.
    S Bailey thanked Nissen Interior Design and Staging
  • PRO
    7 years ago
    Regarding fabric for your chairs. I would look to your sofas for selecting a coordinating light mushroom/grey fabric. Maybe with a dark stripe zigzag. If you add a carpet, coordinate it with your existing carpet, a plain white texture will work with possibly a black boarder. As opposed to adding another print to the floor. I would limit adding color other than by the artwork and decor items. I like your Nordic modern farm house look. Keep it simple by editing for restraint. It's a beautiful home! Good job!
  • rbhirano
    7 years ago
    The table and chairs seem to be a different style than the living room area. Painting all of them would bring the more in line with the modern, Scandinavian style that you like. I am sure Houzz would have some pictures of that style furniture that can give you some inspiration.
    S Bailey thanked rbhirano
  • babophz
    7 years ago

How funny that you solved your own dilemma, sjb! Those Scandinavian chairs are wonderful. You may want to adjust the colour of your table, perhaps make it darker, to go with those vintage chairs. Love your room, btw, and that view is superb! :)

S Bailey thanked babophz
  • Tems
    7 years ago

Your foyer chandelier doesn't look at all too large for the dining table.

S Bailey thanked Tems
  • S Bailey
    Original Author
    7 years ago

bkeithaz I love having the windows in the great room and kitchen "naked." Having indoor trees, a fireplace and artwork allows me to have other focal points when the sun goes down. I do have draperies in the adjoining master (with another 15' bank of sliders) because, well, I don't want the neighbors across the lake to get to know us quite thaaaaat well. Thanks for the compliments. (Oh, and the idea of alternate focal points after dark was something I'd never considered until I read a Houzz story on it...love this site!)

• S Bailey
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Nissen Interior Design and Staging thank you for your kind words, and, ironically, the fabric I purchased when I thought about recovering the chairs a year ago is a mushroom color. I think I just ran out of energy -- we had to redo every wall, floor, ceiling, door, etc, including the sills holding up the house! Good February project for me. Thanks for the push.

• S Bailey
    Original Author
    7 years ago

willows home the art over the fireplace is from a gallery in Austin, TX (where my daughter lives). It is by Ana Moran and is called "Forever Different" So pleased you like it. It does have a lot of life in it!

• willowshome
    7 years ago

Oh wow! I live in Austin!! Thank you for letting me know!! ;)

• willowshome
    7 years ago

I love the one in your entry as well!

• eaw 513
    7 years ago

I agree with willowshome, I think your artwork is terrific. Enjoy your lovely home!

S Bailey thanked eaw 513
  • PRO
    User
    7 years ago

You have such a great clean minimal style!

Feels like the stain of the chairs is off with the rest of your aesthetic --too honey colored. I recommend checking around with local woodworkers to have it stripped. I have the same problem with my dining set and a local guy quoted me only $150 to strip my table and chairs (which was waaaay less than I was expecting). Then you could have them either clear stain or paint them to your liking. I would also reupholster with a lighter fabric.

(Also, I didn't read the long thread of comments so I apologize if you are far beyond your original dilemma at this point in the thread, ha!) ;)

S Bailey thanked User
  • PRO
    7 years ago
    Your instincts are right on! Possibly just recovering the chairs with your chosen fabric will lighten the color and weight of the table and chairs. I think the style of the set is very clean a goes with your other furnishings just fine. You'll know when it's right because you'll like it. I'm not against a light/white color table runner. To set off the color of the glass bowl your one photo showed. Keep it simple!!!
    S Bailey thanked Nissen Interior Design and Staging
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 years ago

I wanted to mention something from a comment a long way up the thread: you can turn your table the other way for everyday use, then just rotate and recenter it for extension when you have guests :)

Also your home is fabulous. You've got a great eye. Those chairs you found are perfect!

S Bailey thanked miss lindsey (She/Her)
  • S Bailey
    Original Author
    7 years ago

willows home the art over the fireplace is from a gallery kind of near the "mothership" Whole Foods in Austin -- probably a 2 or 3 block walk. Small gallery, just a few rooms. The entry art is from a small gallery in the Blue Ridge Mountains...it shows some of our favorite mountains to hike! (Old Rag Mountain is a favorite...if you ever come this way it's a must-do). Thanks for the nice compliments.

• S Bailey
    Original Author
    7 years ago

lindsey great idea on turning the table! I'm having 8 to dinner tomorrow night so it'll stay as is for now, but I do like the other way for a change.

• S Bailey
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Nissen Interior Design and Staging glad you like the bowl...we couldn't afford a Chihuly but I do love the glass and the color.

• S Bailey
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Glo European Windows & Doors -- Maybe your stripping idea will work to make the table better go with the Scandinavian chairs...I might have all of the "matching" chairs stripped at the same time so it would blend better. Thank you.

• S Bailey
    Original Author
    7 years ago

babophz thanks for the thumbs up on the view. It's what drew us to the house, which was a total, awful (and overpriced) wreck -- we bought it as is at the owner's asking price and had to do an enormous amount of reno, inside and out, but every morning I wake up to that view, with the eagles and otters and sunrise and it's all worth it (so what if we don't get to retire on time...)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz