Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sahai6

Stainless steel toe kick plate, Yay or Nay!!

sahai6
7 years ago

Hi,

I am renovating my kitchen this year. Most likely it will be ready by mid of this year.

Anyhow, I am getting white hi gloss cabinets with slab doors, Torquay counter tops and warm gray color porcelain tiles.

From the very beginning, I had a desire to get SS toe kick plates. I do not care of they are real SS or laminated as long as they are stainless steel in look. By nature, I am a neat freak person and I do not want my expensive cabinets with hi gloss to have scratches and dents from vacuum cleaning.

But, unfortunately my husband is totally against SS toe kick plates. He thinks it will look commercial and it will get dents and these dents will be more visible than the scratches on hi gloss toe kick plates.

My questions are...

1....is there any Houzzer who has white hi gloss cabinets with SS toe kick plates?

2....are you happy with your decision or do you regret the decision?

3...after installing cabinets, when was the first time you noticed any dent or scratches on kick plates?

4....If possible, can you show me some pictures of your toe kick plates WITH dents etc.?

5....if you have to do it all over again, will you get SS toes kick plates or not?

Thank you in advance.

Mindy

Comments (21)

• Fori
    7 years ago

It sounds weird if there isn't SS nearby to make it fit in. What about old fashioned cove molding tile in the same tile as your floor? Can't dent that!

• sahai6
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Fori,

My husband does not want anything on the toe kick plate, not SS or any type of tile. He says that what ever comes with the cabinet, we should accept that.

Mindy

• practigal
    7 years ago

Not much comes with some of the cabinet lines so I don't buy the just accept it point of view.... True stainless was very expensive last time I looked (and it was not problem free). No one is going to get down on the floor and really Look at the toe kick but they likely will notice that the individual base of each of the cabinets is showing which would be unusual. If cost is the real issue use Ikea. It will just look uniform and not distracting.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

For many years now, I've always painted my kick plates a black - Porter Paint's "Ebony". It makes the cabinets look like they're "floating" - far less heavy. And it hides all the kicks and scuffs.

• wildchild2x2
    7 years ago

Stan Z - Where did you source your toe kick? I like the idea of the stainless over MDF and the fabrication looks nice.

• Stan B
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

The cabinets are Brookhaven. I think the idea of painting the toekick black or a deep gray would also work.

• sahai6
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks to all for your feedback.

Stan Z....did you toe kick plates come with from Brookhaven?

Mindy

• wildchild2x2
    7 years ago

Brookhaven supplied the toe kick?

• Stan B
    7 years ago

Yes, the kitchen designer specified the toekicks when she ordered the cabinets from Brookhaven. It is not Brookhaven's standard toekick. I don't know the cost difference other than to say it was nominal in the overall price of the cabinets. She had the stainless toekick on the floor display in her shop and we liked it so we went with it. She said she does a contrasting toekick on most of her open concept kitchens. When I'm in the kitchen it is barely noticeable but since the kitchen is open to the family room at a distance you get a nice visual separation between the cabinets and the flooring.

• Stan B
    7 years ago

IKEA has the Grevsta:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20267423/

Google found this which is designed to "peel and stick" over existing toe kicks:

http://doors2me.com/toe-kick-covers/

• lazy_gardens
    7 years ago

If you have white high gloss cabinets, they will come with white high-gloss toekicks ... and they will show every scratch and smudge and splash.

The add-ons others listed would look good with the grey tile, and hide most grunge.

• Heather N
    6 years ago

This is an old post, but in case anyone else is searching - I saw these stainless steel toe kicks at the Sub-Zero/Wolf showroom in Manhattan this week paired with white cabinets. I'm planning to put in antiqued brass toe kicks in our kitchen!

• Carolyn S.
    6 years ago

I'm trying to decide between the Ikea Grevsta "stainless" toe kick, a Wilsonart stainless or stainless-look laminate, and the real thing. I'm on a budget but don't want to spend money on something that will fall apart or not look right. Any info anyone can add about your experiences with these alternatives would be appreciated!

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

If you're on a budget, paint that toe kick black. You will be astounded at how great it looks - room will look larger, those big bulky cabinets will "float".

• gotgoatmilk
    6 years ago

I have high gloss white cabinets and tile toe kicks - reused from my old cabinets (kept the tile floor). :) Love how easy they are to keep clean. If I can get this open on my phone I'll try to attach a picture

• PRO
    Stainless Toe Kick and Wall Base
    6 years ago

Check out www.stainlesstoekick.com - the real thing, and maybe not as expensive as you fear.

• User
    3 years ago

I have black stainless appliances, I think ebony or dark gray painted toe kicks would be the way to go.

• Mrs. S
    3 years ago

I bet that kitchen was finished over 3 years ago.

• G G
    2 years ago

Mindy- just doing my kitchen (2021) & thought of doing stainless at base of island. Found your post - what did you end up doing & if SS using? I am like you - don't want scratches showing, cheap look etc. I need 11 foot long x

4 1/2 inches tall. Not finding anything that long, so concerned about the sight of a seam where the 2 pieces meet, also need to bend at corner on both ends of island.

Found some stick on & they will send sample. Ikea nothing, & will check the SS tornado listed above. Thanks!

• HU-55912877
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Where did you find the stick on? i chose ss varsta toekicks in my ikea kitchen planner app not realzing that was from a line not sold in the us. How are the toe kicks ”applied” usually? im not sure how to calculate what i need to avoid seams showing etc