Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bsds71

Recommendations for Amish cabinet makers in OH

bsds71
7 years ago

Has anyone used an Amish/Mennonite cabinet maker in Ohio? We recently had a bedroom set made by an Amish furniture store in Berlin, Ohio and it was absolutely gorgeous. And the price couldn't be beat. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

Comments (14)

• oasisowner
    7 years ago

Here is our kitchen: Yellow kitchen. Cabinets by Harmon Hardwoods, Dover Ohio. (Not Amish, but solid and reasonably priced.) Their website is Harmon Cabinets. We were very pleased with Dan Harmon's work.

bsds71 thanked oasisowner
  • lakeerieamber
    7 years ago

Our house is in the process of being built so we don't have cabinets installed yet but our cabinets are being made by David Mast of High Point Cabinets in Fredericksburg.

http://highpointcabinets.com/

bsds71 thanked lakeerieamber
  • bsds71
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you for the recommendations, both of your cabinets look amazing! I have heard of Mullet Cabinets, but not High Point. My furniture maker highly recommended Alpine Cabinets.

Lakeerieamber, corgimum-Did you get quotes or look into other cabinet makers in the area?

• lakeerieamber
    7 years ago

Our builder previously used another Amish cabinetmaker named Troyer. He has no website and no phone. To get ahold of him our builder would call a neighbor who would walk over and relay the question and the call the builder back. He also had no showroom or abything so there was a high level of trust involved in communicating what you wanted. Our builder found High point and has used him on his last couple of builds and has been very satisfied. High Point is still an Amish business and they just have a small showroom in their workshop so still a very small operation. We had gotten a price from Troyer and also from Kraftmaid and another big manufacturer (I am blanking on the name) to compare.

• corgimum
    7 years ago

We did talk to a few cabinetmakers, another in Amish country and one near Columbus. What set Mullet apart was the ease of working with them long distance (we live in Cincinnati), their extensive showroom and their attention to detail and organization. Their installers are also top notch.

• bsds71
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Corgimum, we live in between Dayton and Cincinnati so we would be long distance too. We will definitely check them out, thank you!

• elgable21
    7 years ago

Felt I should chime in here since there seems to be quite a bit of interest in Amish cabinets recently on the forum and I live close to Mullet and many other cabinet makers near what everyone here in Ohio calls "Amish Country." I recently had cabinets made for my entire home renovation/addition. I had the benefit of local knowledge of these places but I still interviewed many of them to make sure I found the best fit. It will be impossible to convey a real overview but I'll mention a couple things that I think will help the most as you're considering your options. There are countless cabinet makers here - many of them will make an outstanding product for a very good price - specifically because they keep their overhead so low with respect to advertising, showrooms, etc.. They excel at fairly straightforward cabinets without a lot of frilly details. Not saying they aren't capable of doing the work from a strictly craftsmanship perspective, they just aren't set up on the front end to intake that high a level of detail - part of that low overhead. These are the places you would mostly hear about only through word of mouth. Excellent value. Then there are a couple places like Mullet - they build a great product but the cost will likely not be significantly less than other more conventional options because they're more or less a conventional cabinet company. Mullet is definitely the most commercialized in this category - they are trying to compete regionally if not nationally. This category of places will/can do anything you can dream up. They have made the investment on the front end with sales people, design and drafting, etc to make it happen. The benefit to using them is you can get a more custom better quality product for the same money you would have paid elsewhere. I had Mullet and several other places from both categories quote my kitchen. My two cents - if you are looking for a place in the second category - great quality with fairly custom details I would HIGHLY recommend Schrocks of Walnut Creek over Mullet. If you're interested in knowing more about specifics of why let me know. Sorry for the long post - tried to keep it as short as possible :)

bsds71 thanked elgable21
  • dan1888
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Well, it was long without what I was hoping for. Some pics of the product you decided on and some info on who produced it. Some of the other local sources you know of in your area for us to check out would be helpful too. If you can include closeups with detail descriptions on construction/finish and anything else that influenced your choice I'd find that useful for an unusual design I'm working on. Thank you.

• bsds71
    Original Author
    7 years ago

elgable21- Yes I am very interested in why you chose Schrocks. Also, did you look into Alpine?

• housequester
    7 years ago

ILoveRed, please message me. I have some questions about your Amish cabinet maker. I'm also in Central Illinois and my own Amish cabinet maker situation just crashed and burnt in a long, ugly story, not necessarily the fault of the cabinet maker but the middle men involved. Thanks!

• elgable21
    7 years ago

@bstumpf message me and I will give you some more specific info :)

• mom2sulu
    7 years ago

bstumpf,

You can also look to high quality cabinet makers in the area. Another good one near you is Yankee Made Woodworks.

yankeemadewoodworks.com

I have both Amish made and Yankee Made in my house and I prefer the quality of the Yankee Made. Dwight (the carpenter) has a great eye and is a meticulous installer.

bsds71 thanked mom2sulu
  • lakeerieamber
    7 years ago

Housequester, I'm not seeing a comment from ILoveRed on this thread so she may not see your request.