Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edward25mclaughlin

Dishwashers

Edward McLaughlin
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

In the past year, I went from burning water to being able to make a decent meal from scratch. Cooking is a newfound passion of mine and I am looking to renovate so I can enjoy the time spent in my kitchen even more.

Thing is, there is nothing I absolutely hate more than washing dishes. Always have and always will. Yet no dishwasher I've ever used seems to get the job done quite right. I'm willing to pay top dollar for a quality one so long as it will actually get my dishes, pots, pans, and silverware clean without the caked-on food bits or streaks.

Very new to this whole thing so any recommendations on dishwashers? Furthermore, any recommendations on what the best dish detergent is?

Comments (10)

• apple_pie_order
    7 years ago

Bosch with Cascade pods. Some cooked on food in a Crockpot liner can't be removed in one 2-3 hour long cycle but the remaining bits can often be removed with about 3 minutes use of a Scotchbrite delicate care sponge.

• reba120
    7 years ago
    Bosch is the best we have ever had. And I also use the finish pods.
  • skmom
    7 years ago
    Pleased with my kitchen aid dishwasher, though I've heard good things about Bosch too. Ours gets a lot of use, runs twice a day on average since we are a larger family. (Sometimes more, almost never less... unless we are out of town and that doesn't happen often.) Had current one 5 years and it's still going strong... that's about 10 years long considering most people run it once a day I'm told.
    I also use the Finish tabs.
  • PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    7 years ago

Bosch makes one of the best but part of the key to clean dishes is how you load the dishwasher! Also there will always be certain things that will never clean quite right and will require some handwashing.....

• Kathi Steele
    7 years ago

Edward, I love my Bosch. It cleans everything.

That being said, I feel there are some things that you probably should not put in the dishwasher. Good pots and pans, good knives, wooden cutting boards, plastic storage containers should NOT be put in the dishwasher. They should be hand washed.

Sorry!!!

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    7 years ago

LOVE my Bosch! I've had several Kitchenaids and a Kenmore. The Kenmore was a disaster and the Kitchenaids have gone down in quality over the years. The Bosch is incredibly quiet, gets everything clean (even baked on food), and is flush with the cabinets. It comes in various models and price points. Mine cost about $1,100, but there are lower priced models.

I'm going to disagree with Kathi Steele--I put everything in the dishwasher except wooden salad bowls and cutting boards. It gets everything spotlessly clean. The only downside is the long cycle time and not completely drying items. Both of these have to do with the higher energy efficiency requirements.

I've heard that Miele makes a great dishwasher as well.

• Kathi Steele
    7 years ago

I know some people put everything in. I just don't like the way they look after wards. I probably would be okay with it if I had more expensive pots/pans!!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 years ago

Bosch and I wash all my pots except the copper ones in the DW they are 20 + yrs old and look like brand new because the DW makes sure all the parts are scrubbed

• Kathi Steele
    7 years ago

I have a lot of non stick that should not go in the dishwasher!!