Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lieni01

Need help designing a walk in closet!

lieni01
7 years ago

We have a pretty small space that we want to turn into a walk in closet. Here is the floorplan except the door swings in.

I am having a hard time laying it out and was looking for advice!

Also, any thoughts on materials? MDF? Melamine? Wood?

Thanks!

Comments (22)

• cat_mom
    7 years ago

I have to start by saying--that's not so small! :) DH borrowed space from the adjacent bedroom to build me a 7'x7' walk-in closet. To me it seems spacious, though it is my closet alone. DH has his own closet (a ~5' wide reach-in closet).

If you haven't already, check out The Container Store's Ella closet systems. Their 30% off sale runs until sometime in mid-February. 30% discount on every single Elfa component (down to the tiniest screws and anchors, all shelving and Elfa accessories...), including 30% off installation. You can have various configurations drawn up on their computer, go home, mull them over, make tweaks or big changes, before placing your order. You can even bring back unused shelving or hanging rods, or even swap them out out for more shelves or rods, drawers, etc. if you find that you need more or fewer of one or the other.

Good value and pricing during the sale. Good quality, as well IMO.

• jmck_nc
    7 years ago

I second the Elfa recommendation. They will design it with you based on your needs. Go armed with good measurements...wall to door, height of wall, corner to window, etc. We have used them in 3 houses and have done away with dressers and bureaus completely. Very efficient use of space and you can reconfigure if your needs change. Easy to install too if you are at all handy.

• Sunnysmom
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I heart Elfa :) If your storage needs change you just rearrange and buy different components. If you decide to sell and move you take half of your elfa stuff down before marketing and take it with you :0

What are your closet needs? How much hanging space do you need ( long, medium, short) how much shoe storage space etc do you need .Start there and then consider working with an Elfa designer as jmck_nc mentioned. BTW, it is free and maybe even available online.

I am envious of that window - a perfect spot for a small shoe storage bench/vanity or a pretty bookcase to display purses, etc.

If this were my closet - I would not put the L shaped layout between the door and window. I would likely use this for shoe storage and use the space beside the door for hanging jewelry/sunglasses/scarves etc, or even a built in ironing board ( however I would want the door in the pic below to be on the clothing side vs the open side) .

I get dressed in my closet so I would make space on the right beside the door for laundry hampers.

Here are some pics I have on my pinterest closet board.

• homepro01
    7 years ago

I like Elfa but Love the IKEA Pax system.

Good luck!

• Boopadaboo
    7 years ago

IKEA also has a system and we have used easy closets before. you can put in your measurements on line and then drag and drop components and easyclosets gives you a price. the downside is you have to install it yourself (or I guess find a handyman :) I used DH) My father and I have used them for years in our closets and they have held up very well. They are also kind of expensive. (to me - I bet that there are much more expensive systems out there! :) I have only used them for small closets.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    7 years ago

Kira Pax system

Do you mean Ikea Pax system? If not, what is it, please?

• bpath
    7 years ago

This is TA closet shared by you and your SO? It's a nice size. I think I'd do hanging only along the two long sides. Under the window of course, a benchy spot with storage beneath. On the far wall, a full length mirror with flat hanging on either side for belts, scarves, ties.

I'm a huge elfa girl, and have elfa'd over a dozen spaces. I'd do hanging over drawers for about half the closet, leaving plenty of room for long-hanging like pants, long jackets, and dresses. Remember to have hooks by the door for robes and your favorite sweater! Do you think you'd want to have use a steamer in there? Have a long hook handy to hang the garment on, or save space if you have a floor-standing steamer.

• Pipdog
    7 years ago

I'm in the process of designing our master closet as well, and I took the advice of GW/Houzz and went to the Container Store last week and had them design out our master closet and two smaller closets with the Elfa system. Even with the sale prices, it came to about $11.5K installed, which I thought was expensive. My friend just had all wood custom cabinets with drawers, etc. for around $10k for her master. So we're meeting with her cabinet maker this week to get pricing. I'll report back on how his pricing compares to Elfa.

• lieni01
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks everyone! I should have mentioned that this is a shared closet with my husband. Also there's is a radiator under the window so that is lost space.

Will check out Elfa but I was hoping to get a closet company to do if for $2k. Not sure if that is possible!
  • bpath
    7 years ago

Elfa is easy to install yourself. When I installed my first one, I'd never used a drill before. I had to borrow one! And the system has only gotten easier, much easier.

Check out the similar system at ikea, not pax, for price comparison. It may be cheaper for similar functionality.

you could also use elfa's base units, and if you want wood shelves get the shelves from somewhere else if they are less. I've done a combination, even using the long shelf from our original shelf-and-a-pole closets.

• suero
    7 years ago

First thing is to count the number of items that you have that require extra long (like gowns), long (like dresses, long jackets), short (like shirts, some suits, pants that can hang folded over), and accessories that need shelving or racks. Then you can go to the Container Store to have their expert help in determining the closet design.

Two things that I find useful: a valet hook to set out the clothes you want to wear or for temporary hanging of the clothes back from the cleaners before you untwist the ties holding them together; half doors on the closet that open outward, with full length mirrors on the inside, so that you can see how you look both front and back.

• homepro01
    7 years ago

Writersblock,

Auto correct strikes again. I did mean IKEA.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    7 years ago

Thanks for clarifying, homepro01, but darn. I was hoping it would be something I hadn't heard of yet.

• homepro01
    7 years ago

Sorry Writersblock! I will try to come up with something that is new next time:-)

• Sunnysmom
    7 years ago

I had Elfa installed in our garage, 2 boys closets, pantry, 2 master closets and an understairs utility closet. The total for all of these was not even close to 11K. Maybe 8K total for all.

I did notice that Elfa has a new system that looks more like California Closets, maybe that version is the style the other poster mentioned as being 11K.

• pipdog
    7 years ago

Our quote was for the regular Elfa with the wire shelves, not the upgraded cabinetry. Installation costs were $2k. Our master closet is fairly large though with a 20 foot wall and we had quite a few drawers in the design which drove up the cost.

• beaglesdoitbetter
    7 years ago

I had a local cabinet maker do my closet (my DH and I each have our own). It is 3/4 plywood. I paid somewhere around $3000 for it (maybe a bit over, it was a few years ago). I would look into local custom cabinet makers in your area. I found this to be much less expensive and better than the closet systems.

• eld6161
    7 years ago

We did California Closet in my youngest DD co-op. We did our closet years ago to a system similar to Elfa that was from Home Depot Expo (which went out of business>)

Shop around.

• lieni01
    Original Author
    7 years ago

beaglesdoitbetter - where do you live?

We got a quote for 2600 for melamine with 5 drawers. Our quote jumped to 2900 when we added a hamper. It was a very basic layout.

Yours looks much more highend for the same price!

• beaglesdoitbetter
    7 years ago

Outside Philly. These were done by Dutch wood Cabinets in Myerstown, PA. I think they will travel in a 2 hour radius. Many on the kitchen forum used them. The cabinets are gorgeous, they did our entire house.

• pipdog
    7 years ago

Just got our bid from our cabinet maker for installation of real wood cabinetry in 3 closets, and it came in at less than half of the price of the Elfa/Container Store quote (which was around $11.5K including installation).