Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sahai6

Wall Paint help needed with Torquay countertops - Please Help!

sahai6
7 years ago

Hi,

My kitchen will be demolished by the end of March.

I will have white hi gloss cabinets with Torquay counter tops. Kitchen will have medium to dark gray porcelain tiles for floor. My kitchen gets tons of natural light. Trim will white.

I am looking for ideas for wall paint in light gray color. It should be definitely with warm undertones. So far I have tried Ben Moore Revere Pewter and Shale. I am not very keen about these 2 colors. Revere Pewter seems to have lots of 'taupe' color in it.

I definitely want warm gray color, but it should be light gray and it should actually look like gray color. Basically, it should not have taupe, blue or purple undertones. I will prefer Ben Moore brand, but I will also consider Sherwin Williams or Behr pain. Please also recommend white color for trim. This white color should not have creamy, yellow or blue undertones.

Can Houzzers with Torquay counter tops show me pictures of their kitchen wall paint? I will really appreciate it.

Thank you in advance.

Mindy

Comments (10)

• sahai6
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Wilson,

Thank you for your response.

I will definitely try this paint on a sample board.

Mindy

• User
    7 years ago

Ask in Home Decorating too. Some of the regulars there have paint decks and just know their colors off the top of their heads.

• ck_squared
    7 years ago

We have SW Repose Gray throughout our main level. Our white trim is Snowbound, a clean, bright white.

We have SW Passive in 2 rooms upstairs; it's a pale gray that I don't think has those undertones.

Sorry, no Torquay to compare it with.

• suzanne_sl
    7 years ago

One of the things we learned about grays (and I'm sure whites) is that it's all about the light in the room you're painting. In our old house we painted the north facing LR BM Silver Lake (a blue undertone). It was so great we thought we'd do it in a south facing bedroom. Horrible! For the new house we must have 6 sample cans of grays, none of which are the grays we used in the old house.

Take these suggestions, but be sure to paint up (large) samples in your kitchen. You'll never know until you try the colors in your lighting. If you want to do this now, it's all good. The cabinets, etc. will change, but the lighting will only change from winter sun to spring sun.

• oldbat2be
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Good point about the lighting. We get morning light in these rooms - but like the color in all lights. It's tough for me to show the Torquay and a paint color, because the counter top is up against the dark tile in most places. Hopefully you can make out the blue grey in the desk area on the left - fabulous color. BM Aura Vancouver Day

Good luck!

• User
    7 years ago

oldbat2be-love your kitchen, always fun to see pics again. How about that pantry?

Op - I second the lighting and painting up a sample. I had to repaint our entire main living space because the paint casted so differently than the chip sample. Ended up with a gray with more green in it and it doesn't look green at all. Go figure.

• AnnKH
    7 years ago

Have you seen Cambria's paint match tool? I used two of the suggested colors in my kitchen (not Torquay) - one for the wall, one for the ceiling.

Cambria paint match tool

• oldbat2be
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

autumn4 - Thanks - lots of progess... lots still to go. Tiling completed in next two weeks hopefully!

AnnKH - neat, hadn't seen that.

• sahai6
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi everyone,

Thanks to all for comments, suggestions and the feedback about paint my paint issues. I really appreciate that.

Anne - yes, I have seen Cambria paint match tool. I have not tried Dior Gray paint (recommended for Torquay) yet, but it looks pretty dark on BM's site. I am keeping my fingers crossed when I try the sample of Dior Gray on a poster board.

Mindy