Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miamiumeg

Looking for Advice - Honey Oak, paint/stain, granite??

miamiumeg
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hello,
I am looking to renovate my kitchen on a budget. I know I want to replace my blue countertops and have estimates for 2500 installed for base-level granite. I am looking at something like giallo ornamental.

I also, like everyone it seems, dislike my honey oak cabinets. I have used general finishes gel stain before and am debating staining the cabinets. I got an estimate for painting and it was way beyond my budget (3600$ and hoping to spend 1500 or less).

I am also planning to sell the house within 5 years and have to think about resale.
What would you recommend for renovating on a budget? Gel stain (java or another color or is that out of style for resale?) or leave them (does anyone actually like oak) and put on pulls? Thanks for any ideas!!!

Comments (21)

• autumn.4
    7 years ago

Here is what I did when we updated ours before selling. It was about a year before we moved and I very much enjoyed it before we sold. We used ubatuba granite which is also base level. It was smooth as a baby's butt and I really quite liked it. It played so nicely with the oak. Have you looked at Verde Butterfly as well? I think that would also go.

Here is the link to my post on another oak thread: My Golden Oak Refresh

It's toward the upper middle of the thread. Just a before (mid tear out) and after (almost finished).

miamiumeg thanked autumn.4
  • townlakecakes
    7 years ago

Autumn 4, beautiful oak update.

Miami, seems like most of the golden oak backlash is from builder grade cabinets that went into so many homes in the 90s and 00s. Looks like that's what you have. If they're in good shape they don't really need to be refinished. If you're keeping the white appliances, I'd paint them or leave them. Dark oak cabinets do not look good with white appliances.

miamiumeg thanked townlakecakes
  • miamiumeg
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I am willing to change out appliances to stainless if its worth the resale amount. Beautiful reno, autumn!

• DrB477
    7 years ago

New counters and a different wall color would probably make your cabinets look a lot better. Olive/sage green or a blue/grey look good with the gold oak imo.

I think the java stained oak looks nice but agree that the white appliances aren't the best with that look. Specifics will vary depending on market/neighborhood/comps/etc but you probably won't make your money back by changing appliances, so I wouldn't do that unless you want them yourself.

miamiumeg thanked DrB477
  • townlakecakes
    7 years ago

That's excellent advice, cpartist. i called a local stone yard/fabricator and they gave me an estimate of around $1200 for our peninsula in Carrara marble. He said that could even be a little high, depending on slab and I don't know what else. HD would be around $1000. Our budget is fairly tight, but I'm not penny wise and pound foolish, so I'll spend a little more for a local business AND one that will likely do a better job than the clowns that some HDs seem to contract.

miamiumeg thanked townlakecakes
  • User
    7 years ago

I don't find that putting granite on oak cabinets and/or painting/staining them updates a kitchen that much. Kitchens have changed so much in the past decade or so that what dates a kitchen to my eye is the lack of drawers, partial overlay cabinets, 12" uppers over the fridge, solid walls of same-sized cabinets, etc., and not the color and type of wood. A granite like Giallo Ornamental will upgrade oak to about 1995--still dated. Is that and paint worth $4000?

Honestly, I'd put that money into upgrading the stove. We replaced our white electric coil stove with a stainless glasstop stove and a new hood a few years before we remodeled the kitchen. That one change makes my work in the kitchen so much more pleasurable. When it dies, I'll upgrade to induction. Chances are your fridge will die within 5 years, so you could replace it with stainless at that time.

miamiumeg thanked User
  • miamiumeg
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you, cpartist and townlakecakes! It is an estimate from a granite company. I got multiple estimates and that's the best so far. You don't think the wood cabinets with the wood floor is too much of a similar wood color? That's partly why I was thinking of staining dark.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

If you're truly selling in 5 years (not just HOPING to be able to move on), then I would do nothing. You're putting lipstick on a pig. You'll never recoup what you spend. Repaint the walls a color that goes better with your countertops and live with it.

• annac54
    7 years ago

Here's what we did with a rental unit we bought. We may sell it in a couple of years, so wanted to make it nice the first time around (we have an awesome tenant!). The colors may not be what you are looking for, but may give you some ideas. Golden Oak Updated Kitchen

miamiumeg thanked annac54
  • miamiumeg
    Original Author
    7 years ago

annac54 - That looks great! What is the name of the granite you went with? And do you recall how much of the Restorz-it you needed? Did you use the Restorz-it pre-cleaner?

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

interestingly i was about to suggest a granite somewhat similar to what annac54 used in her reno..was looking for pics, and that's what i found:

https://www.houzz.com/photos/10-day-luxury-design-contemporary-kitchen-orange-county-phvw-vp~21072425

i'm not a fan of granite, generally, but it's something very pleasant about this one..it's warm and not too overwhelming..and overall just gives a feel of some nice cuddly animal you want to pet:)

I'd add a simple backsplash tiles, drawing from the one of the granite colors. not necessary-but you might like that look.

and i'd add the pulls/knobs that you really love. maybe even something a bit different-not modernizing, but rather individualizing the space

i think the reason most people seem to be upset with oak is because it was an oak overload, so maybe you don't feel these cabinets anymore..they're like everybody else's(which is actually true about most cabinets lol..it's just that the oak has fallen out of favor, it will come back though, they always do(c) .at some point)

don't underestimate small changes-the buyer who bought our first place-starter apartment, hundreds of these around-told me "I decided to buy it because I really loved your kitchen knobs"..:)

well i loved them too-i think i was picking for weeks, drove everybody crazy. these were just knobs-but they made a very simple modest kitchen into uniquely mine.

• isabel98
    7 years ago

I would also say that if it's going to give you pleasure to do the update while you live there that also has value. I agree with others to do nothing to the cabinets other than cleaning and maybe taking out a few panels for glass fronts, that is easy and has great impact. I agree with a lighter stone and simple backsplash. choose your stone and then find a paint color and backsplash that coordinates with the stone. a pretty rug would also help update the space.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

I think the fact the floors and cabinets are similar color is fine. I wouldn't try and change too much. You won't recoup the expense. Just freshen it up as cheaply as possible and make it clean and neat.

To give you an example, I sold my 1898 house in 2010. Yes during the downturn. And it was an expensive house in a fairly upscale neighborhood. Nothing was selling. My cabinets were original from the 1950's. I mean the kind where the back walls of the cabinets were actually the walls of the house. That old. And we had a metal cabinet for the kitchen sink.

We had white appliances too. I painted the beige cabinets white (because the beige paint was chipped). Changed out the sink cabinet to match the other wood cabinets. Added nice pulls. Put a black granite looking Formica countertop on, and added a white tile backsplash with a row of black tile.

My house was the only house in our school district to sell during a 9 month period that year. Why? Because I didn't over improve and then try and recoup money I wouldn't have been able to get. I just refreshed. I made it "nice" enough for the next owner to use and cook in until they decided what they want to do to improve the kitchen.

Realize anyone coming in will probably want to redo the kitchen eventually but if you freshen it up a bit, then the next owner will not feel they overpaid for something they may not like or want, and they will be more likely to buy because even though it's old, it's not tired looking.

And yes, I agree with mayflowers to switch out to a glass top electric

• annac54
    7 years ago

Mia,

We used either golden river or golden flower granite. The stoneyard had pre-fab in both and they were very similar. We went with the one that had the slabs I liked the best.

I used about 1 1/2 bottles of the Restorz-it, and also used the pre-cleaner. Only needed 1 bottle of that and only used about 3/4 of it. The Restorz-it starts to dry fairly quickly, so you need to put it on and quickly even it out with a brush and take care of any drips or pooling before it dries. Definitely do the doors on a horizontal surface. I would try it on some scrap items to get a feel of how to work with it.

miamiumeg thanked annac54
  • miamiumeg
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks so much all for the suggestions!!

• jhmarie
    7 years ago

Here is my oak kitchen:

https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~58830325

More pics in my "my pics" idea book.

miamiumeg thanked jhmarie
  • nosoccermom
    7 years ago

General Finishes now also has a gray gel stain as well as "milk paint" .

Gray gel stain below (looks like several coats).

Second, milk paint: Here's the thread with pics and raving about the General finishes milk paint for her oak cabinets.

And then there's always sheisback's detailed description with pics on using Brown Mahogany gel stain.

As far as resale, I'd say it depends on your area and what the market will look like in 5 years. Hate to say it, but in my area, relatively inexpensive, i.e. cosmetic, upgrades add substantially to the home price because most buyers want move-in ready and pretty looks rather than functionality. In fact, we have realtors who now bring in their crew, spend 20K and sell the house for 50K more.

miamiumeg thanked nosoccermom
  • Beth
    7 years ago

When looking at houses (before we decided to build again), I was really uninterested in houses with brand new kitchens--I didn't want to pay for their taste. Many of them were new, but had cabinets instead of drawers, and finishes that weren't to my personal preferences, and so I felt I'd be paying for a kitchen. I agree with those who say to do minimal updates for the purposes of resale. On the other hand, if there are updates you will get 5 years worth of enjoyment out of--do those!

miamiumeg thanked Beth
  • AnnKH
    7 years ago

I agree with the others who advised to not spend a lot. I probably wouldn't even change the countertops (I lived with horrific counters for 20 years before remodeling a kitchen very similar to yours). New paint, knobs or pulls, and a range hood (even if it's recirculating instead of exhaust to the outside) will freshen it up a lot. I would keep the existing appliances - I think white and oak are OK together. Get a little MW - you have a lot of counter space. I have a cute little MW with a curved back that tucks neatly into a corner - I love it.

But I will temper my remarks - and remind Kitchen forum regulars here - that we see kitchens differently than normal people (those not TKO - totally kitchen obsessed). We see lack of drawers, and DW in the prep zone, and no hood, and we can think of 20 ways to improve the function. We understand that the color of an appliance isn't as important as its location. But the reality is that the average HGTV watcher (and likely the majority of home buyers) don't care what the layout is, or how inefficient the storage is, as long as there are granite counters and SS appliances.

We also tend to focus more on the kitchen. I like to look at houses for sale, and I don't care how spectacular the view, or how great the neighborhood, or how big the closets - if the kitchen has a stove in the island (or some other major sin), I'm done looking. I suspect normal people prioritize differently.

miamuimeg, I suggest you check with a local realtor, or look online, to see what houses hat are selling in your neighborhood look like, and to learn what people want in a house in your price range. That will give you the very best idea of cost-efficient upgrades vs. wastes of money.

miamiumeg thanked AnnKH
  • herbflavor
    7 years ago

seems it would be easy to change a couple door fronts to glass doors on the walls. Show off some of your things behind a few properly placed glass doors......it would change the whole look when the eye goes around that U shape. And get a more current faucet with pulldown or pull out sprayer. Along with prettier floor runners/mats....would not bother doing anything else.

miamiumeg thanked herbflavor