Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charleee

OLLD 4/18

charleee
11 years ago
Morning everyone! I hope we are all alive and kickin'!

A huge explosion at a Texas fertilizer plant! Have you seen the news coverage? It was so big it registered 2.1 on the Richter scale. Isn't there something in fertilizer that's used to make bombs? It's a wonder these types of plants don't explode more often.

Our winds have FINALLY died down, yes! It was so windy here the oranges and lemons were being knocked off their trees. Now, that's windy!

Comments (138)

• Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    He had his Santa hat on....LOL..And made it to the top!!
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    Thanks eztia...he is wild, and a ringleader and the whole neighborhood is always here...I may need to hand out disclaimers at the gate!!
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    I just had to show Kimdee..cuz of our other chat with wild kids on roofs, etc!! :)
  • Robin W
    11 years ago
    Thank you all for the support. Losing 2 EMS and 3 Firefighters is a sad day.

On a better note, I saw a picture the other day of a slide from the second floor straight into the dining room! How totally awesome would that be?!? No more dinner time fights. Ever!
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    @rwillekes..so sorry!! Hope my posts didn't intrude...I hadn't read the earlier posts...
  • Robin W
    11 years ago
    Heck no! I'm barging in on your guys' conversation.

Besides, it's way more fun hearing about your little monkey!!!
  • kimdee24
    11 years ago
    I could've used a slide in my last house. And an elevator.
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    Today I busted him running down the street barefooted of all things...it's was about 40 degrees max...So he got in trouble for that!! Kids r so sick of being cooped up, they were nuts today. We have a big pool we put up every summer..4 ft. deep by 14 or so feet...we r the neighborhood meeting place! Dogs, cats, kids...etc.!!
  • kimdee24
    11 years ago
    My parents always said it was good that their house was the coolest place to be on the street. Then they always knew where their kids were.
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    I have to set limits each year or I am the neighborhood playground all day every day...my son is a ringleader.
  • Robin W
    11 years ago
    Thanks Eztia. Looking forward to it :D

@jayme - at least with having the kids at your place, you can always keep eyes on them. Goodness knows it gets harder as they get older.
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    Ha ha...don't I know it...My oldest is 26, next is 22...last is 7!!! (Old lady had a baby)!! LOL
  • Robin W
    11 years ago
    I've got a 12 year old girl... I'm going grey already :(
  • kimdee24
    11 years ago
    You don't look old enough to have a 26 year old!
  • Robin W
    11 years ago
    ^^ was thinking the same thing!
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    Thx for that compliment. I turn 47 May 1. Some of my relatives aged very well...hope I do too! I never smoked..it helped I think.
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    Drinking...well..no comment..LOL
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    G'day all,

Gosh rwillekes, I just reread my post. I hope you didn't think I was questioning the firefighters actions, what I meant was the protocols and procedures the powers that be devise for handling these situations. Would definitely be a hard call to make though, rescuing people injured or trapped, putting fire out before it spreads and causes more damage and injuries or looking after themselves - we certainly can't afford to lose them, their knowledge, training and expertise. I still think of all the firefighters that rushed into the buildings on 9/11 to have the buildings collapse on them, no one really foresaw that.
  • kimdee24
    11 years ago
    My baby is up the page a bit. She's 12. A bit too late for real babies for me, I am afraid.
  • kimdee24
    11 years ago
    Good morning, Ms Roo!
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    Sorry to say guys, but I find the old and smart kitchen a trifle boring, especially compared to the last one. Maybe olldcan sneaked in and took the potplants away. You know we could have some fun here - put it up as a decorating dilemma and see what changes get made. I'm sure someone will paint it Revere Pewter.

I don't think it is that smart a kitchen anyway, can't see anything like a chef in it.
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    I had my last when I was 39..
  • Robin W
    11 years ago
    Not at all olldroo. Lots of times stuff like this is unforeseeable despite best efforts. And sometimes even the best response plans can go awry. We do the best we can with what we have... which is often not enough (especially in EMS it seems). I just want you all to go hug a paramedic today... that's all :) (Jokes)
  • kimdee24
    11 years ago
    I would have done it at 39, too. I'm 44 now. Can't see it happening. Well, it could I guess, technically. But I don't know that I'd have the energy, especially for a climber like yours!!
  • kimdee24
    11 years ago
    Consider yourself hugged, rwillekes... you're almost near enough to feel it too! EMS and nurses too (Jayme!). I have a ton of health care professionals in my family, and you are angels, all of you.
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    @kimdee..a child would be lucky to have u...
  • kimdee24
    11 years ago
    @Jayme -- thank you! That is so sweet of you to say! *tears*

@eztia -- Hugs back! I was just reading your dilemma, I'm going to see if I can find something that might help.
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    Cute dogs guys, sounds like we could start a doggie dating service here. No wild boars allowed!!! How could you possibly hang something as ugly as that in your house. How would you dust it??

Jayme, please do not visit LA, I'm sure your baby and Miss 6 would find each other in a flash.

Creesey, sorry to hear about Boo's leg. Is it a full break or a greenstick? Poor little pet, how did she do it? It is hard when they are little and don't fully understand what is going on with them.
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    Robin W, welcome to the OLLDs too, I'll gladly go hug a hunky 20-something fireman any day. At my age they will probably send for the white coat brigade - but then I can hug them too! Seriously, when I was caring for my 90 year old mum till her dementia got the better of both of us, I would have been lost without you guys. She had a terrible habit of throwing herself out of her wheelchair with no warning and I felt so embarrassed always calling Triple Zero for help. Guys were always lovely and were instrumental in convincing me to put her into full care.
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    Ez I have a terrible phobia with lifts, I have been stuck in them too many times many years ago before we had mobile phones or the lifts even had phones. What back up is there for having one in your home, if you were home alone and it broke down or the power went down for something. I remember one time at work I wouldn't squeeze in a lift because it was too crowded, despite everyone urging me in, I caught the next one which was almost empty and about 1 1/2 hours later the ones in the crowded lift arrived in the office looking terrible and soaking wet with perspiration. They had become trapped between floors and because the lift was so crowded it quickly heated up to the point they all felt they were going to die. There was actually a bit of a communication foul up too, the wrong response people were called or something, which was why they were trapped for so long.
  • Robin W
    11 years ago
    Hahaha! I hereby hug you all back. Thanks! There are just some days with today being one of them...

@olldroo - dementia breaks my heart. I'm glad you got her to a place where she could be better cared for.

@kimdee24 - I don't know you well, but I second Jayme's comment.

@etzia - I can't find your dilemma. I'll go look again.
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    @olldroo..I am supposed to be in bed..I read your post and mistakenly thought it read "I have a terrible phobia with tits"............! It really must be past my bedtime..LOL!!
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    Robin, dementia is a really frustrating thing to live with, mum was quite convinced she could walk on water and every year she went further back in time and got younger and younger so could do more things too - or so she thought. She did get very agressive though if she thought no one believed her stories - keeping a straight face through half of them was even harder. The doctors and nurses she abused was too much to think about but they were wonderful they either glossed over it and brought her round to what they wanted or gave her all the cheek under the sun back. It did get to the point where I couldn't take my eyes off her and all the help and assistance I was promised never eventuated. Living on 2 hours sleep a night and caring for her all day was too unrealistic. She passed away 4 years ago now just shy of her 93rd birthday and when she died she was just like a little baby.
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    Sorry if my comment was inappropriate
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    Jayme, just had a heap of posts pop up - delayed reaction. My SIL was born 15 years after his next sibling. His mother introduces him as her ooops.
  • kimdee24
    11 years ago
    @Jayme - which comment? Nothing you said to me, no worries!
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    I mentioned "tits"...OM goodness..I can be so inappropriate!
  • Robin W
    11 years ago
    Olldroo - I admire your patience and persistence with your mum. Very lucky for you both to have eachother.
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    studio - sometimes I wonder how many people are left in the world with a sense of humour. I was disappointed Shelley beat me to it, I was all set to do a "ewwwwwwwww".

Thanks for your support, the saddest part about dementia is that they have no idea what people are doing for them or how difficult they are and just constantly demand.

Tell you a couple of funny stories, that still make me laugh. One time she threw herself out of her wheelchair, she somehow cut her finger. I put a bandage on it and the next day when the nurse called to bandage her legs, which she had done daily, he asked her what she had done to her finger. Neither of us could keep a straight face when she answered "I don't know I wasn't here".

Another time in the nursing home, there was a male resident who constantly made himself at home in anyone and everyone else's beds and promptly fell asleep. Mum was so anti males, they were all dirty old men to her and there was no way she would ever get into her bed if he had been in it. One day she goes to the loo and when she comes back this guy is in her bed sound asleep, so she picks up her jug of water and threw it all over him. The next day she is sitting on her bed and the guy walks past then suddenly races into her room, picks up the water jug and throws it all over her. Honestly I think I would rather work in a preschool than an aged care facility.
  • Robin W
    11 years ago
    Oh olldroo! Those are great stories! I love when we pick up the elderly dementia patients (especially the older ladies) and they start asking my young partners out on dates.

I only ever get marriage proposals from our intoxicated street folk.
  • kimdee24
    11 years ago
    Lol, roo! Those made me giggle! My mom was a nurse and she worked in extended care and always had tons of stories about the residents and their quirks.
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    Oh, Robin, sometimes I think we women were born to be losers.

BTW did you guys see this? I just watched it and am sitting here with tears flowing.

http://www.upworthy.com/the-city-of-boston-sings-the-most-heartfelt-rendition-of-the-national-anthem-ive-ever-heard?c=upw1
  • Robin W
    11 years ago
    I'm sure I'll bawl my eyes out. I'm a sucker for anything powerful like that. I have a hard time with national anthems on a good day :)

And on that note, I'm off to dreamland. Gonna try to get the kitchen done to post my post-painting pre complete remodel pics.

Good night all.
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    Night Robin, do join us tomorrow on OLLD 4/19 - we start a new chatfest every day. I hate this time of every everyone else is sleeping.
  • elcieg
    11 years ago
    Jayme, it didn't bother this guy.

Jacques Tits, a French/Belgian mathematician
  • evierh
    11 years ago
    I'm a little disappointed in the hockey players; a couple just looked bored .. maybe it's not THEIR national anthem?
  • elcieg
    11 years ago
    astraea, it is amazing how many do not know the words. When hubby goes to the games, he gets so rattled because the kids and some older men, do no remove their caps.

Did you notice that someone held up the flag backwards?
  • evierh
    11 years ago
    It's not an easy song to sing, but no one would lip-read, if someone looked like their mouth was moving, and they had their hand at their heart!
  • kimdee24
    11 years ago
    I'm proud of our hockey fans in Edmonton. They sing the US anthem and know the words, just as loudly as our own. It always gives me goosebumps.
  • charleee
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Judy, I just got notice of your comment from 6 hours ago!