Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avocadogirl

Help Choose A Layout

avocadogirl
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi, I'm finally getting around to updating our family home's kitchen. I've been working on different layouts for the past year and was hoping some kind GW'ers would help me choose one? Or maybe there's an entirely different layout that I just can't see. We're not on a slab, so moving things around isn't a complication.

I'm hoping to to have an open floor plan by knocking down the angled walls. The 2 stubs of wall left are deemed necessary by an electrician and our handyman. Though, I'm not sure of the assessment on the wall stub next to the patio doors. Need to get a structural engineer out! The other wall stub is actually part of the stair wall and is load-bearing.

In all the layouts, I kept the location the same. I can't think of a way where altering the front windows wouldn't negatively affect curb appeal. The final layout is also basically the same as now, just a bit more space between the sink and stove.

This home won't be sold anytime soon and will likely be my brother's bachelor pad. However, we do use this home frequently and my mom loans it out for extended periods to friends/family. So I would like the best functional kitchen instead of one that's trendy. Any help is appreciated!

Current Floor Plan / New Floor Plan:

Kitchen Layout I Like the Best:

Links to Imgur Albums for

Current / New Floor Plans Plus Current Kitchen Layout

All the Different Layouts I've "Drawn" Up

Final Layout Plans

Comments (12)

• PRO
    MDLN
    7 years ago

I like it.

avocadogirl thanked MDLN
  • herbflavor
    7 years ago

Re: cabinet sizes, and making them optimal. I've found the 36 in drawer width mostly handy for stacking bowls/pots/the larger type things. Consider 36 in stack-just one- flanked by 18 inch stack either side. yes-it's 3 cabinets instead of two but useful to have the medium sizes mixed in with the larger pot/pan drawers. Does the stub and stair wall extend to ceiling? I would try to get a vertical cabinet there...even a 9 inch wide pullout is great for canned goods....then 15 inches remains on right side of stove. Are you wedded to the larger sink? With a full sized dishwasher, you could pare back the sink by a few inches, gain counter, and be just fine I believe. Layout 1-D is the other one I would consider..reason: when cooking- [and more people are staying in , actually cooking these days]...the footprint with more clearance around the cook might be better whereas, usually one goes to fridge , gets item, and walks away within seconds or no more than a minute or two.....the fridge situated in lower right near walkway might be slightly better than the cooking area in that spot.

avocadogirl thanked herbflavor
  • avocadogirl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@mama goose_gw zn6OH Thank you, I was hoping you'd look it over! I have an extra strive apron sink that I'm planning on using, so hopefully the fabricator can use it for a positive reveal. If not, I've been looking for an excuse to buy the blanco silgranite sink (:

• avocadogirl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@herbflavor Thank you so much for looking it over! I'm not married to the island cabinet sizes and was thinking of shortening the overall island length to get a bit more aisle space. I'll probably change them out now to 3 smaller cabinets.

My problem with 1-D is the bosch dw we recently replaced has a large handle. I'd think I'd go crazy with the handle protruding in my prep space like that. It's a dead space right now.

I'm hoping that the wall stub can be completely removed to add 15in overall to the kitchen. Or at the least shave off an inch width wise, so I can fit a 12in pantry/pullout between the patio door molding and wall stub.

The stair stub wall goes all the way to the vaulted ceilings and I believe 2 more floors down to the basement (tri-level home). There's no moving or changing that wall since the stairs are right next it. Pesky safety hazard is what I believe my handyman told me!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    7 years ago

You're welcome! The thing to remember about narrower drawer bases is that you lose space with each cabinet, because of the drawer glides and face frames. A large drawer can be easily divided with retrofit kits, with negligible loss of storage space. In a small kitchen a few inches in each drawer might make a difference.

avocadogirl thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • PRO
    MDLN
    7 years ago

Agree w/ mama goose, would get 2 large rather than 3 small cabs, to not lose the space. 18" cabs, in my experience, are smaller than they seem.

avocadogirl thanked MDLN
  • avocadogirl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you guys! I'll stick with 2 cabinets in the island, much more efficient as I plan on storing mostly dry ingredients / flour containers on there!

• J D
    7 years ago

5 feet between the wall cabinets and the island seems like too much - can you scoot that island in closer, and maybe put seating on the other side? That's not a very efficient workspace when it's so far away from the rest of the counters.

I see the note about the return vent, can that be made a floor vent instead of requiring a whole pony wall?

avocadogirl thanked J D
  • avocadogirl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@J D I think if I were to move the island closer, there'd be a choke point between the stove and the island end, even if I shortened the island. If I move the stove to the left, I'd replicate the current tiny prep space between sink and stove. Plus there will be no seating at the island.

But I did not realize you could turn a return vent to to a floor vent! At most I was hoping I'd be able to vent out of a cabinet toekick but this give me more options to play around with! Thank you so much for your suggestions!

• J D
    7 years ago

@avocadogirl My parents redid their kitchen last year and they have an island that's short end is across from the stove. It works out really well. Three feet is a good space.

My main concern is that your counterspace is limited along the walls, so to get more workspace, you'd have to walk several steps over to the island. Because of a funky room shape, my kitchen has its counterspace separated by about 5 feet and it's basically like another world. I rarely use both surfaces simultaneously to make big meals. Also, adding seating to the back of the island (and even the lefthand side maybe?) will really encourage socializing in the kitchen, which is something I'd want in an open concept. Do you not want seating there or are you trying to block out the living room somewhat?

Glad the return vent helps! All my return vents are in the floor - this makes for creative furniture placement. :)

avocadogirl thanked J D
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    7 years ago

avocadogirl, if you'd like to read up on recommended aisle widths, there is good info in the Kitchen FAQS: Aisle widths/walkways, etc., section of the thread, New to Kitchens? Read me first.

And also in the NKBA recommendations: Rules 6 & 7

avocadogirl thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH