Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
selinanh

How can I help my cacti that i over watered and root/base when limp

I believe I over watered one of my cacti and need advise how to root it back or save it. The bottom became mushy and fell. I lifted it up pit of soil and bottom part was squishy and obviously watered to much. I cut off that base and the top is still Healthy. Need to know how to root plant to save the healthy top of plant

Comments (18)

• chuckerfly
    7 years ago

Can you post a picture? Is it one cactus or the grafted type (aka moon cactus)? If the top part still green with no rot, just let it callous over for a few days then put it on top of your potting mix and leave it alone.

Akerman Flooring, LLC (NH)zn5 thanked chuckerfly
  • socks
    7 years ago

By "leave it alone," that means no water until it roots, could be weeks. Don't place in an overly large pot. Use a fast draining mix, not a mix with a lot of peat in it. Yes, do post a picture for better information.

Akerman Flooring, LLC (NH)zn5 thanked socks
  • PRO
    Akerman Flooring, LLC (NH)zn5
    Original Author
    7 years ago

i cut bottom part off and this is the top. It stood about 5 to 6" tall and is about 2 to 3" now. So i should leave it and how do i know its callused over before i plant back into soil?

• socks
    7 years ago

It's callused when it looks dry and sealed up on the cut end, not green and moist. Probably a few days but you can wait a little longer if you are not sure. Remember the plant has water stored in its leaves, so it will be ok. Is that the cut off piece in the photo? Lay it on a paper towel and let it rest for a few days out of direct sun. Then you can replant. What soil are you planning to use? Don't re-use the soil it came from, use fresh.

Akerman Flooring, LLC (NH)zn5 thanked socks
  • greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    7 years ago

Hi there.....What's in the soil mix you show in the pic above, the white bits in particular? As it's now got no roots, the pot above will be way too big, a much smaller one is now needed. I would also say IMHO it was also potted too low down inside the pot.

Akerman Flooring, LLC (NH)zn5 thanked greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
  • Sue
    7 years ago

Also, that's not a cactus, it's a succulent called a Haworthia.

Akerman Flooring, LLC (NH)zn5 thanked Sue
  • Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    7 years ago

and it doesn't want direct sun, more like bright indirect light, or the edge of a window.

Akerman Flooring, LLC (NH)zn5 thanked Karen S. (7b, NYC)
  • PRO
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Its not a cacti? OMG i have been off this site for some time because i have had wonderful luck with my plants but to not have some identified correctly is bothersome. I take prode in my very large varienty of all types of plants. Can you direct me to where i can post questions with photos to help identify some of the species of plants. I really thought this was a cacti. I have a zebra cacti and just assumed they were similiar.

• PRO
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Greenclaws uk- those were mini rocks i used to keep this upright. I will not need them not. It had stood a good 6" and i didnt notice its roots waterlogging until it was to late because i also had a stick beside it to hold it up cause it was skinny but tall. So do i just leave it for now and when is it ok to put into a smaller pot?

• PRO
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Socks- i use a cacti & succulent mixed soil and i will not use old soil. Thabk you for helping me understand how to view "calus" term.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

All cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are cacti...Can you post photo of your zebra cactus? Most succulents could be ID-ed here...And will be able to tell you if any of the plants are not succulents.

Akerman Flooring, LLC (NH)zn5 thanked rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
  • PRO
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Rina_ontario.... Zibra so i assume

• PRO
    Original Author
    7 years ago

What is this and how can i help it not have its leaves fall or the whole thing. The branched off limbs are to heavy so i have to hold with poll and the plant next to it

• PRO
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I have no idea what this mini one is? Barely a root length and i 4 others that seem to be dying for no idea why

in a 2" mini cup

• PRO
    Original Author
    7 years ago

can anyone identify this cactus. Yellow flower on top closes if you mist over it. Its absolutely amazing to see. Thefe is like a glue type substance that is on top or on a leaf of the flower. Its as hard a hot glue when dried yet seems to be one with the cactus itself?

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    7 years ago

Your cactus is a Notocactus leninghausii:). The flower is a straw flower glued onto your cactus.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Zebra cactus is just common name, the plant is Haworthia.

Next, the skinny & tall one looks like a Crassula ovata (jade plant). It is very tall & skinny because it doesn't get enough light. It should be strong enough to self-support. Can you arrange for more light? Week growth will not revert, but if you prune it and keep in more light, it should start thickening. Jade (at least IMO) look best with thick trunk.

Next one may be Sempervivum - but photo is too small for me to be sure, and it could be different plant. Perhaps you can post sharper close-up? It is potted too low/deep in the pot IMO.

Last one is a cactus, but someone else has to ID it (I have only 3 or so...). The flower is 'fake' since it is glued to the top and yes, they use hot glue gun to do it... It is a bloom of strawflower/everlasting (Helichrysum bracteatum), they last forever.

All of the succulents would benefit from being potted in well draining mix. If nothing else, get a bag of perlite, sift it to get rid of dust & smallest particles (kitchen sieve work well; do not breathe dust). Mix perlite with soil minimum 50/50, or even more perlite. You could use pumice instead if you can get it. Adding grit helps a lot too. (I grow succulents in a mix of grit, perlite and some turface).

Akerman Flooring, LLC (NH)zn5 thanked rina_Ontario,Canada 5a