Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deannatoby

I know I should relax, but it really is early for seedlings in Maine

We've been, like everybody, unseasonably warm for a good spell. Today I see I've got Salvia and Echinacea seedlings, with several other seed varieties getting that swollen about-to-give-birth look. But...extended cold is coming, getting sown to 5 degrees at night with a high of only 20, possibly the teens. That seems like asking a bit much of my seedlings and containers. Please give me thoughts and guidance! This is my 3rd year to wintersow, but I haven't seen seedlings this early with what I know is a loooooong time before winter ends. Maine isn't exactly known for temperature and cooperative spring weather.

Comments (5)

• Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
    7 years ago

I wish somebody would have an answer for you. I am not going to have it as bad, but still freezing. It was 78 degrees here today. Having the thunderstorms bringing in the cold air right now

• gardenweed_z6a
    7 years ago

I winter sowed 533 gallon milk jugs my first year (2007). I WS mostly perennials and shrubs. Most sprouted; some didn't. Gardening is not an exact science; neither is winter sowing. Some seeds sprout; others don't. Could be the seeds were harvested before they were fertile. I mostly traded with other gardeners/winter sowers. It's not an exact science but it's definitely a proven method.

I spent 40+ years vacationing in Maine so I'm familiar with the fickle climate. I'm in southern New England so not that different climate-wise. My first few years of winter sowing I left my sprouted seeds out in their containers no matter what Ma Nature threw at them--snow, ice, warm, cold. Nothing fazed them so I decided to just look around, accept that the planet is usually green and just continue to do my part to see that it continues to be that color.

FYI - none of the plants I WS over the years has ever died.

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I've reached an educational solution. I have four types of seeds sprouting, and 3 of those are must-not-lose seeds, as in the seeds were expensive to begin with and I would be really set back if they died. One seedling type is not a vital plant. When we hit 5 degrees I'll have the "precious" seeds in the garage. I'll see if the seedling I leave out makes it, and then I'll add to my overall wintersowing knowledge, as well. If those seedlings can survive extended hours in the teens with a drop to single digits, then that will be something. This way I can learn and also sleep for the next several nights.

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    7 years ago

I understand your pain. I had wintersown seeds germinate here in Nebraska when it got warm and then it froze. It looks like one jug survived, but I'm not 100% sure. And yes, they were seeds I REALLY WANTED to grow. Thank you, gardenweed, for being the motherly figure who can tell us it might not work out this time but we'll survive and it will be okay. I like your solution deannatoby. Good compromise. I'd like to say be happy the seeds are sprouting! That's one of those "cup half full" moments instead of "cup half empty." You didn't buy bad seeds! Good for you (and them)! Heidi

• lam702
    7 years ago

I agree with Deanna, I put the containers in the garage when it gets unseasonably cold if I have sprouts. It hasn't happened often, but there have been a few times in the past when some of my containers that had sprouts were killed by a super cold night. Better to be safe than sorry.

Sponsored