Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
asm198

Reality check. Can't do a total kitchen remodel for under 20K?

asm198 - Zone 6a (MO)
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I was hoping to gut my kitchen and make it functional. I want to remove an interior wall, close up an exterior door, and add an additional window, in addition to new cabinets/appliances/etc.

After poking around on Houzz, and some local design places, I apparently can't even begin to think about doing this project for under $50k and that's apparently the cost with "budget" items.

We're not doing this for resale purposes, but I live in an area with low cost housing stock and I simply won't spend that on a kitchen in a house that might sell for $120k.

Am I honestly stuck with a kitchen that has 4 total feet on counter space (21 inches on one side of my sink, 8 inches on the other to the corner, then 17 inches to the rangetop) and and an "eat-in" area that's just dead space, just because I don't want to spend half of what we paid on the house to redo the space?

I'm willing to remove the wall, tile the backsplash, and paint, but would prefer to have the door and window stuff done by a professional, as well and cabinet/appliance installation. I don't want granite (am looking into soapstone, though), am indifferent to stainless steel (it would be nice, but not at twice the price of white), and I don't care about having "fancy" appliances like SubZero, Viking, etc.

This post is part frustration and part asking an honest question. Am I expecting too much for too little?

Comments (52)

• cpaul1
    7 years ago

Yes. You are expecting too much. Without pictures, I would say in general .... you're right to consider how much to spend based on the price of the house. At your price point, I would not spend more than $10k. I would do things that would give you the biggest bang for your buck. I would paint the cabinets and replace hardware. I would upgrade to stainless appliances (not an option not to). I would update the back splash and counter tops. And I would decorate around any other weirdness in the space instead of trying to move walls, etc which is very expensive.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

you could do it if it weren't for the removing the wall and closing up a door and putting in a window. That's labor. you have to pay for labor. anyone you know that could do all this? contractor friend or relative?

the other issue is materials. you will have to shop around and see what you can find. Cheap chinese cabinets can be had for 4K. soapstone slab and fabrication will cost 5K.

However, if you sacrificed that wish, you could do a pre-fab granite or quartz for about 1500. pre-fab: the piece is 600. fabrication to fit your spot, another 800 or so

since you are putting in a window, look for windows on Craigslist that people are selling. sometimes they order the wrong size and can't return. others are remodels. either way, they are good windows at a fraction of what you would pay for. you can make the window opening around the size of the window you buy off of there. so your options are open when it comes to that.

Ditto for doors. I've sold my perfectly fine french doors on there for $100. Ditto for an 8' window. You just have to check daily because good deals go quickly. Be available to drive an hour or more for the good deals.

Can it be done for 20k? sure it can. But you will have to do all the work and hunt down the best deals.

• asm198 - Zone 6a (MO)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Anything running 20/20 won't run on my computer since I upgraded to Win 10. It's too bad, since it was helpful when I was using it for another room.

I don't believe the wall is load bearing (we'll obviously check before proceeding), but I think it's just a divider between the kitchen and dining room. The house next door has an identical layout to ours and they don't have a wall between the rooms.

Sorry for the frustrated tone of my initial post. I've just been working on this plan for years and we're finally at the point that we can do the project and I'm worried that I'll be laughed out of any place that I go to to help make this a reality.

• User
    7 years ago

It can be done but you will be putting in sweat equity. You can try looking at Habitat for Humanity Restore for some gently used cabinets. Soapstone is expensive but it is also something you can do yourself to save money (not sure how handy you are). Last year, someone posted on here slabs of soapstone going for $350 per slab (they were 3x6). Or depending on your countertop space, go to look at remnants at stone years (my travertine in my bathroom was 2x8 feet for $400) Appliances you can buy on sale or look in the scratch and dent stores. I have gotten some amazing deals. Also consider Ikea's cabinets and using Scherr doors that you refinish yourself. The backsplash can wait and IKEA butcher block counters can fill in till you save for what you want.

I would find a decent guy to do the window and get a quote on the wall (is it load bearing?) and start from there. It really depends on where you live as far as labor goes. And Ikea cabinets would be good for you because you can put them together yourself and really even hang them too with their hanging rail system (youtube videos are helpful).

Good luck

• T. J.
    7 years ago
    I spent $10k on cabinets alone, whereas my boyfriend spent $10k on his whole kitchen. I went semi-custom and he went Ikea. You can do it, but you have to be very diligent with your budget. Hope for an Ikea kitchen sale (his savings paid for a stove).

You need to go to the city and see what is required if you remove a wall. My city states if walls are removed it is a complete remodel and everything has to be brought up to current code. My condo is 30 years old, and I was required to require the kitchen. My electrical panel didn't have the space for the additional breakers and I had to get a new panel (electrical bill upwards $5k).
  • T. J.
    7 years ago
    Sorry, stupid phone won't let me edit. I was required to rewire my entire kitchen for an arc system.
  • PRO
    Gray & Walter, Ltd.
    7 years ago

There are many ways to stretch 20K if you have a good contractor and are willing to make concessions. However, you must be realistic with your goals and selections. I wish you luck with your project.

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    7 years ago

Removing a wall, closing in a doorway, adding a window and then moving the plumbing and the electrical. All of those things require professionals to keep it to code.

The "kitchen on the cheap" ($20K reno) can be done so long as you do NOT move walls, do NOT add windows, do NOT move plumbing and do NOT upgrade electrical.

In Canada, our electricians and our plumbers bill out at $100 - $180 per hour. So a gut job that works with existing plumbing and electrical will get you the most for the least. Windows, doors and walls all stay put. Those are big ticket items that can be expensive to install. Habitat for Humanity can help source some of the more expensive stuff on your wish list, but they won't install it for you.

Personally, I would take my layout (with excellent measurements and locations of all fixed points like doors and windows) and take it to the nearest Ikea. They will offer a full kitchen consultation for a few hundred dollars (something like $200 is what I've seen kicking around Houzz). They will get you the most efficient kitchen possible....for the least amount of money...while leaving everything in place (plumbing, walls, windows and doors all stay put).

Your $20K can get a LOT of Ikea! And that includes their counter tops (they have laminate, wood or man-made stone). They stopped selling flooring but that's something that just about anyone can help you with.

If you leave things in place and do things "right", you can have your renovated kitchen for $20K.

• asm198 - Zone 6a (MO)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I think my "thing" here is that I'd like to work with a designer, but I don't want to be mocked or laughed at because of what we want to do and what we want to pay. I want to do this right, but I don't want to waste anyone's time if I make an appointment with someone, they come up with a plan, and the cost is $70k+.

• decoenthusiaste
    7 years ago

Ask around for a good kitchen designer at one of your local big box stores. Sometimes you luck out with one who really knows their stuff and can deal with a small budget. My local Lowe's often sets dinged appliances out in the floor at big reductions. Got to catch them at the time though.

• PRO
    Linda
    7 years ago

I'm not a big fan of taking out walls in older houses (1940s, 1950s?) My approach might be to install a bigger header and widen the opening but leave the majority of the wall. That extent of work could probably be done by a good framer as long as you aren't dealing with rerouting ductwork or plumbing. Pushing the electrical over a few feet isn't usually a deal breaker but other issues can be rather expensive to work around.

Are you in an area where building permits are required? If you can avoid the paperwork hassles, that will help keep the costs down. There are many competent tradesmen who will do the work correctly with or without a permit.

Think carefully about replacing the existing kitchen window with a new double window. You have unique windows and if you change out one window for a new style, it won't look quite right from the exterior. You may also have difficult to match exterior siding that will add plenty of dollars to a window movement project. It would be cheaper to keep the existing single window and invest some money in extra lighting fixtures.

It looks like there is plenty of usable space in the opposite corner of the room. If you post a measured layout drawing, you might get some great ideas to help you with maximizing the space within the confines of the current space.

• shirlpp
    7 years ago

Kudos to you for having a clean, counter free kitchen. I think you should change some of what you want, and I'd start with the double window. Is a double window really necessary, if not, then you can cut out this expense. The cabinets look to be in good shape, if so, consider just new doors - as you will need some money for flooring...Good Luck.

• partim
    7 years ago

Your kitchen designer will not price out the cost of the things not directly related to the kitchen, such as removing the wall, filling in the existing exterior door, enlarging the existing kitchen window or converting the dining room window into a sliding door. If you price out those changes, you will know what your remaining budget is for the cabinets, counter tops, sink/tap, flooring and appliances.

If you neighbor has no wall between the kitchen and dining room, it doesn't mean that it wasn't load bearing. If it was load bearing, they may have replaced it with a beam in the ceiling that you can't see. That's what we did.

• ijenny
    7 years ago
    fyi you will be able to put solid stone in kitchen by using remnants. maybe the only plus side to small kitchen. could increase. counter space by using a smooth top cookbook or range.
  • asm198 - Zone 6a (MO)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

We're ok with changing the window, as we're planning on replacing all the windows. I want double pane windows I can just open, rather than the single pane ones I have to have a rubber mallet to open.

• partim
    7 years ago

Without knowing your dimensions, my recommendation would be to extend your kitchen across the back wall, which would give you lots more counter space and possibilities to move the refrigerator to that back wall and create lots of counter space on either side of your cooking area. This is a U shaped or C shaped kitchen.

Then I'd cut a pass through between the kitchen and dining room. Much less expensive than removing a wall since you'd simply add a header above the opening, and have no need for a floor repair, and no need to replace the dining room floor. If you add a counter top you could have stools in your dining room, facing the kitchen. In your kitchen, this opening could go from the dining room door to where your new run of upper cupboards would end. [https://www.houzz.com/magazine/dont-pass-up-the-kitchen-pass-through-stsetivw-vs~2905043[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/dont-pass-up-the-kitchen-pass-through-stsetivw-vs~2905043)

Klopf Architecture - Kitchen from Sun Room · More Info

You might find these articles useful

[https://www.houzz.com/magazine/how-to-map-out-your-kitchen-remodels-scope-of-work-stsetivw-vs~1745902[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/how-to-map-out-your-kitchen-remodels-scope-of-work-stsetivw-vs~1745902)

[https://www.houzz.com/magazine/kitchen-remodel-costs-3-budgets-3-kitchens-stsetivw-vs~2091653[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/kitchen-remodel-costs-3-budgets-3-kitchens-stsetivw-vs~2091653)

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/how-to-work-with-a-kitchen-designer-stsetivw-vs~1548947

• shirlpp
    7 years ago

ha, ha...I hear ya. Is there a Lowes or HD that you can get a kitchen design from to better layout what you are thinking. I am thinking to move the fridge to the other side where you have the microwave, and maybe not taking the wall all the way back.

• User
    7 years ago

Exactly how handy are you? Do you own a table saw, a compound miter saw, a multi tool, a dozen clamps, several levels, an air compressor, an air chisel, a brad nailer, a couple of cordless drills, a house jack, a wetsaw for tile, an electrician's kit bag full of tools, and know how to cut and solder copper? Without all of those tools, and the skills to use them, you've got a 70K+ wish list. With those tools, and skills, you've got a 40K wish list.

• asm198 - Zone 6a (MO)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I don't want to piece together counter remnants or hunt through the Habitat ReStore, so I guess what I want to do isn't possible on our budget. That's a bummer, but best to know it now, rather than further on in the process. Thanks all.

• asm198 - Zone 6a (MO)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Partim, we can't extend the kitchen along the blank, wallpapered wall, as it will block the only heating vent in the kitchen. And I'd rather just knock the wall down, than bother with a pass through. We don't use the dining room at all and if I could turn that room into something else, I would. We've literally eaten in the dining room 3 times in the 14 years we've lived here and the only reason there is even a table and chairs there are because my husband has a sentimental attachment to them. Frankly, the dining room is an annoying waste of space.

• D J
    7 years ago
    Since you can't do what you want...
    Remove the wallpaper, add a laminate countertop. And sell. Let the next buyer deal with it.
    Your next house might have a kitchen that will need less update.
  • asm198 - Zone 6a (MO)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The wallpaper is long gone; it's just too dark to take pics right now.

Sophie Wheeler, we have everything on your list, and know how to use them all, except for: a house jack, a wetsaw for tile, an electrician's kit bag full of tools, and know how to cut and solder copper. We have a solder, but aren't familiar with copper piping.

Anyway, I'm glad I asked, since I wanted a reality check on this. I'd rather know now, than after we've committed to anything.

• PRO
    Linda
    7 years ago

You are talking about knocking down a wall, adding a window, removing an exterior door and patching flooring. All those major changes are under consideration but yet you are allowing the placement of one existing heat vent to nix any consideration of putting cabinets in that location? That doesn't make sense. All you need to do is to reroute the airflow through the toekick space under the cabinet.

If you truly want to tackle a kitchen renovation, you could decide to treat the money as a luxury purchase, like buying a Corvette to drive to work. Both purchases are expensive items that don't change the fundamentals of your life but they do allow you to enjoy that life in more luxurious surroundings. Neither is much of an investment on solely economic terms but still may fulfill your personal wishes to an extent that the economics become a secondary consideration.

Remodeling in a low housing cost area is different than expensive areas. You will increase the market value of your property only slightly, no matter how much money you spend. Likewise, dated but quality, functional spaces do not deter buyers and lower the property value as they might in different markets. I am quite familiar with lower cost housing areas - my first house cost $15,000 and there were some even cheaper properties on the market.

• eve_62025
    7 years ago

We had quite the sticker shock when we reno'd our 1979 kitchen last year. We did NOT pay $50-70K...but it wasn't $20K either. Changing the footprint of our kitchen was expensive. We worked with a kitchen designer for layout reconfiguration only and paid her for her plan. We hired a contractor that did most of his own work with the help of a carpenter and sometimes an apprentice. He discounted our labor when we worked alongside him and bid us out projects individually so we could see our spending. We bought everything when the sales were right and used rebates, coupons, craigslist and amazon. It was a lot of work but worth it to us! Good luck!!!

• Darzy
    7 years ago

Ikea...work hard, research, get bids, butcher block (treated) instead of quartz or granite. A little DIY and it's possible. Plan, plan, plan before you get started.

• rocketjcat
    7 years ago
    I'm not a pro but it seems you may save a considerable amount by not removing the dining room wall (just repurpose the room to more useable space) and put cabinets along that wall. We have 2 heat vents run in cabinet toe kicks and they actually work better than the floor ones since they direct heat straight into the room. Very inexpensive to install. And don't discount the habitat restore...I work at habitat once a week and you wouldn't believe the beautiful kitchens that are donated. We sell ours for 300-1000 depending on the amount of cabinets. We usually have 3 full kitchens at any 1 time in our store but the exceptional ones sell almost as fast as they're unloaded from the donation truck so you have to visit often. A nice laminate countertop may be more appropriate for the houses in your area, and a range will give you more counter space than a wall oven. If you post a measured drawing you may get some great budget friendly ideas.
  • shirlpp
    7 years ago

I agree with rocketjcat....also I'd piece together a few countertop remnants in a minute to get the kitchen that I want. I do whatever I can to save money(make my own pillows, headboards, seat cushions), and I have a job where I make quite a bit of money, so don't poo-poo putting together countertop remnants.

• arkvillager
    7 years ago

I know it's not popular but you could use granite tiles for a kitchen counter top and save a lot of money. Friends did it with a dark granite and very narrow seams so it wasn't noticeable. Again, they had an inexpensive retirement home and didn't want to spend a lot of money on it.

• partim
    7 years ago

We may have lost the original poster. She may start looking at compromises down the road, once the initial disappointment starts to fade a bit.

• Trish Covey
    7 years ago
    So...I'm sort of in the same situation. We have already taken down the wall between kitchen and dining room. New stove and frig are purchased. The plans a drawn up and require the sink to be moved to near where the dishwasher is now (need to buy new dishwasher and microwave). Replacing a regular window with a transit window. Just need to get my ass in gear to get pricing on cabinets and counters. Just apprehensive as this is the final room in a whole house renovation and funds are dwindling. Was hoping to do the remaining for $20,000, but husband says it's not possible.
  • PRO
    Linda
    7 years ago

These pictures show a cabinet set which is currently for sale at my local ReStore. The cabinets have maple shaker style doors and look to be in quite usable condition. These cabinets are priced at $1100 for the complete set. I don't imagine they will last for more than a day or two at that price.

$1100 ReStore cabinet set · More Info

remainder $1100 cabinet set · More Info

• rocketjcat
    7 years ago
    @Linda, yes similar to the nice ones we get at our restore. Today we got in a set with an almost new jenn air wall oven and built in microwave combo. Amazing what people remove, but thankfully they donate!
  • ijenny
    7 years ago
    countertop remnants are not necessarily tiny. I bought quartz that was eleven feet long for vanity top.
  • leelee
    7 years ago

I've heard really good things about IKEA cabinets very inexpensive and that is from someone that's had them almost 10 years. That alone could save you thousands.

• Snaggy
    7 years ago

I am starting my kitchen makeover next week ...cost £15.000 ..thats new cabinets..3 new windows .. tiles ..work top (not stone) built in oven new stove top new fridge freezer .. new dish washer ..plumbing and electrical work ..I admit I got the cabinets at cost because my builder has an account at the kitchen shop and no I did not buy cheep stuff ..it can be done but you really need to shop around !

• PRO
    Linda
    7 years ago

@Beverly - Your kitchen looks fantastic. It's definitely proof that good shopping and good design can keep the pricetag to a much more reasonable level

• asm198 - Zone 6a (MO)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm sorry if I came across as a ReStore and/or remnant snob; it's just that I've never had any luck with either avenue. I started talking about this remodel when we bought the house 13 years ago; had finally saved up the money in 2008, but it went to emergency repairs. I spent a year after that going weekly to the ReStore to see what they had and they never had cabinets like what was posted here.

A couple of days ago, we decided to stop by one of their locations, just to see and what we found was pretty much the same as what I found in 2009. A 4 ft stretch of cabinets that were so rickety that they you place your hand on them and you can see the seams, as well as jagged edges on the backs where they were popped off the wall. The general age of all the appliances was over 15 years, with a single oven listed as being 10+.

I'm not at all trying to be snobby, elitist, or anything of the sort, but I've spent so much time and gas to try and get a deal on these items over the years. I drove 45 minutes every week (which was as much as I could do, because of my work hours and their hours) to try and find a deal and I've concluded that there just isn't a deal to be had.

As far as countertop remnants, I'm not against them, but I don't want granite and I'm iffy on quartz. That's not a money issue; I just don't like granite and and it would be silly/unnecessary thing in our area.

I've looked around at appliances and backsplash tile and what we're thinking for backsplash tile, faucet, sink, dishwasher, fridge, wall oven, range, and range hood is about $4k and that was "let's go big" on the budget.

Anyway, I'm not a cheap jerk, nor am I some sort of snob whose too good for used items; I was just simply experiencing sticker shock based on some numbers I found on some local websites.

• User
    7 years ago

Mid grade prices. Not low end, not high end.

Wall oven 2-3K

Fridge 2-3K

Range 2-3K

Range hood 1-3K depending on style

DW $600-1200

Sink $300-700

Faucet $200-400

Disposal $100-200

Misc. appliances hoses, cords, and plumbing strainer baskets and accessories-$300-500

Appliance installation labor $700-900

Backsplash with labor 1K-3K

Low 10.2K High 19.1K For middle of the road products.

• Boingy Man
    7 years ago

I would also consider Ikea as well. Right now they have 20% off kitchens, which turns your $20k to $24k at Ikea. I also believe they do not tax on the material or possibly the entire purchase (I'm not 100% sure on this so I would check with Ikea to verify).

• jhmarie
    7 years ago

I would like to see the present kitchen if you are up for it:)

Many, many years ago the cabinet doors in my "new to me" house started falling apart - the inner panel popped out on an upper cabinet and nearly broke my foot:) My husband and I went over to Menards and replaced the cabinets with Medallion brand cabinets. We did not have much money. The cabinets did have solid wood doors - don't know if they do that anymore, but we simply replaced the old cabinets with the new, new countertop (laminate) and cast iron sink. It was about $7000 including the labor - now that was 20 years ago, but the cabinets are holding up great, if not fashionable. A few years later we changed the floor.

My appliances have always been the least expensive of a reasonably good name. My GE french door fridge was $1400 last year. If your appliances are working, they can be replaced as they die. My appliances are white. If you keep plumbing and electrical where they are it will save you a lot too. A bit of open shelving can replace an upper cabinet or two. A nice wide archway into the dining room might be better than taking down a wall. I also like the "unfitted" kitchen approach - furniture rather than walls of cabinets. I have a basic L shaped kitchen and it is not very big. As time went on I bought a nice Amish pie-safe, and a small Amish made island. Both greatly increased my storage and work space. They also both have more charm than a wall of cabinets.(my vintage kitchen is in my "my pics" idea book). Last year I did new counters, sink and backsplash for $5000. I did not remove my soffits. I hope sometime to widen the doorway to the dining room - not a big deal but we do run into each other, especially with the fridge there. I really like my simple little kitchen.

I have found that sometimes being a little short on funds brings out the creativity. When that happens, you end up with a kitchen with charm that reflects you rather than the same kitchen everyone is doing. Last summer I put in a kitchenette in my basement for about $1000 - without appliances. (also in my idea book) I refinished some of my original base cabinets and made shelves for where I had no corner cabinet and shelves for the uppers. I used stock laminate counters and my old cast iron sink. It is easier to do something like that if you like a cottage style. You could even look for unfinished stock maple cabinets and paint them yourself - quite a chore though.

You need more prep area and you say you have some dead space in the kitchen - show some pictures. Maybe we can help make a kitchen that functions better and looks sweet, even if not a glamorous magazine layout.

• shirlpp
    7 years ago

asm198 - you are getting a lot of great advice. Sophie has given you great price ranges on all of your kitchen needs. I see there is an Ikea in St. Louis, can you make it there to look at the cabinets?

• PRO
    Linda
    7 years ago

I'm sorry to hear that you haven't had any luck at ReStore - Every store is a different place with separate management and a different donation base. it is indeed a hit-or-miss place but I'm only a couple minutes drive from my local store. When I'm in mid-project mode, I am there at least twice a week. This store has a very good variety of products and I've bought several sets of kitchens cabinets there including the ones for the basement kitchenette/laundry area in my house. Finding a good deal on cabinets can take months if the space is a difficult layout but the price on higher end cabinets is just a fraction of the retail price.

If you aren't in a major metropolitan area, getting good deals on materials can be difficult. The biggest problem with the best deals is timing and then the logistics of collecting and storing the materials until you are ready to use them. That eats up a lot of time and energy and the deals have to be on products you actuallly like or else you end up with a mishmash that isn't quite right.

• Lila
    7 years ago

Ikea has great products but terrible stocking problems. They never have everything you need in stock and won't reserve anything. This means that you have to continually drive to the store in the hopes that the item you need is in stock. My friend just did an Ikea kitchen and getting all the pieces needed was a nightmare BUT in the end her kitchen looks amazing at a very reasonable price.

• ycity
    7 years ago
    I feel like this can be done.

Some ideas are using Ikea butcher block counter instead of a slab and cabinets from ikea and Craigslist for appliances. I especially love IKEA kitchens if you want a modern kitchen with slab fronts.

Also there are some companies around here that are super cheap. They offer ikea quality cabinets and are made in China and do the install, including granite and sink for super cheap, and price by linear foot. They advertise by mail in our area. the kitchens turn out great!!

The white shaker look is tricky, all the pics you see on houzz are custom jobs. The IKEA and cabinet companies that offer this look just don't look the same.
  • User
    7 years ago

Cheepchinesecrapola is never ever a ''solution'' for anyone who wants to live in their house.

• partim
    7 years ago

Sophie, why not simply say cheap Chinese crapola instead of cheepchinesecrapola? You're not one to beat around the bush.

• Steven Saldana
    7 years ago

Removing the wall isn't that much. A non load bearing wall in most homes should not exceed about 5k. The window's you can do your self, but seeing how cheap it is to remove a wall, you can pay someone if you can't do it yourself. You should be able to complete this project for under 20k. Leave the wall, leave the door, don't mess with the windows and you should be able to remodel that kitchen for 12k or less. Anything more is because you are using high end materials, brands, etc. and I am sorry, but your 120k home does not require that stuff. Remodel the room to fit the market. People do pay 50k for a kitchen remodel, but the home is worth 1MM plus. My kitchen didn't cost that much to remodel and it falls within this range.....you should be able to mak 150% on a kitchen. Spend 10k and you should increase property value by 15k. You spend 50k on a 120k home, you really think you'll increase the value to 195k? No.

• threegraces
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

What you are describing is very much what we did and we hired out everything except the backsplash (which I wish we would have paid someone for but that's a post for another day). We came in right about 45-50K. We had to wait another couple of years to save up for what we wanted but it was so worth it to us. Our market is not a 1 mil home either, not even close, but we were remodeling for our enjoyment and function, not for resale. 5 years later and I still am in love every day. That's longer than a lot of marriages ;) [https://www.houzz.com/discussions/reveal-and-another-abb-club-member-dsvw-vd~2705759[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/reveal-and-another-abb-club-member-dsvw-vd~2705759)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!