Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irna_silberman

Kitchen sink material options.

Irma Silberman
7 years ago
What r the material options for ready made kitchen sinks other then stainless steel & copper. What r the pros & cons of each?
What r the pros &cons as to over or under the counter sink installation?

Comments (19)

• jhmarie
    7 years ago

I love my Kohler Whitehaven "short apron" style cast iron farmhouse sink. The short apron style can be installed on a standard sink base cabinet - so good for remodels that keep the old sink base cabinet. I really like that it is undermount. It is a deep sink and being undermount feels even deeper - that was the only thing I had to get used to. I believe this is true of most undermount sinks. Although some say laminate can be used with an undermount sink if the edge is properly finished, I mostly see undermount sinks with granite, quartz or wood countertops.

I like wiping water and crumbs right into the sink and I like not having a caulked edge like my overmount sink had.

My old sink was cast iron and lasted over 18 years. Actually, it was moved to the basement kitchenette where it is still going strong.

There are also other sink material that work well - this is just what I used and I am very happy with it.

https://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/57579129/thumbs/my-pics-work-in-progress

https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~58831076

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

Stainless and copper scratch relatively easily, but are also easily refinished. Cast iron always looks good, but once it's chipped, it's chipped until the day you replace it. Silegranite is very tough and the rare scratches could possibly be removed, but matching the factory finish is unlikely. Acrylic (Corian) is tough, easily refinished, but can "bruise" and suffer heat damage if abused.

Everyone who comes to buy your house some day is going to want the sink undermounted. I've pulled two drop-ins and installed undermounts twice this week.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I see no reason to reinvent the wheel Stainless under mount is the easiest of all maintenance. Corian is not something ANYONE wants, Silgranite looks like a laundry sink in anything but black and black looks horrible unless spotless. Get a stainless and be done. There's a reason so many have it....and want it. Under mount please.. Nobody wants a drop in anything.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 years ago

I agree stainless is still IMO the best choice for ease of care, longevity and undermount is certainly the choice for most people, but have to admit loved my sink in this kitchen

• Judy Mishkin
    7 years ago

um. i had a corian sink and it was hell. hell. hell. cracks around the drain from pouring down boiling water from pasta pots. and every time someone poured cranberry juice from a glass and didnt rinse the sink, or left a used tea bag (guests do the strangest things) i had to have paper towels soaked with bleach for an hour.

i'll take stainless steel, thanks! with the matching grid, to keep the bottom from unnecessary wear.

• Veronica
    7 years ago

I Love my granite composite undermount sink in dark brown. shows no dirt, easy to clean and seamless look under the dark granite. I will never do stainless again.

• jhmarie
    7 years ago

I had a stainless sink in my first apartment and first home. I disliked both sinks. One reason there are many selections is that people have different taste - thank goodness.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 years ago

I have not seen ONE Corian sink that remained clean over time. I couldn't give one away, if my life depended on it even in a bath. The lower luster grabs every gooey substance and hair in a bath......and over time, not so much as a cup of coffee can be spilled into a kitchen drain without a subsequent stain. Sorry Joe. The Corian sink ship sailed. I don't have a client that would touch one, and the tiny "reveal" on an under mount stainless has not killed a soul I know of. The laundry room/powder room or kitchen island maintenance and housekeeping in many homes could do that.......far before any sink reveal.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

Sorry Jan, but I've seen a heck of a lot more Corian sinks than you and with just the minimum of care, they look great for decades. They are virtually impossible to stain. I've installed hundreds of them and have yet to get a call from a single customer expressing regret.

I've got a high gloss porcelain bowl in my bathroom that's slicker than snot that still catches toothpaste and hair.

It is important to make the distinction between polyester sinks which look a lot like acrylic (Corian) sinks and the genuine article. Polyester does not have the same thermo cycling ability as acrylic, hence nnirgrt's spider cracks at the drain. If you can't see a logo above or a tag underneath, you've got to start sanding and smell to tell the difference.

• PRO
    Main Line Kitchen Design
    7 years ago

Here is one of our blogs on the topic that discusses all types of sink types and their properties:

https://www.mainlinekitchendesign.com/category/4-2-kitchen-sinks-and-what-you-need-to-know-about-them/

• PRO
    Main Line Kitchen Design
    7 years ago

Corian sinks can be easily sanded to completely renew their surface by the way.

• Judy Mishkin
    7 years ago

it doesnt help the cracks around the drain tho.

perhaps some colors other than white may look acceptable for longer. but mine was really dismal, and stained from everything other than water.

• PRO
    Main Line Kitchen Design
    7 years ago

If you have cracks in Corian that is usually caused by rapid changes in temperature. For example when a sink full of ice has boiling spaghetti water poured in. This can not be fixed. All stains can be removed by sanding though. Link to directions below:

http://solidsurface.com/blog/4-tips-to-sanding-corian-guidelines-for-a-perfect-finish/

• jonio
    7 years ago
    I have a twenty-year old Corian sink in off white that looks as nice as Day One. I am careful to run cool water, when pouring pasta water directly down the drain. Any coffee/stains come easily clean with a few sprays of Clorox Cleanup. And, I cook a lot!
  • Judy Mishkin
    7 years ago

a sink should be designed to survive boiling water. no, there was no ice in the sink.

anyway, its a free country and folks are definitely allowed to choose whatever they like. but its always good to be an informed consumer.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

nnigrt;

I agree. Acrylic (Corian) sinks should not take the blame for imposters.

I went to Corian school in 1993. I remember because when we got out of class and went to the bar, the Branch Dividian compound was set on fire by our government and was on the television.

You would think that from 1993 to 2001 when I sold my shop, I would have heard at least one complaint against acrylic sinks. I heard none and haven't yet.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 years ago

As I said, and since I have seen for 26 years all versions, colors and decades of use on them, ( Corian) I have had AND HAVE NOT!!! : ) one client who would consider one. I can't speak to another area of the country........ but not here, it's a total no go.....and I still hate them. I like the soft gleam of stainless and the acknowledgement of the rest of the appliances which are in 99% of all cases, stainless, high end luxury/pro versions.

I will add that my attitude towards Corian tops? I have it in both my kitchen and bath.......and still love its clean simplicity of looks and care.. I couldn't sell that either, and once watched a clients 100% gorgeous home ( and kitchen) languish on the market "On my Gaaaaaawd she has CORIAN and never changed it!" . Cost her a 15k reduction in price.

• reanie65
    6 years ago
    What about copper sinks for durability?
    And how do you feel about the mix of copper sink with stainless steel appliances?