Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saintpetefl

What material can this kitchen counter be made of? Butcher block?

saintpetefl
7 years ago

We recently moved into a home with an outdated kitchen. We both like the counters in this kitchen (pictured below) and wanted to ask for recommendations on what kind of wood this might be. We had granite in the kitchen of our former home and we loved the convenience of it and how easily spills cleaned up. If I can identify this wood or wood-like material in the inspiration pictures, I can do research on whether it can fit our lifestyle. Thank you very much Houzz!

Comments (23)

• PRO
    User
    7 years ago

My recommendation is always for quartz counters. Quartz can be as beautiful as granite without the headache of maintenance.

saintpetefl thanked User
  • saintpetefl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you, can this type of wood-like look be achieved with quartz?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

haven't see that exact look in quartz, but they do make porcelain countertops. check with those.

saintpetefl thanked Beth H. :
  • User
    7 years ago

One of the following is your best bet for a counter-top:

Solid surface (Corian, Avonite) Quartz composite (Zodiac, Silestone, Cambria) and still in demand good old granite.

PS - I am curious why you think this kitchen is "outdated".

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Daniel, the pictures are what he likes, not his current house. He's asking if there are countertops like the ones in his pictures that aren't actual wood butcher block. (reread his post and maybe you'll understand it better)

• lefty47
    7 years ago

HI -- I believe those are Maple wood counters in those photos .

saintpetefl thanked lefty47
  • Kathy Furt
    7 years ago
    Granite or marble slabs are your best bet for looks. Calacutta or carerra. You just need to seal it. Or honed leather granite looks really pretty
  • User
    7 years ago

@Beth H., yes missed this. However, Solid surface (Corian, Avonite) Quartz composite (Zodiac, Silestone, Cambria) and good old granite are still the materials of choice for counter-tops. Marble has been used, but is much softer than granite. So OP can start research from here. Wood is not my favorite (not that wood "butcher block" hasn't been done before, but it's definitely not what is on the posted pictures).

• Kathy Furt
    7 years ago
    Don't you think that's butcher block?
  • Kathy Furt
    7 years ago
    And it's ugly anyway
  • PRO
    User
    7 years ago

I steer clients away from marble. Even if it's sealed, lemon juice or vinegar can score it.

saintpetefl thanked User
  • luvsparis
    7 years ago
    The way I read the OP's post, he likes the countertop. He would like to identify what kind of wood it is to see if it's something that fits into his lifestyle in regards to maintenance. Is that correct?
    saintpetefl thanked luvsparis
  • Kathy Furt
    7 years ago
    I love it!! It's very popular here in California
  • saintpetefl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi everyone! OP here. Sorry for the confusion. I really like the counters in the pictures and sought help in identifying the type of wood.

My current kitchen is from the 1990s and we are beginning to research materials. Thank you for the feedback!

• gwluthy25
    7 years ago

Using google image search I was able to find the real estate listing for the house where this kitchen counter is located. It is in Pinecrest FL. Perhaps you could contact the agent who could provide the information or a Houzzer in Pinecrest could do a little research. http://www.movoto.com/home/7260-sw-109th-ter-pinecrest-fl-33156-432_a10246387

• saintpetefl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Wow, Patricia. Your kitchen and counters are beautiful!! Thank you

• PRO
    Waterview Kitchens
    7 years ago

Beautiful photo. I believe those are a white washed maple. Wood can be used with a food grade oil or polyurethane finish.

saintpetefl thanked Waterview Kitchens
  • saintpetefl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hello everyone! I contacted the listing agent (a resourceful Houzzer noticed that the pictures came from a listing) she told me that the countertops are not wood, but a tile-like material! She left a message with the sellers and will (hopefully) let me know more about this material. I will provide an update to help out others who find this post. Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question.

• PRO
    saintpetefl thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • saintpetefl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you so very much, Beverly! Responses such as the ones on this thread that point me to the right direction are among the reasons why i enjoy Houzz

• PRO
    KBG Design
    7 years ago

I'm late to the mix, but I was going to say that it looks like a Dekton product.

saintpetefl thanked KBG Design
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

saintpetefl, if you go to the Houzz Kitchen Forum and search Dekton, there are quite a few conversations about this and Neolith.

http://www.gardenweb.com/gardenweb/query/Dekton/topic=kitchbath

saintpetefl thanked BeverlyFLADeziner