Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
david_mcgrath90_zn6

Are there any bad mulches to put around a raised bed?

I cross posted this so hopefully the hate messages are at a minimum. I've asked this question before but there's a wrinkle to it that I could use some advice with. You've all been a great help and I appreciate it. I put together my no frills 3 by 8 foot raised bed (10 inches high) and filled it with a 50/50 compost/soil combo. I'm all set to go and was going to surround it with wood chips; nice and easy. I just got wayyyyy too mulch hemlock mulch dropped onto my driveway, the fibrous kind, and have put it everywhere it can go in my yard, and then some. Looks great I can't lie, but I still have a lot leftover. Can I surround my bed with this? I don't know why but I remember in my research somebody saying this wasn't a good idea. If it's not I'll stick with my original plan of simple wood chips.

Also, my neighbor saw what I was doing and gave me some weed barrier to lay around the bed so I did. He was adamant about it. Can this somehow be negative? It's easily taken away if it is since nothing is put down over it yet. Thanks as always.

Comments (5)

• toxcrusadr
    7 years ago

Absolutely nothing wrong with shredded woody mulch. It's recommended never to TILL IN wood chips because they can deplete available soil nitrogen, but laying them on top, even directly around the plants, does not have this effect.

Personally I would not use the weed block. If you were using gravel, maybe, but keep in mind this wood is going to decompose into a rich soil-like matrix which will then sprout weeds when seeds find their way into it by wind or birds. Then you have soil with weeds growing on top of your weed block fabric. There is a thread here called "Don't use weed block fabric. Just don't do it." You might want to look at that. Other than this problem, it won't hurt anything, but it can be a hassle is all.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    7 years ago

Simple answer, no! You can use any kind of mulch you can get your hands on to surround a raised bed like in the photo. It makes absolutely no difference to whatever is growing in the bed.

However I agree with tox and with all the comments made in your other post that weed barrier/landscape cloth are just creating more problems down the road and are really unnecessary for use in this situation.

• rgreen48
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I would keep in mind the future of the space.

The people who owned my house before I bought it put down a gravel (colored stone) walkway. The distance from my driveway to the front entrance way is about 100'. The 1" stones are all over the place... even pushed down through the plastic liner into the ground underneath. They get kicked out of the pathway and just become a general mess. To keep them looking good, I would need to constantly rake them, and add to them every few years. I have removed quite a bit, but it is hard work. And just try weed eating around stones... shin bruises and broken windows!

Now I have a combination of large paving stones and wood chips down into the areas where I have had the time to remove the stone.

Large paving stones only require re-leveling every few years, and the wood chips are free, and simply decompose, making no serious problems. I would say that small, gravel-sized stones do not make good mulch.

So, when you want a different use for the space in 5 - 10 years, you will be glad you used something that broke-down naturally and improved the soil.

The other thing is the weed barrier discussed on your other thread. The former owners also used weed barrier around a shrub. The shrub grew up and spread by the roots right through the weed barrier. Weeds grew up from below, and down through the barrier. When I removed the shrub, it was much more difficult to remove the barrier than the shrub!

So, from experience... natural mulches, and no weed barrier lol.

• Lloyd
    7 years ago

Without fail I get dozens of bags of chopped up weed fabric just full of roots and sod clumps attached every year. Obviously it is from people that are removing the stuff. I hate it, big PITA.

• David Mcgrath zone6 NJ
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks everyone. I really hit a nerve about the weed barrier. Who knew?