Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sis2two

Skin Care Recommendations for anti-aging, dry skin

sis2two
7 years ago

Would love to get some recommendations for a good skin care line. I have dry skin and would like some anti-aging products as well.

Ive used the Reclaim products for several years off and on but am curious if there may be something better. Would love to hear from others what you have found to be good. Thanks in advance!

Comments (113)

• Oakley
    6 years ago

I heard Paula's Choice anti-aging is very good. The best thing to do IMO, is to go to Amazon's Anti-Aging Serums and look at all the top rated serums.

Many dermatologists who don't sell a particular line (for profit!) will tell you buying OTC retinol serums work just as good than the more expensive ones.

I ordered LilyAna Naturals Retinol Cream. 1,427 reviews, 4 1/2 stars.

• LucyStar1
    6 years ago

Two of the Resist products that I consider to be essential are:

RESIST Daily Smoothing Treatment with 5% AHA

RESIST Intensive Repair Cream

You can also get samples of many of her products.

• User
    6 years ago

dgs, Differin for Acne?

• sis2two
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Lucy for posting the link to Paula's Choice for Imhappy.

Imhappy- Personally, I use the cleanser every morning, the serum and the day moisturizer. I occasionally use the toner but not often. Mostly I use it after cleansing at night. My bedtime routine is cleanser, toner, the AHA, and the nighttime moisturizer. I understand you not wanting to do all of the steps as I didn't do those before either. I do think it's best to do them though to get the best results. The travel set has everything except the toner and is 30.00. I think ordering this kit would be a good way to try the products. Hope this helps!

• User
    6 years ago

AGH! This is too hard!

I have these 2 items in my cart:

RESIST Intensive Wrinkle-Repair Retinol Serum

RESIST Anti-Aging Eye Cream

And for my free samples I chose:

RESIST Retinol Skin-Smoothing Body Treatment

Size: Sample

Bonus 1

EARTH SOURCED Antioxidant Enriched Natural Moisturizer

Bonus 1

SKIN RECOVERY Super Antioxidant Concentrate Serum with
    Retinol

• tinam61
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Differin (retinoid) is used for acne. I read where there is now an OTC version. Retinol is what is used for anti-aging. I know there is a difference, but I would have to look up to see what as I have forgotten. Not sure you would want to use the acne version for anti-aging. For retin-a/retinol, etc. make sure to look at the STRENGTH (percentage) of what you are buying as that makes a huge difference. OTC will not be as strong as prescription.

• sis2two
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Imhappy- The PC nighttime moisturizer has retinol in it and it's the only retinol product that I use and it can be used around the eyes as well so I don't know that you need the eye cream. As was mentioned above the AHA and the nighttime moisturizer such as the Resist Intensive repair Cream are the most important products imo. I use the Resist Super Antioxidant serum in the morning and it's very good. It's full of antioxidants that are really beneficial for your skin. That's why I was suggesting the travel set as those are included in that set.

• tinam61
    6 years ago

Okay - after this discussion, I looked up the difference. Which seems to be the delivery (if I am understanding correctly). You want an emollient delivery for anti-aging (renova). Technically they are both forms of retin-a but differin does not have FDA approval for anti aging. Renova does. There's even a retinoid used for psoriasis!

Retin-A: Most commonly prescribed
    Retin-A Micro: Arguably the best for acne
    Renova: Best for smoothing skin, arguably the best for aging skin
    Differin: Best for severe acne if combined with prescription doxycycline; best for melasma
    Tazorac: Best for psoriasis

(see link for article)retin a formulas (what to use for what)It's really best to see a derm for a recommendation of what would be best for your skin.

• User
    6 years ago

OK. I will look at it again tomorrow. All these years without a beauty regiment and now... seems kind of silly. But that driver's license was scary.

• User
    6 years ago

this one is sold out

RESIST Essential Kit for Normal to Dry Skin but if I call they will help me build a kit.

How about these 3?

RESIST Intensive Wrinkle-Repair Retinol Serum

RESIST Daily Smoothing Treatment with 5% AHA

-RESIST Intensive Repair Cream

I'm going to bed. This decision is exhausting!

• sis2two
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Those three sound good but it may help to talk with someone there so that they can steer you in the right direction. They have been very helpful when I've called. And you are right- it's hard to know where to start. Good luck!

• sis2two
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I meant to tell you that the serum that I use is the Resist Super Antioxidant Serum in the blue tube and I have been very pleased with it.

• LucyStar1
    6 years ago

I have found the Olay products to be "smoke and mirrors". When I am looking for an anti-aging product, I am looking for a treatment product for wrinkles, not a moisturizer. One of the ingredients that Olay uses is mica. Mica is a light-diffusing product. It deflects light off of the skin, so I guess the wrinkles don't appear so bad. That is not what I am looking for in a product. I am looking for something that actually reduces wrinkles, not just the appearance of wrinkles. (I got sucked into buying an Olay product years ago, only to realize that I was just buying a moisturizer. Never again.) Also, the Olay products are not packaged properly to ensure the efficacy of the ingredients.

Here is the Beautipedia review:

This moisturizer is identical to Olay's original Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream, which contains fragrance. Other than omitting fragrance (doing so is best for all skin types), the same comments apply: Applying a moisturizer like this increases hydration, and that can make skin cells plump, but it doesn't restore volume to a face that is sagging as a result of the complex processes associated with aging. In other words, despite the name, this is not a face-lift in a jar. Actually, the jar packaging does a disservice to the range of antioxidants in this product (it does contain more antioxidants than many Olay products) because jar packaging won't keep these great ingredients stable. That leaves you with a decent lightweight moisturizer for normal to slightly dry skin, but little else. See More Info to learn why jar packaging is a problem.

Pros:

• Hydrates skin and contains an impressive amount of the cell-communicating ingredient niacinamide.
    • Fragrance-free.
    • Silky texture works well under makeup.

Cons:

• Jar packaging won't keep the antioxidants stable once this is opened.
    • Cannot sculpt skin so its youthful contours are restored.
    • Unable to lift sagging skin (see More Info to find out why).

More Info:

JAR PACKAGING: The fact that it's packaged in a jar means the beneficial ingredients won't remain stable once it is opened. All plant extracts, vitamins, antioxidants, and other state-of-the-art ingredients break down in the presence of air, so once a jar is opened and lets the air in, these important ingredients begin to deteriorate. Jars also are unsanitary because you're dipping your fingers into them with each use, adding bacteria, which further deteriorate the beneficial ingredients (Sources: Free Radical Biology and Medicine, September 2007, pages 818–829; Ageing Research Reviews, December 2007, pages 271–288; Dermatologic Therapy, September-October 2007, pages 314–321; International Journal of Pharmaceutics, June 12, 2005, pages 197–203; Pharmaceutical Development and Technology, January 2002, pages 1–32; International Society for Horticultural Science, www.actahort.org/members/showpdf?booknrarnr=778_5; and Beautypackaging.com, and www.beautypackaging.com/articles/2007/03/airless-packaging.php).

SAGGING SKIN: Many skin-care products claim they can firm and lift skin, but none of them work, at least not to the extent claimed. A face-lift-in-a-bottle isn't possible, but with the right mix of products, you will see firmer skin that has a more lifted appearance—and that's exciting! To gain these youthful benefits, you must protect your skin from any and all sun damage every day, use an AHA (glycolic acid or lactic acid) or BHA (salicylic acid) exfoliant, and use products that have a wide range of antioxidants and skin-repairing ingredients. Remember, no single product can do it all; it's the combination of products that has extensive research showing it can significantly improve many of the signs of aging such as firming skin, reducing wrinkles and brown spots, and eliminating dullness. You'll find them on our list of Best Anti-Aging/Anti-Wrinkle Products.

https://www.beautypedia.com/skin-care-reviews/by-brand/olay/_/Regenerist-micro-sculpting-cream-fragrance-free

• LucyStar1
    6 years ago

imhappy, I think you will be happy (no pun intended) with those three products.

I think Paula herself has said that you don't really need a separate eye treatment product, because the ingredients are the same.

• Oakley
    6 years ago

Olay Regenerist serum worked pretty good for me, and it comes in a pump bottle which is dark and air tight. My SIL uses a lot of the Olay regimen and she swears by it.

• User
    6 years ago
  • Oakley
    6 years ago

Imhappy, aren't those reviews just amazing? That many people can't be lying. I also like how it can be used around the eyes.

• Babs Fla
    6 years ago

Trusting y'all...just dropped $100 plus at PC....

• salonva
    6 years ago

That eye cream is what Oakley said she's been using. I don't know that I would understand the meaning, but lots of the retinol creams state a % of retinol. On groupon today there is one listed with 3%. I looked at the Lilyanna one but cannot find a %. Again I am not even sure if I would know what relevance it holds, but thought I might inquire if anyone knows.

• User
    6 years ago

I've been using Alpha's retinol cream and 14% AHA for about a year. I feel like they both work but I really saw improvement when I started using the AHA. (Was using the Retinol for a few weeks prior.) The texture on my chest was starting to get weird (too much sun) and within a few days you could see the difference. It's smooth and just looks much better now. I use the AHA during the day and retinol at night. They have other percentages of AHA to try. FWIW, I have combination skin that isn't sensitive.

Alpha 14% AHA

Alpha wrinkle repair cream

I would like to try this Mad Hippie's face cream.

Mad Hippie

• PRO
    MDLN
    6 years ago

@ rita, respectfully disagree, they are different medicatons. Differin contains adapalene; Renova contains tretinoin.

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    6 years ago

Yikes, I am so sorry for posting misinformation. It's what the pharmacist told me when I picked up my Renova prescription a few months ago and I was buying a tube of Differin for my son at the same time. I will delete my post.

• nannygoat18
    6 years ago

True, they are different medications. However, Differin can be used as an anti-aging product (from Livestrong.com)

Only a doctor can prescribe Differin gel, and its primary purpose is to treat acne. However, because of the keratolytic action of topical retinoids, this gel can also even out your skin tone and make your complexion softer and smoother. By getting rid of dead skin cells and increasing the rate at which your skin makes more, adapalene refines your skin’s texture and evens out fine lines or wrinkles. It also helps improve the look of skin that has been damaged by the sun and incurred age spots or other discolorations, according to DermNet NZ.

• PRO
    MDLN
    6 years ago

@ nannygoat, Differin/adapalene 0.1% does not require an Rx; 0.3% is an Rx product.

• Oakley
    6 years ago

Salonva, which eye cream are you talking about? The serum I bought can be used for both the eyes and face.

• sis2two
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I noticed that Paula's Choice is having a 20% off Labor Day sale if anyone is thinking about purchasing her products.

• tinam61
    6 years ago

nannygoat and others - Diferin is not your best choice of the retinoids for anti-aging. Take into consideration your skin type (dry, oily). Many of us need a moisturizing "route" for a retinoid. Plus, remember to always wear sunscreen. These products make your skin more susceptible to sun damage.

Vitamin A derivatives (retinoids) can unclog pores, boost collagen to
    reduce fine lines, and reverse sun damage. Tretinoin is the first
    generation of vitamin A derivatives. Today there are three prescription-strength retinoids: tretinoin (brands include Atralin, Avita, Retin-A, Retin-A Micro, Renova), tazarotene (Avage, Tazorac), and adapalene (Differin).
    Many dermatologists find tazarotene stronger (and potentially more
    irritating) than tretinoin; adapalene is the gentlest but may be less
    effective.

The cream based tretinoin is more for normal to dry skin, while the
    gel based is usually for very oily skin. Renova is more moisturizing
    than Retin A. It is indicated for cosmetic use for fine wrinkles in
    addition to sun avoidance program. Insurance company doesn’t usually
    cover Renova, although the active ingredient retinoic acid can be
    covered on insurance plans.

• salonva
    6 years ago

oakley-- I was talking about the lilyanna cream which you posted and i did see it is for eyes and face. sorry for additionally confusing.

(This is so complicated. I start out ready to make a purchase and go with it and then I get confused.:( )

• Oakley
    6 years ago

I have a question. I went to Paula's Choice and it was recommended to cleanse, tone, exfolliate with an AHA/BHA cream, retinol serum, then moisturize and use whatever else your using.

When I looked up AHA creams on Amazon, they were all face scrubs. Is that right? So basically you wash your face twice? Or are there AHA creams you just rub into your face before putting on retinol?

If I didn't sweat or wear makeup during the day, I'm lucky to get my face washed just once before I go to bed. lol.

• sis2two
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Oakley! With the Paula's Choice AHA, I use at night only and put it on after toner and before moisturizer. I don't use it during the daytime. My nighttime moisturizer by PC has retinol in it.

• sis2two
    Original Author
    6 years ago

And the AHA is just rubbed into your skin. I generally then wait a couple of minutes before moisturizing. Hope this helps!

• Bluebell66
    6 years ago

Salonva, Retin-A comes in various strengths. The weakest, I think is .025%. That is for people with really sensitive skin or perhaps for other reasons need to ease slowly into using it at greater strength. Then .05, and .1. I've never heard of 3%. (Editing to add that now I see in a post above that Differin comes in a .3%.) I am starting .025 soon, as soon as it arrives in the mail. Lately my skin has been extra dry, so the dermatologist wants me to start slowly, because retinol products can be very drying. She told me most people can start at .05 or .1.

That Amazon cream with the rave reviews contains retinol, but it's much weaker than prescription strength retinoid products, and I could be wrong, but I don't think a percentage is given for non-prescription strength retinol products. I think it would be a great way to ease into using a prescription strength retinoid such as Retin-A, and am considering giving it a try myself before I start the Retin-A.

• User
    6 years ago

salonva "(This is so complicated. I start out ready to make a purchase and go with it and then I get confused.:( )"

Would you like to join my club? You can be VP. Or even Pres. if you'd rather.

• User
    6 years ago

Oakley the AHA I use from Alpha is a liquid. The other less concentrated ones are creams. They stay on the skin.

• Oakley
    6 years ago

I'll search for AHA liquid and not cream. It'll be interesting to see if they work better together than using retinol alone. Thanks everybody! Off to be beautiful! ;)

• tinam61
    6 years ago

Check out Shee's post, hers was not a scrub.

• joaniepoanie
    6 years ago

I bought the Resist travel kit on Amazon a month or so ago. I like the products and just ordered some of the full size versions with the Labor Day sale. I'm lucky in that I don't have a lot of wrinkling yet (more sagging) but one difference I have noticed is little bumps on my face have gone down. I also plan to order some of the LilyAna mentioned.

• Oakley
    6 years ago

Joanie, I used the LilyAna last night and I didn't need a moisturizer afterwards. The bottle says to use twice a day which I like doing. It's air tight and comes in a pump.

• salonva
    6 years ago

Imhappy&Iknowit IOWA zone 6b

salonva "(This is so complicated. I start out ready to make a purchase and go with it and then I get confused.:( )"

Would you like to join my club? You can be VP. Or even Pres. if you'd rather.

Hahahaha. Just saw this. Sounds like we can be wavering procrastinating buddies. So first we ought to think about who would be better suited for each position. And then, should it be VP or some other title. And then what would we call our club. And would it be open to everyone who identifies or would we limit the #. And then what #............................ :)

• always1stepbehind
    6 years ago

ummm...yes...if you want your skin to dry and flake off, definitely try Adapalene. My son is using it for acne and it dried the crud out of his face. I think he used too much to be honest, but I can see how it could be use to get old skin off. He was using the 0.1% gel. Maybe I should try it LOL

• User
    6 years ago

salonvaI, I'm too lazy to be president. You be president and if you abdicate, I'll step in. If we had LOTS of members we would get lots of help. On the other hand, few members means the decisions are quick and easy. I think your proposed title is perfect: Wavering Procrastinating Buddies WPB. I lost this thread but for once I had book marked it and remembered that I did and BONUS I even remembered which folder I saved it to! Must be my lucky day.

Does anyone remember the name of that doctor who used to be on The Doctors on TV and now she's hawking retinol on early night TV. It occurred to me that their "free" offer, regularly $99, might be worth a try. And now I don't know where to sign up!

• daisychain Zn3b
    6 years ago

Shee (at least I think it was shee but this thread is so long now, I'm too lazy to go back and check), you got me looking at the mad hippie products and I ordered the vitamin A serum and face cream. I love the vit A serum. I used to use and love Retisol (prescription retinol, I think) and then they seemed to have some production issues and it disappeared. This Vit. A serum seems to have the same effect. I've only been using it a couple of weeks but I am hopeful. The skin cream is just a nice thick non-irritating skin cream that is not uber expensive. I tried the Paula's choice and it was just okay for me - nothing I felt like I needed to continue. I like the mad hippie stuff way more. I also like that there are only a few products so I don't have to join salonval and imhappy in the "it's too complicated" club :)

• User
    6 years ago

I tried Retinal... I think, and Vanicream moisturizer. Mostly I forget the retinal. Am I spelling that right? Too lazy to get up and look. I like the moisture cream a lot and it was really cheap. I bought it for my arms with the crepe paper skin. That's better. I don't know about the retinal.

In the meantime I bought a bunch of Neutrogena stuff and I like that. The eye cream might be working for those black bags under my eyes. Those are once a day which is good because I'm doing really well if I remember to do it every day. And the wrinkle stuff has the sun screen in it which was also another thing I didn't think about until I was outside. But every 80 minutes is a PITA. I wonder how the neutrogena wrinkle stuff with SPF 30 works all day? Doesn't seem like it would.

So that's where I'm at. The driver's license picture is 20 days away. It has to look better than the last one.

• User
    6 years ago

Daisy - Oh good! I'm glad you like those. Just to throw more in the mix, these two things are also on my list to try.

https://www.timelessha.com/collections/anti-wrinkle-serums/products/matrixyl-synthe6-serum-1-oz

https://www.timelessha.com/collections/anti-wrinkle-serums/products/20-vitamin-c-e-ferulic-acid-serum-1-oz

In general, Neutrogena sunscreen.... I haven't used a lot of their products but the oil free Clear Face, SPF 55 burns my skin. I don't typically have sensitivity issues.

• anele_gw
    6 years ago

I have not read the responses-- I apologize. But I like this site a lot: https://www.makeupartistschoice.com/  If you send them pics and describe your issues, they will send you their recommendations. You can buy almost everything in a sample size.

• Bluebell66
    6 years ago

Anele, the testimonials on Makeup Artists Choice are compelling! Thanks for sharing that site.

• anele_gw
    6 years ago

Yes, they are! BTW they always have a 20% coupon listed on the site, Bluebell66!

• User
    6 years ago

Driver's license picture does not look as good as the last one and it was awful. Oh, I hope I don't look as terrible as this picture. I look like someone's great grandfather.

• User
    6 years ago

I have not found the fountain of youth, but, have recently been using St Ives Collagen Elastin Moisturizer and I really like it. It feels rich enough and gets absorbed well. St Ives Moisturize 10 ounces! under $10.