Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avemariaworksofmercy

Need help to spruce up front of house

We have a beautiful view from the front of our house. Pasture with horses and a river with mountains in the background. Was thinking about making the front of our house a sitting area.
It is pretty ugly ( the front of the house) but the property is gorgeous!
Any ideas?

Comments (12)

• TanCalGal
    10 years ago
    With roof overhang it looks like you might already have a cement area for seating?
    Porter Street Bungalow · More Info
  • Claudianne Young
    10 years ago
    I would paint the brick white, and add shutters and a black front door. I would move one of the taller bushes to the white space on the left and move the two little ones somewhere else. A darker roof would also look good. Add brick or pavers under the high windows and put some black furniture there.
  • Marly
    10 years ago
    I think that painting the door would help the curb appeal a lot. I didn't notice your door at first; I noticed the two long windows instead.

I would not add shutters. I don't think they are really designed for a triple window. Instead, you can fill the space by adding a large window box below the half windows.
  • PRO
    Ginkgo Leaf Studio
    10 years ago
    Plant spruces? Sorry I couldn't resist! I agree with Carolyn, hire a professional landscape designer. With a beautiful property like that, you want to do it right.
  • PRO
    Peterson Masonry Design
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    It looks like there is as much oportunity as your budget allows. The roof line, entry and topography all allow for beautiful changes. This is not always the case as a number of existing factors can make it very difficult to make changes that work, and or they become cost prohibitive. This is not the case with your home. An architect and or landscape designer will appriciate these same existing attributes and help you develop a strategy around your goals and budget. The amount spent for these services will often quickly pay for itself in savings and give you a clear plan for bidding. I think adding a significant amount of stone would be stunning!
  • curryj
    10 years ago
    I would add a front proch all across the brick portion of your home. Center the steps to the front proch so that the house looks balanced. Steps to a porch do not always have to be in front of a door.
    Hanging baskets of ferns on the porch would distract from the unbalanced size of the front windows. (brick portion of the house) Replace the front door. I would replace the front shutters on the two wooden wings with real working shutters. Dark green evergreen shrubs like holly and boxwood plants would look fantastic in front of the porch and also in front of the wings. In front of the home where it appears there is a slope I would plant a solid juniper or mondo grass ground cover. I would remove the arbor in front of the house because the style is not in keeping with the home. What a beautiful house you have. You should be so proud.
  • furrytoes
    10 years ago
    Architectural and Interior Photography · More Info

Debra Campbell Design · More Info

James Hill Architect · More Info
  • avemariaworksofmercy
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @peterson masonry design, where would you put the stone over the brick?
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    10 years ago
    looks very disjointed with 2 white pieces added on either side of a brick house.
  • PRO
    Peterson Masonry Design
    10 years ago
    I guess my first thought was terraceing and outcroppings in the landscape creating the impression of a parkatecture transition similar to furrytoes James Hill photo. If you are in the mountains I little investigation could lead to you getting this product for little more than trucking. The roof pitch is steep enough to allow for a more accentuated entry way as well as a dormer, a couple hundred sqft possibly enjoying your beautiful surrounding. There are thin veneer stone products 1"-3" thick that can be applied directly to the brick. This is purchased at masonry suppliers. For a reduced sqft cost you can buy patio stone (steppers) 2" thick at a lower price and a skilled mason can adapt the material. The most dramatic transformations would be adding the stone landscaping and perennials, and adding a dormer and entry (breaking up the roof line and adding space. Looks like there may be room for a walkout to enjoy the view on either side also? Stone on the house would certainly be appealing, but could be view as the finishing touch that brings everthing together.
    If you like this vision there is no need to tackle it all at one time. Many of the projects I work on we develop a complete plan and end up working on it over years. One stage at a time. This allows for finding the best deals more is spent in a rushed process). It also allows for a large amount of the project to be done out of pocket. It is very significant what is spend on interest loans. Good luck! I think you'll have fun and end up with something you will enjoy everyday!
  • curryj
    10 years ago
    Here are some great pictures