Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tbchic

Can I do wood look tile next to real wood

tbchic
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Is this a no no? Wood look tile where the white tile is next to the real wood in the picture? It will probably look dumb, but I am having trouble deciding what to do. The white tile will be demo'd and I really don't want to continue that existing wood into kitchen/living. Cabs are white shaker, counter marble carrara look.

My options are:

1- Grey tile (ok option just don't love all gray and white kitchen)

2- Wood look tile 12" x 36" affordable (prob not good look next to real wood?)

3- All new wood for entire house $$$$$$

Would the Tile wood look be ok in this area next to my wood?

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Cinar Interiors, Inc.
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

You can but it normally doesn't look very good. A real product next to a fake..

• C Priday
    6 years ago

I would have to agree! You could do something that looked a little less like authentic wood if you love that type of tile.

• PRO
    Jodie White Designs
    6 years ago

Are you replacing only the floor in the kitchen?

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

You can, but I wouldn't recommend you trying to match the wood-look tile to your existing wood floor. Your kitchen is a different space, so it can get a different looking floor. There are, seemingly, endless styles of floor tile, go with something that stands out to your taste, and don't get suck trying to match your wood floor.

https://theflooringblog.com/installing-tile-where-it-makes-sense/

The Couture Floor Company

• tbchic
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Jodie White - That is what I wanted to do just replace the white tile in those pics which is the kitchen, a nook and a small family room. The area with the wood is the entry/dining/formal living.

I hate to remove a wood that is decent. It's not terrible, but it's not what I would pick if I had the choice.

CPriday - Can you share what tile is in your picture next to the wood? I do like that.

• PRO
    Jodie White Designs
    6 years ago

Benefits of Cork Flooring

Cork flooring can be installed in virtually any room in the house.

However, it will require special care in moist, damp areas, or spaces that get a high level of traffic.

• Soft: If you have ever pulled a cork from a wine bottle then you know how soft and pliable this material can be. It has a yielding surface beneath the feet that is very comfortable to stand on even for long periods of time.
    • Sound: An installation of cork flooring will act as natural insulation for a space, blocking out ambient noise that can come from rooms below. This is due to the fact that its surface is made up of millions of cells filled with air, acting as tiny sound cushions.
    • Impact: Cork also cushions impact sounds that can come from rolling or sliding furnishings across the floor, an important feature in schools and hospitals.
    • Green: Cork flooring is all natural, biodegradable, and very renewable.
    • Resilient: Cork’s ability to bounce back from impressions means that most objects will not leave dents in its surface.
    • Non-Slip: Even when wet cork can provide a good level of traction for your feet.

Drawbacks to Cork Flooring

• Maintenance: In order to keep an installation looking attractive you will have to perform regular cleaning and maintenance on it.
    • Stains: If not sealed properly cork can be stained very easily by dirt, spills, or other contaminants.
    • Moisture: Cork flooring is generally not recommended in very moist environments unless it is properly sealed several times in order to protect the material. This seal will have to be reapplied periodically to prevent moisture from penetrating the surface of the floor.
    • Dents: You will need to place protective mats underneath the legs of particularly heavy furniture to prevent permanent divots from forming.
    • Replacement: With proper maintenance, a cork floor can last for years however eventually it will begin to show signs of wear and need to be replaced.
    • Below are a few examples to transition to your kitchen. It also can be stained to match your existing hardwoods.

• C Priday
    6 years ago

The tile above from my earlier comment is Unicom Overall Hemp in 12 X24.

tbchic thanked C Priday
  • tbchic
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Jodie White - Do you know where I can find that material in your last image? Is it tile planks? Thank you!

• vg
    2 years ago

@tbchic: did you end up installing wood look porcelain tile next to real wood? We are struggling with the same question. We have engineered wood floor in the living and dining room, and like a porcelain tile in wood look and herringbone design in a similar shade. Any thoughts would be helpful

• vg
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

https://www.miragefloors.com/en-us/hardwood-flooring-white-oak-isla-exclusive-brushed/ is the wood floor, and the wood look tile is the herringbone design on the right in the picture

The plank in the middle is a sample of our wood floor

• cmotyka
    8 months ago

Can you please share the herrringbone tile infor to include color? thanks!