Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anna_lyssa_labrecque

More roses today - Roxburghii, Ispahan, The Bishop,...

Anna-Lyssa Zone9
6 years ago

Summer has arrived!

Roxbourghii and Capitaine John Ingram

Ispahan

Capitaine John Ingram

Alfred de Dalmas

The Bishop (newest member of the family!)

Comments (23)

• monarda_gw
    6 years ago

Beautiful!

Anna-Lyssa Zone9 thanked monarda_gw
  • nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    6 years ago

I am overwhelmed by the wonderful accomplishments you have achieved in your garden in so short a time. I love all the colors of these roses and their abundance, especially The Bishop. Diane

Anna-Lyssa Zone9 thanked nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
  • portlandmysteryrose
    6 years ago

You are creating heaven in pink, gold and purple! Carol

Anna-Lyssa Zone9 thanked portlandmysteryrose
  • Anna-Lyssa Zone9
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Thank you! Diane, isn't The Bishop lovely? I'm so excited about growing this rose! I hope he likes his new home. I planted him in what I think is a good spot: lots of space, and shaded in the afternoon by the neighbour's cedar.

• monarda_gw
    6 years ago

Which "Bishop" do you have? I understand there have been several floating about over the years. Yours is very nice.

Anna-Lyssa Zone9 thanked monarda_gw
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    6 years ago

Lovely! You are doing a wonderful job making the world a better place.

Anna-Lyssa Zone9 thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • monarda_gw
    6 years ago

The Chestnut Rose is a marvelous creature!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    6 years ago

Simply beautiful and perfect.

Anna-Lyssa Zone9 thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • Anna-Lyssa Zone9
    Original Author
    6 years ago

monarda, I have no idea. I just went to the nursery and asked for it..... hm.... if you know how to tell them apart, I can check mine.... what are the differences? I did read that it's possible many different roses historically were called The Bishop.... and the chestnut rose is indeed a marvelous creature!! I am constantly in awe of it.

It's embarassing getting compliments from gardeners of your caliber!

• C Curry USA zone 6B
    6 years ago

I really like the color of The Bishop. It doesn't seem to be available at David Austin in the USA. Where did you buy yours?

• Anna-Lyssa Zone9
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

C Curry, I'm in Europe and got mine at a local rose nursery in Tuscany.

I was just thinking of how much R. roxburghii to me has nothing to do with chestnuts. Every time I see it called that, I sort of jump. To me this rose speaks of painted silks and exotic gardens. It's named after the botanist William Roxburgh who found it growing in a garden in Canton in the early 1800s where it had been cultivated for generations. He took it (a cutting? Did he take a cutting himself? Did they have a bunch of cuttings in this garden in Canton? Was there a granny there potting up little cuttings of their generational rose?? I wonder), anyway he took it to the botanical garden in Calcutta, and shortly thereafter to the UK....

• C Curry USA zone 6B
    6 years ago

Thanks AL. Was in Venice just before the Carnival this winter. Such a beautiful country. I loved this sunset on the water bus on the way from the airport.

Anna-Lyssa Zone9 thanked C Curry USA zone 6B
  • Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
    6 years ago

I agree with the general trend of comments: your garden looks wonderful!

The Chestnut Rose is called that because the spiny hips look like little chestnuts in their hulls. My own root plant has suffered down in the big garden for years. It's unhappy with its conditions, and I've wondered (and am still wondering) whether it will ever grow, but this year it has a longer cane than in the past, and I have hopes it may be settling in at last, and the soil it's growing in improving to the point of being able to support a decent plant.

Anna-Lyssa Zone9 thanked Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
  • swamp_rose
    6 years ago

That Roxbourghii is just amazing and yours roses are looking so healthy. A wonderful selection!

Anna-Lyssa Zone9 thanked swamp_rose
  • Anna-Lyssa Zone9
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Melissa, I hope your R. roxburghii grows into a vigorous and happy plant. I wonder what's making it unhappy. Is it in the shade?

• monarda_gw
    4 years ago

Rosa roxburghi is one that I love despite its lack of scent. It is so distinctive. I planted one at my friends' house in Maryland last year because I don't have room for it here. I hope it survives rabbits and things they have down there. I think they will be amazed if it ever gets going. You have to be so patient with roses. Some of them are like fine wines, they get better and better with time.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    4 years ago

This thread has suddenly appeared even though it's from 2017. I had often wondered why Anna-Lyssa was no longer posting after she'd made such a wonderful start on a garden with roses and many other plants. I've often wondered why she stopped posting. I hope her garden and she are prospering.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    4 years ago

I think she moved and had to leave the garden, but she was planting at her new place. I think it was an adjustment. It would be great if she posted again as she had such superb taste. monarda, I got R.Roxburghi this year to plant in my "wild' area. I saw a huge, HUGE mature specimen north of me and just had to have it. The buds are gorgeous, but the hips are crazy cool and so aptly named as they look just like chestnuts.

• monarda_gw
    4 years ago

I didn't look at the dates, silly me!

• Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    4 years ago

It's okay Monarda, I do that too. The thread is very interesting. Who can resist such beauty.
    I would love to see updates on Anna's roses. More pics will make anyone happy :)
    jin

• portlandmysteryrose
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

No sweat, Monarda! My autocorrect keeps trying to overlay "Monad" on top of "Monarda." What the heck?! I have a baby Rosa roxburghii growing in a pot in my driveway. I love its lacey foliage! It hasn't bloomed yet, but I keep paying homage in hopes it will offer just one small flower in return and produce just one small "chestnut" hip. Young Rosa roxburghii is right next to young Russelliana which is taunting it with mountains of fragrant raspberry and plum colored buds and blooms.

ANNA-LYSSA, WHERE ARE YOU?????

Carol

• monarda_gw
    4 years ago

What a coincidence. I planted roxburghii at my friends' garden right next to Russelliana. The latter has taken years to take off because of pressure from rabbits and also it is in a place that doesn't get supplemental watering. But it must have terrific roots by now. It has started to put out long canes, finally. (Over the years I had enclosed it in chicken wire and watered it with castor oil to protect it from voles!). Russelliana is a favorite of mine. Just love that rose.