Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
latcherlucy15

Cacti help

latcherlucy15
6 years ago

About a week ago I was moving my cactus and I dropped it. It came out of the pot and everything so I repotted it and waited. Now after that I've noticed that on one side of it one of the balls are dying. I'm worried that eventually the whole thing could die from it! I'm not sure if there's anything I can do for it. (This is my first cactus) so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (12)

• latcherlucy15
    Original Author
    6 years ago

okay awesome, thank you so much! do you think i could take it off like when they propagate them? or should i just leave it alone all in all?

• succulentss
    6 years ago

Moon Cacti do not propagate- the top, colorful part is a cactus grafted onto the green part(another cactus) since without the green cactus, the moon cactus could not live. It may propagate if youre lucky but it won't live long.

• latcherlucy15
    Original Author
    6 years ago

oh, okay. well good thing i didnt take it off then lol! thanks again!(:

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    6 years ago

You can take off the dried-up pup, it will look better.

Plants without any chlorophyll can't survive since they can't produce food...sometimes, the rootstock plant (the green part) either rots (if over-watered) or dries up (if kept too dry for too long) or it may even start growing some offshoots of it's own (not that often if there is a grafted plant - but if this happens, then it will outgrow the colorful, grafted plant).

• succulentss
    6 years ago

rina has said it perfectly like always! Whenever this little cactus dies, it will always be easy to find another. I tell you, these are everywhere!:)

• latcherlucy15
    Original Author
    6 years ago

okay cool thank you! hopefully it stays alive for a while longer!

• latcherlucy15
    Original Author
    6 years ago

and ive definitely noticed its a pretty popular type! im just bummed i wont be able to grow another from this plant itself!

• Liz (Virginia z6b)
    6 years ago

Look for one with a purple Gymnocalycium grafted to it. I think purple is less commonly grafted than red, yellow, orange, or pink, but can survive on its own, so you could try degrafting and growing them separately.

• latcherlucy15
    Original Author
    6 years ago

really? thats awesome! I've never seen a purple one before. I'll definitely look into that and give it a shot! ive been reading about degrafting a little bit but not a whole lot. When you take it off do you just dip the sap part in chlorophyll and sit it in the dirt? if so do you know how the watering goes?

• Liz (Virginia z6b)
    6 years ago

I've never degrafted and rooted anything, but my understanding is that after separated, the top cactus will need to be set in a dry shady place to callus for several days then placed on dry substrate to root, which can take some time. Some people use rooting hormone, but I can't comment on that since I've never used it. No water until roots form. I assume the stock plant can just be left alone to continue growing.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    6 years ago

If there is any green on the plants - even just a bit - it has much better chance of survival. Rooting hormone is not neccessary, some ppl use it. Plain red, pink or yellow seldom survive and if they happen to grow some roots, they usually live for a very short period of time. Google Gymnocalycium mihanowichii variegata and see many beautifully colored plants - these will grow on their own roots.

Few different plants are used as a rootstock; one of them is Hylocereus undatus - pitaya or dragon fruit. It grows into quite a big, and quite prickly plant. If you don't have lots of space, it could be too big...