Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peanutmcgee

Need help with long entryway styling!

peanutmcgee
6 years ago

Hi! Recently moved into a new home with a long entryway and need some styling help. I just bought this mango wood console, which I love and it is long enough to fit the entryway. Everything else you see in the picture can be rehomed.

I am looking for something to add to the walls (maybe a mirror), new light fixture and decorative touches to add to the console. Appreciate any advice. Attached are two different views of the space. Also this entryway is one of the darker spots in my own. I would like to get a different door with glass inserts at some point. The doors on the opposite side of the wall go into my office.

Please note, the wall is 16ft long and 10ft tall.

Comments (19)

• peanutmcgee
    Original Author
    6 years ago

yes definitely agree on the lamps! Thank you!

• User
    6 years ago

Great console table! Consider getting a longer runner so that it goes out to the end of the console rather than stopping halfway through. A light and airy painting would do great, or a nice long mirror flanked by lamps (some full-length mirrors can be hung horizontally rather than vertically if you are having trouble finding something long enough for the space). Also consider adding some floral arrangements, whether real or fake, to add some nature to the space.

Best of Luck,

Melissa, Interior Designer at The Architects

• peanutmcgee
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• PRO
    Corinne Natel Art Ltd
    6 years ago

Here are some original suggestions below. For more examples visit my website:
    www.corinnenatel.co.uk and feel free to email me: design@corinnenatel.co.uk

• Christy Reves
    6 years ago

I think it would add interest to paint your front door black. It you opt to get a couple buffet lamps, you might consider tightening your entry light closer to the ceiling. An oversized painting or mirror would work but I would hang it vertically and treat your tall table lamps like sconces. I agree with the suggestion of a runner. One with a fringe or tassel edge would look nice with your wonderful rustic console table.

• cpaul1
    6 years ago

You need to pick a style for your house, I can't tell from this picture what it is. And you have a scale problem .... you pick too many little things instead of picking larger items that would have impact. I would hang large art over that console instead of a mirror because that entry way is so skinny it would make you have to stand too close to a mirror. You need to update that hanging light, a chandelier needs to go in an entry way ... that current lights looks like it's for an old school dining room, not an entry. I would put two much larger lamps on either side of the console OR I would put scones on either side on the wall. I would remove that rug ... that does not match with anything. Remove all of those little items on the floor.

• PRO
    The 8th House
    6 years ago

LARGE ARTWORK WOULD DEFINITELY WORK!

I have over 200 selections of my own artwork to choose from with various genres or themes. Prints / Canvases can be ordered through my various channels from Economic Selections such as Society6, Crated and Zazzle to a more Custom Size and Higher Quality from Indiewalls. You can definitely find my portfolio for your desired prints from illustrations to photography (color and black & White). Any LARGE texts on any image is for watermark / copyright control and will not be shown on the final purchase.

• jdgail
    6 years ago

Great console but need a Little more info...........width and length of console, favorite colors, area you live in, style, room this leads to? Any favorite artists, type of art etc?

• peanutmcgee
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for the tips. The current light came with the home and had a matching (even more dated) chandelier over the dining room that we replaced so its definitely on my list to upgrade as well. I didn't realize how short the runner was, so thank you for pointing that out. It is from my last house where we had a shorter hallway. The items on the console table do not have to stay.

The console table is 94 inches long and about 4 ft tall.

I live in a coastal area of Florida, but my home is not decorated in a beachy style. I like natural woods, neutral colors, and pops of blue and green. I'm leaning more towards a mirror so we can check how we look on our way out the door.

Here is a light I found:

http://www.ballarddesigns.com/beau-orb-chandelier/lighting/indoor-lighting/chandeliers/412906?isCrossSell=true&strategy=346&gtmPageName=May%20We%20Suggest-PDP

• PRO
    Esmaili Rugs and Antiques, Inc.
    6 years ago

Hello peanutmcgee and Houzz Pros.

I love your long console - it's gorgeous! A long runner should definitely be considered. I photoshopped a few different style of runners in your space and I tried photoshopping the door black as Christy Reves suggested.

Here is a picture of an Oushak runner used in a long foyer.

Esmaili Rugs and Antiques Collaborates with Erica Evensen Design · More Info

• justbeckyg
    6 years ago
    I would not start decorating this space until you get the new door. You desperately need a new door with glass, it will change everything.
  • Kathy Yata
    6 years ago

I thought I had it bad, my entry hall is 8' long and only 42" wide, yours is twice the length and not much wider!

Love the console, the room is going to look fabulous. Just wanted to mention that due to obsessive reading here I did paint my half glazed front door black/brown to reflect color used elsewhere in the house and it looks great. The closets opening into the entry are painted wall color so the front door stands out.

I do have a large piece of art in the entry, it's over a narrow DIY shelf that doubles as a coat catcher attached to the wall. That art was given to me and so inspired me I had previous furniture out and art and the new shelf up inside a week's time. That never happens! The art looks so much better than previous arrangements did. Since the space is narrow one needs simplicity.

Since my entry has a dropped ceiling with closet doors I cannot change the recessed overhead light but guess I do need to find a much longer runner, current one is only about 3-4' long.

• PRO
    Esmaili Rugs and Antiques, Inc.
    6 years ago

justbeckyg

New door with glass?

• peanutmcgee
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Wow, Esmaili Rugs and Antiques, that is stunning! Thank you so much for taking the time to photoshop that for me. I was not sure about the black door but you have definitely sold me on the idea.

The runners you posted are amazing, I will check out your website for sure.

• PRO
    VRA Interiors, LLC
    6 years ago

Get a long piece of art, and a long runner. Or go for a mirror. It depends on your style. You can also do a long piece of art with two lamps or two sconces. You could even get a triptych to go on the wall above it.

Riverland Court: Details · More Info

Wieuca Road · More Info

• katinparadise
    6 years ago

Beautiful console. I happen to love the retro look of your light fixture but if it doesn't work for you, consider selling it. Someone who loves mid century modern will snap it up! Since your console isn't very deep, I think a slimmer lamp with a rectangular shade would look very nice.

• Mary Archer
    6 years ago
    really like the Photoshop of the glass door. might also try one of those very textural glass looks for the door, or maybe something spindly, mosaic and art deco.

like the dark door, but might not go darker than the flooring. want to keep some of the complexity of its color. possibly choose a tone to mediate between the values of the console and floor, since it seems that will stay. so maybe like a coffee brown with green tints or like a dusty gray blue of some kind.

the console will allow for a variety of looks, from rustic to Morrocan to art deco to industrial kind. but mostly you'll want to keep your lines long and thin like the space, whichever style you choose.

not an expert. I like design though.

the sconces sound good. I would really want the console to be the most interesting piece and the most brought forward. its really nice. sconces would also bring agreeable verticality without adding clutter in a tight space. these would also play nice with the mirror and artwork idea.
  • Mary Archer
    6 years ago
    if you do go art deco/modern, sconces would also be w nice nod to the past. check out Esmailis Photoshop over the ceiling light fixture. I think that style is a really nice S
    start for the space.