Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alison_pontipee

Please help me love my kitchen

Alison Pontipee
6 years ago

I absolutely hate this kitchen, but can't figure out how to give it a much needed make over without spending too much money. I know I want to paint the cabinets, but can't decide on white or stained darker? The paint on the walls is sea salt and I would like to keep that.

We will eventually get a kitchen table and we're using a dining room table in the meantime. When we do get something smaller, should we put it directly under the light fixture (which will also hopefully be changed soon too) or "swoop" the light so it's above table but closer to window.

Round table? Square?

Any and all suggestions welcome!!

Comments (33)

• User
    6 years ago

First, I'm going to ask you to remember any and all good memories of "what happened in the kitchen". That'll snap you back, at least a bit. A space is more than just its materials- memories!

Second- quantify what "too much money" means to you. Give a budget/ your priorities, and you will be amazed at how the community here can help.

• PRO
    Kitchen Magic
    6 years ago

Juanita..Your kitchen has so much potential. For a kitchen that size, we would recommend cabinet refacing. Can be any color or style. Refacing is actually an eco friendly alternative to ripping out cabinets. 75% less goes to the landfills. Usually done in 3-5 days and will save significantly over ripping out your cabinets.

Be sure to get more than 1 price quote. Refacing pricing can vary in pricing. You want a quality installer for a refacing project. Not for the DIYer.

Reinvest the savings on a new countertop and voila..the whole room is transformed. Let us know if you have any questions. Happy remodeling!

This kitchen is refaced.

AFTER

BEFORE

• Alison Pontipee
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Very true to remember! We just recently moved in, so not too many memories created yet. Hoping to make those memories in a kitchen I love!

Big changes like floors , changing out appliances and new countertops would have to wait awhile. I'm mostly budgeting for painting cabinets/new table/new light fixture. Maybe back splash if anyone has any ideas. I definitely don't like the cream color with the rest of the kitchen. No particular numbers in my head, though money is tight after moving.

Yes, the Houzz community is WONDERFUL!!

• Alison Pontipee
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I do love the refacing, but not sure we're even up to investing in that right now after all the other moving expenses. Was hoping just to paint the cabinets. Does that ever work out well?

• User
    6 years ago

Whoops- let's remember- I (Junaita902) am just a commenter. We're taking with Allison. :)

• PRO
    Kitchen Magic
    6 years ago

I don't have any experience with painted cabinets. I only know of replacing cabinets, refacing or staining, which are all long-lasting kitchen remodeling solutions.

All the best to you in your new home!

• Alison Pontipee
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Where would you put the island? In the middle? Would it replace table?

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

Alison, where is the light fixture you speak of where you want to place a table under?

All in all, you just moved... my thoughts are you save and get it done right and for now don't change much unless VERY minor. Putting a new backsplash will change once you do all you want in the kitchen and hence be a waste of money in the long run.

The kitchen is just plain, it's not a bad thing right? I would say to change out the hardware only on the cabinets for now, but you can't as you have exposed hinges... it's plain, not a bad thing! You aren't dealing with a pink tile floor and a pink and black backslash! Many others in a rush to demo the kitchen A LOT different than yours to be sure.... why not wait? Re facing is an option, but you probably want to completely do the cabinets over so the detail across the bottom is straight above the sink or no cabinet there or..... save and do it all exactly how you want it.

Focus on other areas except a table you want for the kitchen under the light I don't see :)

Where is this you want to put the table?

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

I'd get a table and call it a day for now unless you are lacking space for storage and it appears you have a lot of cabinets and a storage cabinet off to the left...

How many do you need to seat?

• User
    6 years ago

"Was hoping just to paint the cabinets. Does that ever work out well?"

It can, and it depends. Are you an expert painter? If you're not, you'll either need to pay somebody to do, or end up with a not great job that you might not be happy with.

Also- be so very careful when embarking on piecemeal remodeling- unless you have a cohesive plan that is designed and can be implemented within your budget and your schedule. A refreshed paint job will highlight (not often in a good light) out-dated hardware, appliances, countertops, curly fascia board, flooring etc. It can be very jarring, to be in a space where only one thing has been done, and all the rest looks old/outdated. Meanwhile, the new paint you just affected will be getting to the point of needing a new paint job, right near/at the point you can do the rest.

Talk about unhappy- I did it once, when I was much younger, and I finally just ripped the bandage off and did it all together. I found peace!

• Alison Pontipee
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oops! Looks like it posted the same picture over and over. Here are more.

• Alison Pontipee
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• Alison Pontipee
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• Alison Pontipee
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

If you want to do a DYI with your husband you can use General Finishes Java Gel Stain in any color that is darker than existing.... it's fairly easy as long as you do the homework... watch many videos on you tube by the manufacturer and others that have used the product. It's a bandaid for not and not necessary IMO, yet it may make you happier in the short term for 100.00 or so? Here is a Video of a person who is doing a smaller cabinet yet has done more areas with this product.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mgg_pkV2frQ

Now, how many do you need to seat in the area you are speaking of where I see no light :)

• Alison Pontipee
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I think you're completely right, I just fear it'd be YEARS before kitchen became the priority. This is the first house my husband and I bought and it was a foreclosure. Not looking to invest too much in something we are not planning to be our forever home, just some little touches that could make me enjoy it more.

• Alison Pontipee
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That's great! Thanks!! There are currently four of us. Did the other pictures come through?

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

So it looks light you are seating 4 people? The table there will be in another room and you want to place a table that is for, "eat in kitchen" and coffee etc?

I would definitely place it under the light! I am thinking round... wondering the size from standing under the light to the wall where the window is? Looks like a good amount of space, but it's a computer and a photo.....

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

Yes, they did come through..... .watch a lot of videos on General Finishes Java Gel Stain.... it's fairly easy done correctly as prepping the cabinets FULLY cleaned with a degrease and a light sanding...nothing crazy... they say, "no need to sand" often... I sand ever so lightly all over with a sanding block then clean.

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

Would this area fit a 3' round table or 4' best case?

• auntthelma
    6 years ago

The island would go about 4 feet in front of the sink. So instead of two sides of counters, you now have three. Sort of like this:

Transitional Cherry wood kitchen in Boston · More Info

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

This is 47" round

• Alison Pontipee
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I do like the island idea, just wondering if it would be too crowded with a table also in there.

I'm not sure which size would for best. Such a dunce when it comes to all this!

Thanks for all the great advice. Keep it coming!!

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

Alison, what you might do is measure from the the cabinets to the opposite wall which is where it appears the table is. Then, those here can better help if you can fit a small free standing island and a table as well. Just provide the distance and it will help.

• PRO
    Mint Design and Development LLC
    6 years ago
    Your cabinets appear to be solid wood. If so, that helps. Research DIY painting kitchen cabinets. There are many highly rated kiss on the market. Don't skimp on prep. That is THE most important part! Be sure to remove the doors. Consider applied molding to give some depth. I suggest using a high gloss black or blue black paint for richness. Replace your countertops with a laminate or engineered stone or concrete. All offer choices of colors. Replace the cabinet hardware
  • PRO
    Mint Design and Development LLC
    6 years ago
    posted too soon. cabinet hardware in San nickel. Use a round table....check out local thrift stores and paint table and chairs a matte grey or match to cabinets. I have successfully stripped and painted linoleum gloss and then coated with 2 coats of polyurethane. Try your floor in an inconspicuous place in white. Spills will be very easy to clean. Consider a rug, a small stainless movable island, and an updated ceiling fixture. I'm also enclosing a photo of a high gloss citron color if your adventurous. ps if you have room, small lamps on a counter add wonderful ambient light.
  • katinparadise
    6 years ago

Alison, congratulations on your new home. If you want to seat 4, I would do a 42" round table. A new light fixture will help as well. Since it's an eat in kitchen, I would definitely keep it more casual for both the table and light. With white appliances and a cream floor, I think you'd be better off either staining or painting the cabinets in a color other than white. You don't have a lot of countertop, so I would also consider replacing yours with a stock laminate from a big box store for about $300. You could re-use your sink and add a new faucet. If you shop wisely for a table and light fixture, I think you could totally change the look of your kitchen for about $1000.

• chiflipper
    6 years ago

What "kat" said...plus get grout re-color from Home Depot to freshen the floor. A competent carpenter can remove, or cut, that scallop over the sink. Your kitchen will look great with darker gel-stained cabinets. To repeat...it's ALL in the prep work when changing cabinet color by paint or stain.

• office8493
    6 years ago

There is nothing wrong with your cabinets, they are timeless. Yes, you can paint them with a good prep, but I would leave them and just change the countertop to a white one and if possible remove the curved valance. Get some nice statement light fixture, a big area rug and place the table under the light so you can have 6 chairs. To save money at the moment, work with what you have, just need to brighten up your space. To give your backsplash some interrest, put a mirror over the sink, something eyecatching. Good luck.

• PRO
    Michelle Yorke Interior Design LLC
    6 years ago

You're kitchen is actually quite nice. The tiles and flooring don't look in bad condition, are the cabinets and countertops in good condition? From the photos the cabinets don't look bad either. Really you could just buy a simple island and then a small table and save until you could redo the kitchen. It doesn't look bad at the moment.

Island, though yours would be smaller than this one:

Issaquah Kitchen · More Info

Get a smaller table:
    Issaquah Kitchen · More Info

• everdebz
    6 years ago

Pale Oak and why can't lowers match the floor? what about uppers?

Pale Oak OC-20 Paint · More Info

• everdebz
    6 years ago

Might think odd, but what about darker for lowers, and other uppers? like the floor and grout. If there's no pattern or much elsewhere....

The Best of Behr's 2014 Color Trends · More Info