Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kayce03

New build kitchen layout advice needed

kayce03
6 years ago

First post to the kitchen forum. I've been waiting for this for a long time. :)

Background: this is a new build, submitting for permits sometime this summer. Family is two adults and a toddler, not having anymore kids. I love to cook. The kitchen is an open galley with the great room in the front and the dining room on the right. The back wall is 320". The proposed island is 10' x 4', with 4' walkway between the back wall and island.

Nothing in the plan is set in stone except for the basic structure (room size, windows, etc). We are having the cabinets custom made so are not bound to any standard sizes.

Ideally this is what I would like to try to fit in the space. Do you think it's possible?

- Lacanche Cluny 1400 (55 5/16")
- 48" built in fridge/freezer columns

- 36" sink

- dishwasher

- 24" short wine fridge

- built in microwave and coffee center (24")

- at least 24" of pull pantry storage. We don't have a walk in pantry so this is all of our pantry storage.

- appliance garage for small appliances (blender, rice cooker, stand mixer)

- some place to put cookbooks

Also, currently our sink is in the island but would it look strange on the main wall with the stove? Would it fit? I'm not sure I love the sink in the island solution, but I don't want that back wall to be cramped.

Thank you in advance!

Comments (16)

• Buehl
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

The first thing we need is accurate measurements (or as accurate as you can be on a plan for a new build.) Since you said the "room size, windows, etc" cannot be changed, we need to know all the measurements - width of each wall/window/door/doorway and the distances b/w each wall/window/door/doorway. It would probably be easiest if you drew it up on graph paper, but labeling the above layout will work as well - just be sure the labels are dark enough and large enough to be readable.

Do you also have a picture of the entire floor so we can see how the Kitchen relates to all the rooms and how traffic will flow in, around, and through the Kitchen?

kayce03 thanked Buehl
  • Buehl
    6 years ago

Please check the following resources:

Layout Help - FAQ for asking for layout help. It has a sample measured layout as well as a description of the other information we need

Kitchen Design Best Practices/Guidelines threads - These threads explain best practices/good design guidelines for items such as work zones, aisles, island/peninsula seating, etc. These threads will help you understand questions/comments you will receive.

Read Me thread - Other, helpful information for using and navigating the Kitchens Forum. Especially useful if you are new to the Kitchens Forum!

New to Kitchens? Read Me First!

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/4306041/new-to-kitchens-read-me-first

Layout Help:

How do I ask for Layout Help and what information should I include?

Kitchen Design Best Practices/Guidelines threads:

Kitchen work zones, what are they?

Aisle widths, walkways, seating overhangs, work and landing space, and others

How do I plan for storage? Types of Storage? What to Store Where?

Ice. Water. Stone. Fire (Looking for layout help? Memorize this first)

kayce03 thanked Buehl
  • kayce03
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ok let me try this again. :)

Our floor plan is below. The house is pretty set. Our outdoor space is still in flux (will probably get a bit smaller).

The kitchen/dining wall is 320" (interior measurement). 17.5' of that is the great room width, 9' is the dining. The island is 10'. There is 4' between the island and the main line of cabinets. 4' between the island and the window wall on the left. 7.5' between the island and the living room. 7.5' from the island to the dining table.

• User
    6 years ago

So, a 150-250K kitchen in a 1M+ house? You can do MUCH better than what your draftsman has inflicted on you for the house. Kitchen too.

• cheri127
    6 years ago

I can recommend from experience that you'll be better off with the sink in the same run as the stove. The cook spends more time prepping than anything else, and that's best done at the island facing children/guests. Architects LOVE to put the clean up sink in the island for some reason!

Another thing that's nice to have is seating at the short side of the island so everyone isn't in a line. Not always possible, but it looks like you could do it at the dining room side.

kayce03 thanked cheri127
  • Buehl
    6 years ago

Here are the dimensions we need...

kayce03 thanked Buehl
  • kayce03
    Original Author
    6 years ago

cheri127 - In defense of our architect, we were the ones who originally suggested the sink be in the island. My husband likes the look, but I agree with you that it's not very practical for how people actually cook.

buehl - thank you for your patience with me! Here are the numbers (below). Looking at it, I had forgotten that the we had to make the dining room longer for structural reasons. It's now bigger than the kitchen! Would it make sense to move the kitchen there? I floated this idea to my husband and he shook his head at me. I keep making last minute changes, but better now than in the middle of construction, right?

A - 6’

B - 9'

C - 3'

D, E, F (these windows can change) - 19'

G - 26’8"

H - 4'

I - 4'

J - 5’6"

K - 16’6”

L - 31’2"

M - 19’

N - 12’2"

• rantontoo
    6 years ago

If you move kitchen to dining room, it make the walk bringing in groceries longer; and it is already a good walk from the garage.?

kayce03 thanked rantontoo
  • Buehl
    6 years ago

Personally, I prefer the configuration as-is. I like having the DR off to one side with the Family Room off of another side -- both rooms have direct access to the Kitchen.

I also like a Dining Room with windows! The way this house is arranged, you should have plenty of light in both the Dining Room and Kitchen with nice big windows on two walls in the Dining Room.
    I think that if you moved the Kitchen to the DR, you would have to reduce the size of the windows to accommodate cabinets on that wall - they'd have to be raised to 36" off the floor. You might also have to reduce the size of the sliding door.

Plus, Rantontoo has a good point - it looks like it's already going to be a hike to bring groceries in from the garage, so don't make it worse! Ideally, the garage should be closer to the Kitchen for just that reason.

A couple of more things:

Pantry...I'm really surprised this house does not have a walk-in/step-in/reach-in pantry. However, if the walls are already final, I guess it would be difficult to fix that oversight. Would you be willing to take some of the window-less wall that spans the Kitchen & Dining Room for a reach-in pantry? They're so much more useful than pantry cabinets - and a lot less expensive! Hmmm...that would increase the distance you have to walk to get groceries to the pantry...but, I'd consider it a fair tradeoff.

Mudrooom + Laundry Room...First, your "Mudroom" isn't really useful in it's current location, it should be closer to the garage - in fact it really should be just off the garage. Second, if you intend your Mudroom to be used by anyone other than immediate family, then it's not a good idea to put your Laundry Room in the same location - having guests, even close friends and other family members, walk past your dirty (and clean) laundry is not pleasant. I like that the Laundry Room is close to the Master Bedroom/Bathroom, but not combined with a "public" Mudroom, if it is "public".

kayce03 thanked Buehl
  • Buehl
    6 years ago

OK - here's a blank slate...layout TBD! I'll work on a layout next, but in case anyone else wants to also work on it, I'm posting the "blank slate".

(1 square = 6" x 6")

kayce03 thanked Buehl
  • kayce03
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you again, buehl!

I can see that the garage placement seems strange to folks, but it really makes sense for how we live and spinning it off the house allowed us to maximize our views and southern exposure. This will actually be our first house with a garage! They're not super common here. Likewise, neither are mudrooms. What we have labeled as "mudroom" really is more for storage and dumping sandy clothes (we're in Hawai`i).

Pantry - our earlier drafts had a walk-in pantry! I asked to give that space back to the master. It's the smaller closet. Pardon my ignorance, but what's the difference between a reach-in and cabinets? We had a walk-in a couple of houses ago, and I found that it ended up being a disorganized dumping ground. Our last house had a cabinet with pull outs and I liked that much better. I can see all the things in the back!

The more I stare at this, the more I think it's not going to be possible to move the sink out of the island. Would it be strange to have it offset? My husband dislikes the asymettry.

From my original post, I think we can get rid of the 24" cabinet for microwave and coffee.

• Buehl
    6 years ago

You do realize that the Cluny range + refrigerator/freezer columns will take up over 8'9" (105") of space, right? That's a lot of space to devote to just two appliances (3 if you count the Refrigerator & Freezer as separate) - especially since you don't have that big a house (only 2700 sq ft).

55.5" + 24" + 2" + 24" = 105.5"

(Alcove space needed for a Cluny 1400 is 55.5".

2" filler b/w refrigerator & freezer column sometimes needed.)

Plus, you want several other appliances - all of which will take away from your available cabinet storage space! Not all things store well in a pantry - e.g., your pots & pans, mixing bowls, etc.

Do you really need a 55+" range?

Your layout shows a 48" range, not 55". While even 48" is wide, I think it would be better than 55+".

I'm trying to figure out how to give you everything you asked for in the available space!

If you put your sink in the island, it would much better to offset it. Centering it would reduce your prep space and, in effect, waste space.

Something else to consider...putting your Cleanup Zone in the island puts your dirty dishes front & center and on display for all to see. Personally, I would not want to be highlighting my dirty dishes!

However, if it's b/w the sink and range, it's better to have the sink in the island.

Ideally, I would have a prep sink in the island and the cleanup sink and range on the wall.

kayce03 thanked Buehl
  • kayce03
    Original Author
    6 years ago

buehl - I know you're right. What if I shrink the range down to the Savigny? It's 43 1/2". You can also eliminate the bookshelf space.

• kayce03
    Original Author
    6 years ago

buehl - this is amazing. I have to process it all. Thank you so much!

• Buehl
    6 years ago

(Refresh the page - I added additional information.)

kayce03 thanked Buehl