Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurie2002

Please help me pick a colour scheme! I have to finalize colour this week.

Laurie P
10 years ago
We bought this cottage and we have a contractor doing some work. My husband doesn't want me to paint the trim so I need to come up with a colour scheme that will brighten the room and make the trim look good. I am going to paint the kitchen cupboards as well so your opinion on that would be appreciated too. I bought this buffet for the cottage as well and I want it too look awesome in the space.

Comments (20)

• PRO
    Rockin' Fine Finish
    10 years ago
    what colors are you leaning towards?
  • Laurie P
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I wanted to go with a white colour (White Dove) but my husband feels the room will be too blank plus we want to rent the cottage so it might show too many handprints and such. I just want the space to look fresh and bright. I don't like wood trim to start with and the current colour of walls and kithcen cabinets doesn't do anything to improve the look. I was going to paint the trim on the half wall shown in pic because I was going to sit the buffet in front of it. I thought the white would look nice against it.
    Any alternate colour combinations would be greatly appreciated because I am fixated on white but maybe there is a better option. We are finishing the downstairs level and the colours down there are going to be white and grey.
    Thank you
  • Laurie P
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here is another picture showing the half wall I want to paint the trim completely white to be a backdrop for the buffet. Do you think the trim would look weird in this area of the room when the rest are stained wood?
  • Ed
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Hi Laurie, here are some color ideas. Sherwin-Williams
    1. 0045 Antiquarian Brown
    2. 7520 Plantation Brown
    3. 0072 Deep Maroon
    4. 6943 Intense Teal
  • Ed
    10 years ago
    Hi Laurie, a few more -- Sherwin-Williams
    1. 6153 Protégé Bronze
    2. 2815 Renwick Olive
    3. 6424 Tansy Green
  • Ed
    10 years ago
    Hi Laurie, some fun colors, just to throw them out there. Sherwin-Williams --
    1. 6865 Gypsy Red
    2. 6640 Tangerine
  • Ed
    10 years ago
    Sherwin-Williams --
    1. 6076 Turkish Coffee
    2. 7075 Web Gray
  • PRO
    Charle' Sims
    10 years ago
    ,in
  • PRO
    All 4 Show, LLC
    10 years ago
    I think Ed's idea of the Protege Bronze is a great idea...good luck! :)
  • jennicon
    10 years ago
    I love the buffet so any colour that marries well with that would be good. In the buffet photo, the colour of the cupboard next to it is lovely too. Or else stay with the colours you have already chosen for upstairs and maybe just change either trim or wall colour either one shade lighter or darker. That way there is a feeling of similar continuity throughout the house. Good luck!
  • Gg Hardy
    10 years ago
    I think a deep yellow wall and white kitchen cupboards would go well with the black kitchen counter. Yellow, black and white are a great combo.
  • katsandogs
    10 years ago
    Agree with Ed's Protege Bronze. Really compliments that tone of wood trim.
  • Laurie P
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Based on some of the suggestions provided I am leaning towards carrying some of the grey upstairs as well. I will play with some colours and see what you think. Thanks again!
  • claire Hamill
    9 years ago
    I think the buffet would look better against the browns,plantation or turkish coffee.I don't think the green in the "bronze" colour paint would complement the blue of the buffet
  • PRO
    Rebecca Mitchell Interiors
    9 years ago
    Glad to hear you are considering light grey. A palette of wood, white and grey is the best way to get the vibe I think you want. Hope you are painting the kitchen cabinets white. With pops of colour like your gorgeous robin's egg sideboard and you will get the cottage you want (and your husband too). Good luck from Montreal (if you're not too far I might be interested in renting it!).
  • claire Hamill
    9 years ago
    oh I forgot you were painting the cupboards too.In that case grey would probably be a good choice it's just that I hate grey! It's so depressing! Though it's very "in" at the moment.What is the light like? if you get a lot of snow I think grey would be awful! unless you keep the cupboards as they are,then the warmth of the wood would probably offset it
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    Old post.......
  • claire Hamill
    9 years ago
    sounds lovely Reilly
  • glschisler
    9 years ago
    I like the Web Gray