Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caroline_mccool

Pendant lights for 9 ft. island?

Caroline McCool
6 years ago

I'm looking for help deciding on what size and how many pendant lights to put above a 9 foot island. (I've found lots of good info and formulas here for correct spacing once I make those decisions.) If I go with three lights, is it best to stay between 13"-18" for the size of the fixtures? If I do 2 lights, should they be at least 20" each? Thanks for any pointers!

Comments (83)

• cwilley84
    4 years ago

Caroline, We have a 108" island that we are going to do 3 pendants over. Can you tell me how much spacing is between each pendant where the electrical is on the ceiling? Thank you!

• Cheryl Hannebauer
    4 years ago

go look at my page idea books new build gabe, we did 3 lights on our 110 island

• cwilley84
    4 years ago

Hi Cheryl, Thanks for the idea. It looked good. How far apart diid you space your electrical on the ceiling for the pendants?

• Cheryl Hannebauer
    4 years ago

Our pendants are 40 inches apart, pretty sure the electricians consulted with hubby on the spacing, as hubby is a professional engineer and he worked along side of the crew daily.

• Jill M.
    4 years ago

Thank you! This thread has been so beyond helpful. I agree with Caroline - pendants are a really tough decision for our 115"'x46" island. Thanks everyone for the great ideas! So glad a friend recommended this site :-)

• coliver2s
    4 years ago

help! We are building a house and doing a 9 ft 6 inch island. I have the pendants I want but am torn between 2 or 3. I want a statement....and our ceilings are 11 feet tall. These pendants are 24 inches tall and 16 inches wide.

• bmartinelli
    4 years ago

What an amazing thread! Simply thrilled to read the advice and comments from the experts. Thank you for so generously sharing your expertise.

• Wendy Williams
    4 years ago

This thread has been incredibly helpful figuring out what to do with my 10 ft x 51 island. I am I think I am going to go with 3 pendants between 12-16 inches in diameter. Suggestions on high above appreciated. It's tricky when you have to figure out lighting layout before the walls go in. I would love some advice about led lighting layout - we plan to install LED dimmable Ultra thin 6" in a soft white in the 9 ft ceiling. I am not sure how many I should use and how to plan around pendants and dining lighting. It's an open floor plan with kitchen, dining, sitting room and living room with fireplace. Any suggestions welcome!

• PRO
    Geraghty and Associates
    4 years ago

If you are considering recessed downlight there are a few guidelines that you might want to think about...

1. Ensure that there is even light distribution- smaller lights at a 4' on centre pattern works best

( even if you have additional pendant lights - the downlight can layer in between to optimize even distribution)

2. It is recommended to start your lighting grid close to the perimeter walls (12-16") and work towards the centre- this way you you will avoid shadow patches on the upper wall and enhance paint colour and drapery treatments.

3. Don't be afraid that there are too many fixtures- by choosing smaller housings and white trim kits- they pretty much disappear as they blend into the white ceiling...

4. Ensure all light fixtures have bulbs that are around 2700K (colour temperature close to candle light and natural flame temperatures - as they have great health benefits), ensure that the lamps are dimmable so that they do not change colour temperature as they are being dimmed.

5. Don't forget under-cabinet lighting and any in-cabinet lighting to enhance the functionality...

• Wendy
    4 years ago

Thank you! This is very helpful! We are definitely doing under counter lighting and additional smaller coordinating pendant over the sink and in the pantry and plan to do dimmable recessed throughout the space. I was thinking that the recessed and three pendant areas (pantry, sink, island) should all be on separate switches, but I am also trying to find a happy medium between running here and there to turn it all on If you wanted to. Your pictures are very helpful. Your work is beautiful- lucky clients!

• Wendy
    4 years ago

Secondary question - is there a point where you have too many pendants? It’s a large open concept and I plan to do a hanging fixture over and 6-8 dining table which will run perpendicular to the 10 ft island. i was also considering 3 in the foyer - it has a craftsmans feel - it will have slatted wood ceiling in the foyer with an open rail staircase with three pendants then a beam divides through ceiling as it opens into open concept area. Too much? I wanted something a bit magical as you walk through the door.

• Cheryl Hannebauer
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

https://www.houzz.com/user/wendy-innh

Go look at my page, under idea books, New Build/Gabe, we did the same pendant light in the foyer as the island (3), we have not settled on the DR fixture yet, but if hubby gets his way it will be a grouping above the dinning room table>> we have Douglas Fir ceilings..

• PRO
    Geraghty and Associates
    4 years ago

The goal is to avoid competing focal points - consider the intersecting axes of your floor plan, and try to establish a logical hierarchy to facilitate the sense of flow... Think of how your eye is drawn to the focal point over the dining table and how it relates to other spaces. The ideal situation would be to chart the regulating lines of the floor plan that drive the order of flow.. see attached diagrams... (also consider a lighting control panel that can set moods according to which light fixtures are illuminated and how much- a few settings can be programmed so that you just choose setting 1,2 or 3 etc.)

• Wendy
    4 years ago

Thanks to both of you for your input and suggestions. we are still at studs right now and trying to layout lighting has been challenging. I will post pics in a month or two when we have plaster board and start installing lights!

• Jeanette McMahon
    4 years ago

Jeanette

hi Caroline Can you tell me what your countertops are?

• Caroline McCool
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi Jeanette, Our island is Carrara Marble and our perimeter is Quartz...I forget the exact color, but it’s a dark gray.

• Jeanette McMahon
    4 years ago

thank you..I keep looking at marble and everyone tells me I can't do it its will scratch and be porous. do you have any problems with it

• cougirl02
    4 years ago

We ended up doing 2 24” on our 116.5” island. I’m so happy with the outcome. And Jeanette everyone told me not to do marble either (I’m married to the granite guy) and I couldn’t be happier with my counters. Do they etch yes but one a couple years they’ll just be worn and loved and you can’t beat the feel and look of marble!

• Caroline McCool
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Cougirl02, Your kitchen is GORGEOUS, and the size of the lights is perfect!

Jeanette, I agree with Cougirl.....we do have some etches (no stains), but I would still choose marble again. I feel like the etches will blend more over time and add character/patina. It doesn’t bother me like I thought it would. Our marble is honed, and that helps a ton. I would definitely not put polished marble in the kitchen, so that would be my only advice.

• Graper Anne
    4 years ago

@Caroline McCool, We love the backsplash you chose in your kitchen. . By any chance, would you happen to still have the name of it and the manufacturer? I know it’s been a while since you posted, so I’m crossing my fingers you get this and can help! Thank you. Janice and Steve Verace

• Caroline McCool
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Graper Anne, thank you so much!! I don’t have the manufacturer name, but it is a polished Carrara marble 4 x 8 subway tile. I hope that helps!

• Wendy Satikas
    3 years ago

Hi there everyone!! Thank you so much for this priceless tool!! I’m really torn. We are building a house with a 9” island. I have a beautiful ranghood that I don’t want to compete with but I also love my pendants. They are 13’ and gorgeous. The island is centered up with the hood so it will be directly in the middle of it. I do have 9”4” ceilings so I don’t know if that matters but if I do 3 lights one will hang in the middle of the range hood. However they are glass but not entirely see through. I really don’t know what to do because once it’s done it’s done. Here are the pendants.

• cougirl02
    3 years ago

If you have a range hood that you want as the focal I would personally do two larger ones. 3, even if they are glass will compete for the attention and possibly look to busy depending on what the hood looks like. Just my opinion though!

• Wendy Satikas
    3 years ago

I think so too!! I really appreciate it!!

• cgrant50
    3 years ago

Wendy Satikas I love (LOVE) the pendants! Is your kitchen done yet? If so, please post some pictures. I'm planning on a white kitchen with pewter glazed beadboard on the uppers. We are in the process now of gutting kitchen. My island is going to be 10' long, I need to look at drawings again to see where hood vent will be. Also wondering if hood vent is in middle of island how you walk into your kitchen. My kitchen will be single wall and I guess I need to figure out where the focal point will be. thanks!

• Shirley William
    3 years ago

@Geraghty and Associates, I realized it’s been sometime since this posting however, can you tell me where the pendants from the island with 3 pendants came from? Also I have a 9’ island with 8’ ceiling do you think 3 lights 10 »x 10 » are are ok?

• markiehall
    3 years ago

question for Geraghty and Associates.....

I have an island that is 60x122 so over 10 feet long. This is the fixture we have chosen. Should I do three that are 18" high x 13.25" wide or should I do 2 that are 22" high x 16" wide? I am really torn. It is not blocking my hood as its in a different position. Your advice would be wonderful.

• PRO
    Geraghty and Associates
    3 years ago

Hope this helps...

• PRO
  • Jenny Ayala
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

HELP PLEASE!

I have a 118”x38” of island in my kitchen, im looking at pendants and really likd these, size H18”x 17.5w, are they too big??

thank you. also here is a pic of my counter stone and possible accent wall above my range top…remaining backsplash will be only white siliar color to accent wall but without any designs.

• Rhonda F.
    2 years ago

Love this thread. Looking for some quick help here. In my remodel, I will have a 9 x 5 island with White Spring granite and I’m trying to decide between 2 and 3 of these island pendants. They are 16” wide.

I’ve read so many posts and websites about how to space them out and I’m torn between 2 and 3. I’m afraid 3 will be too much and not enough space between them BUT I like the look of 3 more than just 2.

My island will have nothing on it (no sink, etc).

Here are pics to help (chandelier in pic of kitchen is being removed). Kitchen cabinets will be white. Island will be espresso stained to highlight the warmth in the granite.

Is three 16” pendants too much for 108” of length?

• tierney didier
    2 years ago

Hello! Our island is 60 x 108 and I have two pendents 24.5" long by 17" wide. There will be a sink in the island. Do we center the pendents on the width at 30"? My husband thinks they should be closer to the front of the island where the counter stools are?

Also, at what points should I hang the pendants on the length? Is it 28" in on each side?

Thank you so much to whoever responds!

• PRO
    Geraghty and Associates
    2 years ago

Sounds like a good plan, 27" from edge of counter to center of pendant each end of the island and centered on 30" front to back.

I always consider additional recessed downlights 15" each side of pendants (front to back)

This results in great tasklighting for both food prep and island seating tasks.

Probably use 3 recessed downlights at 27" off each end and one in the center, (two rows, one in front of pendants and one behind)...

• PRO
    Geraghty and Associates
    2 years ago

Kitchen Revival · More Info

• tierney didier
    2 years ago

Thank you! This is very helpful. I wanted to make sure the recessed lights were not on top of the pendants - 15" seems like a perfect distancerange. Thank you again!

• Erin Bedell
    2 years ago

Hello!

We have a 99" x 61.5" Island in our kitchen remodel project.

We've decided on the following pendants and want to keep it to 2 pendants instead of 3.

Actual Pendant Size: 17"Hx14"Wx14"D each

https://www.shadesoflight.com/products/urban-beaker-pendant?color=Brushed+Brass+Clear+Glass&via=57e1330169702d78ae0000a5%2C57e133ea69702d78ae0002d1

Can someone please help advise pendant placement and spacing measurements over our island? Our electrician is looking for us to specify exactly without him making any recommendations. We do want them centered in the middle of the island as it will be used as a cooktop and for seating.

Many thanks!

• Todd Smith
    2 years ago

I have a curve ball to throw that no one has mentioned. We have a 4’x9’ island with a 30” sink in the middle. I want 3 pendants that are 15” diameter and my wife wants 2. Either one will work and look fine, HOWEVER, our ceilings are 12’ high! Because of the ceiling height, I’m thinking we NEED 3. Thoughts?

• PRO
    Geraghty and Associates
    2 years ago

Hi Todd, with 12' ceilings you have a large volume of space above the island, 3 pendants would probably be better to bridge this void and crate more visual balance.

• Lisa Dubberke
    2 years ago

I have a 9.5' x 5 ' (before granite) and 10 foot ceilings. Will 3 18" pendants work? There is no sink or stove on the island.

• Lanie Lee
    2 years ago

Hi everyone! I will be installing a 9.5' x 5' island with a 33" sink in the middle. I really like this and was thinking of getting three, but are they too small for the island? My range is slightly offset to the right of island so it will likely be blocked by the pendant anyway. Thanks in advance for the advice!

• Rachel
    2 years ago

I've been in my new build for just over a year and went through this decision making process. Initially, I thought I wanted three. The island is 9' x 4'. But then I realized one would visually be right in front of the stainless hood, so I decided on two which frame the hood. If you do two, of course you can select larger fixtures. Sorry, things are messy in this photo.

• Avani Patel
    2 years ago

My island is also 9x5 feet. I also want to have two pendants visually flanking the hood. But what size pendant is too small and what size is too big? I’m thinking 18in would be good. But I’ce noticed some designers using 20-24inch! Do I need something that big?

• Rachel
    2 years ago

A lot depends on your own style. In my pic above, I selected a pendant that is about 14". I probably could have gone the next size larger (17") but since they were pricey, I opted for the smaller. Personally, I am not a fan of the huge pendants. I think they are a reaction to the tiny, 6" fixtures that were popular 20 years ago. Also, a lot depends on the style of light fixture. If you select something more open and airy looking you can probably go larger. Also consider what other ceiling fixtures do you have in the space? How dominant do you want these to be?

• Michelle Linden
    2 years ago

Cougirl02... Could you post any more pics of your island/lights?  I have a 132" island, and want to stick to 2 pendants.

• PRO
    Geraghty and Associates
    2 years ago

Hi Michelle, I hope your kitchen planning is going well. I will ppost a couple of more recent pics below...

Keep in mind regulating line throughout the plan...

• Alyssa Lane
    last year

I could really use some help deciding on pendants. Our island will be 116"x54" and our ceilings are 8 ft high. We are doing a custom range hood so ideally I'd only like 2 pendants so that it's not competing visually. I've been told by one source I should do three smaller clear/glass pendants since I have lower ceilings but that's just not what I want aesthetically. My island will be large so I want to try and get away with two larger pendants, but don't want them to look too overbearing either. What's the largest size pendants I can get away with- that will both give off enough light, flank each side of my range hood, and be aesthetically pleasing? The ones I like come in 16" and 20". My gut says two 16" but want to make sure that's enough light for a 9 1/2 foot island...

Thank you!

• Abigail Thompson
    last year

Im looking for help in figuring out what size pendants for our 9Ft island. We know we want two on either side of the range hood. Our ceilings are 15.5 ft high and vaulted. Below are the plans…

• Lisa Dubberke
    last year

I have a 10ft x 5ft Island with 10 ft ceiling.
    We went with 3 18" pendants & I'm glad I did. I don't have a sink on the island so I think that helped my decision as well.

• cwilley84
    last year

We have a 9’x4’ island and sink in middle and we have 3 pendants that are 11.5 in from pottery barn. Flynn recycled glass pendant. If you were doing two a larger size like the 17” ones would be better.

• Wabanang Kuczek
    last month

We are building a house with an 11 foot (136 inches) x 5.5 foot (64 inches) kitchen island. We choose a continuous linear pendant, 56 inches, and we did not see anything larger than 56" that we really like. Our house designer thinks that the length of the pendant would look okay, however, it seems that for a good proportion most recommendations advise 2/3 or 3/4 of the island length for a linear pendant. Would appreciate your comments.