Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nabeyaki7

red or blue armchair?

Hello Kitty
6 years ago

I'm looking to replace my current armchair (aka my cat's chair) now that we've settled in our condo for a year. I bought that swivel chair as a temporary chair for my cat. I'm not looking for a forever chair since our cat is still alive, and he will be the primary inhabitant using that chair. But it's time to expand the palette a little bit. Partner and I disagree on red (like a bright cayenne pepper red) vs blue (like a cerulean). We will want a fabric with texture and something curvy like an egg chair. I'm still in the contemplative stage, not a rush. Outside the window, there is a lot of blue (sky, Amazon headquarters #2, lake), some lines of yellow/orange/fuschia (Amazon HQ #1), and random buildings.

Current chair:

current swivel chair · More Info

cat lounging · More Info

current swivel chair · More Info

Initial thoughts/doodling stage:

possible armchair color · More Info

possible swivel/arm chair color · More Info

Comments (34)

• PRO
    Jodie White Designs
    6 years ago

Vivian Leisure Chair, Cherry Red · More Info
    Second Choice

Hello Kitty thanked Jodie White Designs
  • Hello Kitty
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Jodie, I literally laughed out loud when I saw the lips lounger. I have a vase with lips by the entry, though a lot less fun. Thanks again!

Entry cabinet from CB2. · More Info

• jbtanyderi
    6 years ago
    That coffees table really limits access. Another end table would serve the purpose better. A small pouf or ottoman would work well there.
  • User
    6 years ago

Def red. U could use some color there. Although I don't know about the lip chair. lol but it would be a conversation piece. :).

• jbtanyderi
    6 years ago
    Sorry, I failed to notice the second end table. The lamps could be upscaled. Is there going to be any form of window treatment. It strikes me that this is a high fade area. Pick a red or a blue that will go well with the sofa colour so that you can co-ordinate the chair and the sofas.
  • PRO
    Carol Jean
    6 years ago
    I could see a beautiful textured blue pillow
  • Hello Kitty
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

jbtanyderi - solar shades are housed in ceiling recesses around the perimeter of the condo. If you look closely you can see part of the rolls on the top edge of the windows.

• Rachele Kanigel
    6 years ago

Definitely go for the red. Fun!

• calidesign
    6 years ago

I would get a blue chair, to keep the focus on the great view and keep the space looking subtle and sophisticated. The red imo is too jarring.

• PRO
    Jodie White Designs
    6 years ago

I have similar

• PRO
    DesignUnplugged llc
    6 years ago

Your kitten will really pop as an accent on the red : )

Seriously, red pops the painting by contrasting the wrap over the woman's shoulder and relating to the head wrap. It also creates a point of interest better than blue will against the outdoor elements.

If it feels off balanced once it's in, add a low red bowl or other accent on the coffee table, or a pillow or two on the sofa with some red in them or highly textured all red.

Hello Kitty thanked DesignUnplugged llc
  • Hello Kitty
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I agree, the cat will be a great accessory for a red chair! :-) My partner thinks we should just stick with something simple like a shade of blue to pull in the color from the outside and the blues we already have on the wall. Something understated like calidesign mentioned. I can see that perspective, but when I look at it on my simulation, I just feel like a pop of red will be so much fun. I can always balance it out with a few red accents on the sofa and side tables if it feels to imbalanced. PS. the lady has a sister and she has a blue head wrap!

Current:

6pm light in Seattle · More Info

red doodles:

New armchair · More Info

blue doodles

New armchair · More Info

New armchair · More Info
    New armchair · More Info

• PRO
    DesignUnplugged llc
    6 years ago

Not sure how to explain it to your partner. Hope you win. Red is the right answer, blue is more of the same, so close to black and the outdoors change minute to minute hard to capture a coordinate. Just need that pop. Perhaps a blue throw or small lumbar pillow for kitty will strike harmony in the household. If your partner wins, reverse that and still add red accents and a throw on the chair.

• Hello Kitty
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Well, I put in all the work in planning, and I'm the more particular (or obsessive) of the two. So in the end, I usually make the final decision. I just have to remind him long enough until he comes to the correct conclusion.
  • Hello Kitty
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Red, or I would consider a Pedro Friedeberg knock off in gold/copper or teak (like the one from Anthropologie).

New armchair · More Info

Lenny Kravitz Paris Apartment, Paris · More Info

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

• Hello Kitty
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    The Swan chair comes in red as well. :-) I'd have to pick a non-wool option as wool makes my skin itch.
  • kcccrn *
    6 years ago
    If you go blue, I like the darker shade in #2 above
  • PRO
    DesignUnplugged llc
    6 years ago

Porter's suggestion works better, in red of course, if you want to have a level of comfort sitting in it and it provides a break from the orthogonal details on the rest of your furniture. Nice softening related to the women in your paintings as well. If it will stand out in color, it should stand out in form too. As for the Anthropologie option, LOVE IT, but only if you're going for a Dr. Evil mini me moment when the cat is sitting in it. bwaaaahahahah with pinkie to lips. Of course if you get itchy sitting in it the fingers may come in handy for a scratch..... I'm done. Do save it in your favorites and use it as a sculptural piece at another time. It's awesome and suits your taste in art well. Now back to Porter and the better choice for a chair : )

• sm m
    6 years ago
    My vote is blue!!
  • Porter Edun
    6 years ago

here kitty kitty.... I have two

Red/blue? I think as I said it's a win win

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

not sure exactly why my eye likes the slightly more linear chair such as Jodie White's above or the last one posted...

• Hello Kitty
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Yep, agreed about the swan chair. Hence I prefaced in the original post I wanted something curvy like the Arnes Jacobsen egg chair (or swan). We've actually tried sitting in both, and like the egg a little better though the swan is better scaled for the space. The standard fabric is a wool so that will have to change. Both are great options.

As an aside, SF MoMA had a midcentury furniture exhibition a few months ago and SFO had a number of MCM pieces all over their terminals. They featured swan chairs in grey. Truly lovely!
  • Hello Kitty
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Porter, thanks. For me, I respond a little more to curvy lines in that spot, only to break up the preponderance of rectangles in that space. If I end up with a linear piece, I'll probably end up adding a round pillow or something to tie the circle theme back in.
  • Hello Kitty
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks guys. My cat did a number on the swivel chair a few months ago...so I decided to use a temporary chair. I made the executive decision on the Eames LCW plywood lounge chair in palisander because my cat doesn't scratch non-fabric surfaces. It'll have to do until the cat is no longer with us. So it's neither red nor blue for the time being.

• PRO
    DesignUnplugged llc
    6 years ago

Hope you have many years before you revisit the color selection, as in long live the cat. You can never go wrong with a classic. Good choice.

• Hello Kitty
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks. Except for the long live the cat part. haha.

• pat1250
    6 years ago
    Love your home. Wonderful art!
  • DH
    6 years ago
    you have a lovely condo. it makes me nostalgic for fond memories of my past
  • PRO
    Tare It Up!!!
    6 years ago
    red!!!!
  • Porter Edun
    6 years ago

Beautiful home.... I love that Fiddle Fig, is it real or faux? I can't keep one alive!

• Hello Kitty
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Porter. It's a real Fiddle Leaf Fig. I purchased it in June. I'm surprised it hasn't dropped leaves (or worse) yet. I have heard discouraging stories about Fiddle Leaf Figs in the Pacific Northwest. I'm going out of the country for two weeks and haven't asked the housekeeper or cat sitter to water it (afraid of over-watering), so we'll see what happens! I figure a few days of drying out isn't going to be too terrible. Here's when I bought it, and this is now...it has grown quite a bit. The new leaves are gigantic!

6 months ago...

Two days ago...