Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldrosarian

I need more single or semi singles

oldrosarian
6 years ago

I really prefer the overstuffed, fragrant type of rose flower. But I need some singles or what I call semi singles for the hummingbirds and bumble bees. Any suggestions?

Here are the 10 repeat singles I have already, I didn't include species.

MUTABILIS

CITY OF YORK

MEG

SOARING SPIRITS

BIRTHDAY GIRL

FESTIVAL FANFARE

ODENSE CITY

MUNCHEN

SPARRIESHOOP

CELINE DELBARD

Comments (44)

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    6 years ago

Occhi de Fata, Liola, and Moonlight are my three new singles. The ones I have and can heartily recommend are Ballerina both pink and red, Dainty Bess, Morden Sunrise, and Dortmund. I would love to have Sparrieshoop.

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    6 years ago

Flower Girl for its extraordinarily beautiful shape,health and continued flowering.

It's not everyones cup of tea but for scent that can waft 25 feet or more Lemon Fizz. I do not know if it needs humidity or not. It is always humid here so perhaps that helps carry her scent this I do not know.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    6 years ago

Wow great looking roses oldrosarian!

Only single/semi I have here is own root "Miracle on the Hudson"... So far really disease resistant without spraying and its blooming nicely here in its second season...The blooms in the pic below were 3 3/4"... Blooms on bush right now are a bit smaller at around 3"...

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    6 years ago

I second Morden Sunrise, Ballerina, and Dainty Bess. Diane

Ballerina, not fully opened in this photo, but this morning she was, and the bees were all over her.

Morden Sunrise

Dainty Bess

• K S
    6 years ago

I just met the Hybrid Musks Cornelia and Penelope in the flesh this weekend, and I am smitten. They smell lovely, and both show off their stamens for the bees. If only I had more space…

• seil zone 6b MI
    6 years ago

Due get yourself a Dainty Bess. She's gorgeous! I also recommend Golden Wings and Sally Holmes.

• barbarag_happy
    6 years ago

Lemon Fizz (Kordes) and Peachy Keen (Radler) are both absolutely beautiful--foliage AND blooms-- in hot, humid SE Virginia. Lemon Fizz pops up to show beautiful stamens surrounded by luminous clear bright yellow petals. Peachy Keen is very subtle, with form and color both changing as the bloom opens.

Hey, where are you Oldrosarian?

• countrygirlsc, Upstate SC
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

My favorite is Carefree Sunshine, non-fading yellow. I also love Flamingo, the hybrid rugosa. The blooms are big and look like a hibiscus. My Grimaldi is wonderful even though it is small. the one that blooms the most is Pink Home Run, and a new favorite is Mrs Oakley Fisher. I also have Heideroslein, whose blooms look sort of like crinkly dogwood blooms.

About Festival Fanfare, I had two of in pots that I got from a local nursery, took years to bloom and then they were solid light pink. So sad, would still love to have it.

• erasmus_gw
    6 years ago

I hear that International Tribune can be a strong growing plant. Mine is a short grower but has proven tough through the years, toughing it out in a small pot. I like it a lot for its vivid

color, the white in the centers, and rebloom. Well, I guess it's a semi-double.

Lyda Rose is new to me and very pretty. Rosendorf Sparrieshoop can be gorgeous. I got a cutting from Carla, who had a huge, healthy plant of it. Just got mine in the ground after all these years.

I especially like Meg in pics above and Odense City. And Dainty Bess. Here's Orangeaid ..it probably glows in the dark:

• zack_lau z6 CT ARS Consulting Rosarian
    6 years ago

I won two trophies at the CT Rose Show this year with Playboy. In 2008 I won Best of Show with Dainty Bess. I also grow Betty Boop and Golden Wings.

6 years ago

I went out to try for a few photos but its very sunny out there. Forgot two of my favorites for my northern zone anyway. All The Rage a beautiful mix of colors and Fire Opal. Not great pics but you'll get the idea.

Lyda and Dainty Bess were 2 of my all time favorite rose that sadly did not do well for me here.

All The Rage
    Fire Opal

• oldrosarian
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The good news is that I can get some of your suggestions from Hortico and some I can't. Wonderful to live in the States when you love roses. Palatine and Hortico are all Canadians can deal with.

• enchantedrosez5bma
    6 years ago

At the risk of offending, haha, the Knockout Rose 'Peachy Keen Rose' is gorgeous and has a lovely light scent. The pictures at Star Roses don't do it justice.

Sharon

• enchantedrosez5bma
    6 years ago

I had Darlow's Enigma before. It smelled wonderful, bloomed almost continuously and was disease free. But it did get huge and has wicked thorns. But what a sweet flower and lovely scent.

• bethnorcal9
    6 years ago

Here's some of mine..

BE-BOP - A good grower and bloomer... 3-4ft x 5-6ft wide, likes to spread.. not sure who might still carry it tho...

BETTY BOOP - she's a goodie...

BLUE FOR YOU - one of my favorite roses! It was loaded with blooms this yr. (this is from last yr)

CITRUS SPLASH - a crazy bloomer and low-growing spreader... J&P still was carrying it last yr, not sure if they have it now or not...

FIRED UP - OMG this pic is from last yr... this yr it went nuts! 5ft tall and 3-4ft wide with tons of blooms...

FORTUNA VIGOROSA - this was a mismarked one from Hortico, but it's a nice sorta mini-sized single that blooms pretty well...

NICOLE - no words needed for this one...

PAUL ECKE JR - a good taller red one.. came from Armstrongs, but I believe somebody else has it too... maybe RVR or RU???

RHAPSODY IN BLUE - love it! THE purplest rose out there..

THE IMPOSTER - Love this one! I dunno if it's still in circulation tho...

I'm sure there's others I could add... (I'm at work tho, so don't have my full picture files)

• HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada
    6 years ago

The ones already listed are great! Did not realize how many there are. Here's a few more

Fourth of july is pretty colourful

Oso easy paprika - fairly compact

Oscar Peterson

Morden sunrise

6 years ago

Westerland

Topaz Jewel

Bull's eye

Wild Blue Yonder

6 years ago

Beautiful roses, Blondie! Westerland, Morden Sunrise and Topaz Jewel would look wonderful planted close together, and maybe a little Paprika thrown in for good measure. I have the first two, but they're on opposite ends of the garden. Shows my lack of planning.

6 years ago

Gosh I love these single's threads. Every year it seems I find one to squeeze in because of these lovely photos.

• oldrosarian
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That does it! I'm moving to the States!! We are sooo limited here in Canada. A lady on Hornby Island started an Old Rose Nursery with cuttings from my garden. If I was a bit younger, I could start my own nursery. I have imported from the States but the customs here keeps them so long they are dried up. I order most of my OGRs from Peter Beales and they kept that one too long. A lady working for customs phoned me to say I should alert Beales and tell them the roses are dried out. Which I did and Peter Beales replaced them for me. Free. Now I will go back and continue cutting off the soggy rose heads because of the downpour we had.

6 years ago

@flowers - mine are also scattered throughout the yard too! I can't plan placement, when I buy impulsively & squeeze them in where I can, hehe!

• titian1 10b Sydney
    6 years ago

Some lovely roses here. I don't know if anyone has suggested Scabrosa. As you can see, the bees love it. Trish

Trish's Garden · More Info

6 years ago

Blondie, we could always dig a few up and replant them in better locations, but I'm afraid I'd lose about half if not all of them. I just try to tie everything together with mostly blue and purple companion plants.

Trish, you are so right about Scabrosa being nectar for the bees. And, it has enormous hips that make great jelly - I've heard.

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    6 years ago

Find a spot for Rosa moschata, aka the musk rose. Mine started blooming a couple weeks ago, and will continue until frost cuts it back. How early it starts depends on how early you get hot temperatures -- down in Florida, it's almost ever-blooming.

If you prefer something more modern but similar enough in looks, look for Grace Seward.

:-)

~Christopher

• summersrhythm_z6a
    6 years ago

You might like this rambler Toby Tristram, I got it from Palatine last year.

• oldrosarian
    Original Author
    6 years ago

summers rhythm. you got my Toby Tristan budwood I gave to Palatine. Toby is very rare. This fall I will send them Awakening and any other budwood I think they could sell. I always send the list to Rene to get his approval as he may have the rose but isn't selling it yet.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    6 years ago

Thanks Lynnette for doing a good deed! I think I have a lot of your roses babies in my garden. :-) Please put Sir Paul Smith on your list for the fall......have to check your rose threads again, there are many others too. :-) I will visit Palatine soon on my scooter, it's a nice ride to there.

• Kes Z 7a E Tn
    6 years ago

What about Winecup? I don't know your zone and don't know how it would do for you, but it's very dependable here. It isn't very big for me, both plant and flowers are maybe the size of my polyanthas. The rose is indeed wine red/purple and doesn't fade much from opening till it drops its petals.

The only other single I have is a mini called Crazy Dottie. It isn't for the faint of heart.;-) It opens a bright coral with a lemon center and fades to a watermelon pink. I think that other people have a different experience with the color being more orange.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    6 years ago

Love the bloom with all those bees titian1!

All great roses everyone!

• nancylee2
    6 years ago

Stopped in Pasol Robles At the Starbucks, and when we left, there was a Mutabilis by the car, hlovely with it multilplude of colors in full force. Clippers in hand, and not that knowledgeable in propagation, I took the slip. In water, I know that it doesnt seem probable, but it is rooting. Wow! Next is to put it in a pot. Cautious but optomistic at this point.

• oldrosarian
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Because you got the roots via water, they will not be as strong as when they were made in soil. Put some seedling type potting soil in a pot and when you go to put the cutting into the soil make sure you make a hole the size of the roots and then gently lower it in. This way the roots won't be damaged. When growing a cutting, get some fungicide called Damp Off because cuttings sometimes get mildew and this kills them. Damp Off is a very gentle type of fungicide just for cuttings.

• nancylee2
    6 years ago

Thanks for the info. I will do so.

• boweredcottage7a_ny
    6 years ago

I second Darlow's Enigma, but it does get quite big and thorny.

This year, my favorite rose has been Summer Wine, a Kordes climber. It has the typical stiff canes the older Kordes have, but the flowers are so pretty--really bright, so maybe not to everyone's liking, but the bees sure love it. My daughters love the "eyelashes" on her. The first few blooms opened much lighter in color, the subsequent blooms much darker and brighter. I have her on an arch with some clematis to cover the lower canes.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    6 years ago

I love my mystery from RVRs. The flowers are 4.5 inches across, very fragrant, and looks to be very vigorous since it is starting six new shoots in the month I've had it.

6 years ago

Finally found a picture of Flamingo and remembered my all time favorite, Priscilla Burton (cannot take a bad picture of this rose because it is always different)

Flamingo

Priscilla Burton

• Sabji garden (7b), Raleigh NC
    6 years ago

pretty !! Country girl!!

6 years ago

thanks, Sabji!

• needmoremulch
    6 years ago

The hybrid musks Penelope, Vanity, and Nur Mahal.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    6 years ago

This is NOT the Viking Queen I ordered, but I'll let you know what it is when I find out, as I really like it. Lovely fragrance blooms last over a week, unfazed by rain or heat, and already very vigorous. I think it might be one of the Parkland roses.

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

Oh wow!! I'm so glad I opened this thread!! I have Night Owl which is in constant bloom all the way up and down the stiff stalks. It is fabulous IMO!!

OldRosarian - my fav of your roses is Festival Fanfare - I've never heard of that one before - looks fabulous!!! Mutabilis is another gorgeous one!! As is Celine and Birthday Girl. Maybe I should get more singles/semi doubles!!

Titian - I've never seen a rose with THAT many bees on it!! Holey Moley!!

Carol

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    6 years ago

Sally Holmes!

• Va Joh(zone8b)
    6 years ago

I have also seen the delicate appeal of singles and doubles and only have two so far but love this thread! I only have Blue for You and Ballerina; and Ballerina came as a tiny band this year, so it hasn't bloomed and probably won't till next year. BFY is gorgeous, here's a few pics I just took.

It smells amazing too!

I really want to try Scarborough Fair or possibly Easy on the Eyes next. I'm going to bookmark your thread. Tee hee.

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

Va Joh - what an amazing color!! Gorgeous! :)

Carol