Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdkrhe64

Sad news and redecorated...

Mary E
6 years ago

Hello Everyone. I have some sad news to share with you all. My sweet, sweet baby (dog) Sophie passed away almost a week ago (Tuesday, June 13th). She died suddenly and in my arms. It was absolutely heart shattering. I felt as though I lost my child (I only have fur babies). I know one day when I speak about her I will feel happiness from the wonderful memories she gave us, instead of this deep pain.

My sweet Sophie passed away on my living room rug as I held her. I don't know why, maybe this is my way of coping, but I got a new rug. I even rearranged my entire living room and fixed it to where the entertainment center is now where she use to lay. So her spot isn't empty, but no one else is filling it. It may seem silly, but I just keep on working on new projects.

After doing all of that I pulled out an old dresser I have had collecting dust in a spare room. My husband removed the mirror and now I use it to hold my plant collection. I was going to paint it, but I decided I like the scratches. It only needs some new knobs. So now I am going to get different knobs slowly, to go with my eccentric style.

I also even bought a gallon of paint in a pretty royal blue color. I bought it for something unrelated, but now my next project is going to be painting the bathroom.

Anyways, I guess staying busy is my way of coping. So I plan to share that with you all as I keep working on new projects.

A photo of my sweet Sophie. <3

My living room before. As you can see what makes my house a home is little paws. <3

Now. I feel as though it's warmer and more open. And honestly, that teal rug was pretty gross. It got dingy fast and the shag would flatten and need "fluffed" a lot.

And the dresser.

An example of how I want to do the knobs.

Comments (33)

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    6 years ago

I am so sorry for your terrible loss. I love your coping method :-) Your room looks fab. I wish you peace and comfort as you navigate this transition.

Mary E thanked Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • Mary E
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you, Rita. I truly appreciate it. <3

• Mary E
    Original Author
    6 years ago

beaglesdoitbetter Thank you so much. <3 And that is a wonderful idea! I had that in the back of my mind, but wasn't able to see it visually. Those photos are perfect. Thank you!

• amykath
    6 years ago

I wanted to send my condolences. I lost my soulmate a little over a year ago. It was the hardest thing to go through. My heart goes out to you! (((((HUGS)))))

• cawaps
    6 years ago

So sorry to hear about your sweet Sophie. She was a beautiful girl.

• Bunny
    6 years ago

Mary, I'm so very sorry about your sweet Sophie. She was a very beautiful girl.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

I'm so sorry about your loss of your dear Sophie. Such a sweet, happy face - clearly she was much loved. Always very hard...

• sableincal
    6 years ago

I am so sorry, Mary E. Sophie was such a beautiful dog.

And I like what you've done with rearranging and redecorating. Your love for both your home and your furbabies shines!.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    6 years ago

I can only repeat what the others have said - Sophie was a beautiful, and I can tell, very sweet little girl. One year ago today, I lost my first rescue dog Jenny. She was 14-ish, and I'd had her since approx. 2 years old. I also have only 'fur-children' - three rescue dogs.

There WILL come a day when thoughts of her will only make you smile at the memories, but don't feel bad about mourning her. You LOVED her, and all the pet parents here know exactly how you feel. We're so lucky to have them for the time we do.

• pattyxlynn
    6 years ago

I am so sorry to hear about Sophie. It is indeed heartbreaking.

• daki
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I totally understand what you are going through. Sophie looks like she was very well loved. We also have no kids and lost our Squeaker cat on 4/30. In many ways, his death has been the hardest because for the past 3 years or so he was an only cat (his preference) and I loved him dearly. DH and I both also seem to react to stressful events by decluttering and rearranging - even when things were not particularly cluttered. I think it may be a way to keep the mind occupied. Anyway, love your changes. Everything looks very cozy and welcoming :)

• Kathie738 P
    6 years ago

What a beautiful little fur baby, I know you gave her a wonderful full life....Hugs

• User
    6 years ago

I moved across the country and could not have done it without my Leo. They end up so so dear and so so loved. I have liked your style and love your new decorating. Hang in there, she will be waiting at Rainbow Bridge ❤️

• cat_mom
    6 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss.

• msmeow
    6 years ago

Mary, I'm so sorry!

• User
    6 years ago

What a beautiful Fur Baby Sophie was Mary and I'm sorry for your loss. Keeping busy is a great way to cope and I hope it helps to ease your pain a bit. The only postive behind the sadness right now is knowing that you gave her the best life and all the love she deserved to have. (((Hugs)))

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    6 years ago

Mary, sincere condolences on the loss of your sweet and beautiful dog. Her personality shines from that little face. We always adopt older animals and so in the last few years have lost four, and each time the pain is terrible. We always turn around and adopt another older animal who needs a home, and that does help. You of course already have other furry ones to love.

The new decor and especially the warm colored rug are wonderful changes for the better. You've done an excellent job.

• OutsidePlaying
    6 years ago

Mary, very sorry about Sophie. I like how you've been keeping busy with re-decorating and love what you've done so far.

• cpartist
    6 years ago

My condolences on the loss of Sophie. What a cutie she was.

I love what you did with your living room now. It's so serene looking.

• Yayagal
    6 years ago

Awwww, I feel your pain as I've been there. She sure looks like a special one. I love what you did to your room and your resolve to move forward towards a peaceful feeling. Stay strong.

• always1stepbehind
    6 years ago

So sorry to hear about your sweet baby-dog. I can see why you would need something to occupy your mind right now. Your room looks great. I like the idea of those different knobs and I love all your plants on top of the dresser.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    6 years ago

Aw, Mary, I am so sorry for your loss. I cannot imagine how dreadful that must have been to lose her like that, although with time, it may be a comfort to remember she was in your arms.

As to your room, it looks wonderful now! Please share pictures once your dresser is finished with plants in the drawers! I love that idea and the examples Beagles shared.

• aiallega
    6 years ago

I'm so sorry for your loss of sweet Sophie

• pudgeder
    6 years ago

Oh how we grieve for our precious fur babies. ((hugs))

• jill302
    6 years ago

My heart goes out to you. Your Sophie was beautiful, and obviously a much loved part of the family. A very lucky girl.

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    6 years ago

I hope you are doing a wee-bit better today. I know what a huge hole a small dog like Sophie leaves. Just wanted to check in and let you know people are still sending you good thoughts.

• mabeldingeldine
    6 years ago

Condolences to you... pets leave more of a hole in the heart than most people realize. I lost my special needs kitty Paisley Doodlebug a month ago, and I am still grieving for her. I hope your other pets bring some comfort and peace.

• denali2007
    6 years ago

I know exactly what you are going through. I lost my little girl 2 months ago and it is so difficult to get over. She was 17, so she lived a good long life with us. Your living room looks great. You've got to do what can help you most.

• l pinkmountain
    6 years ago

Great change, great way to stay busy. So sorry for your loss!

• Sunnysmom
    6 years ago

So sorry for your loss. I envy how green those plants are and how relaxed and welcoming your room looks. Those knobs will look great.

• Mary E
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you all so, so very much. It means the world to me. All of your kind words and thoughts brought a smile to my face in a time I truly needed it. I took a step back for a while (from this post of mine), because I was trying to focus on other things and not my precious baby's face. It's been almost a month now (on the 13th). And I am starting to feel happiness when I think of her and the memories she brought me. Sometimes I still cry out, mostly late at night. I just miss her so much and the hole in my heart will forever be filled with her memories now. I know she is happy and waiting for me on the other side. <3

In these past few weeks I have been decorating, painting, ect. I will try to make an update in a bit. I will make a new thread and leave this one to honor Miss Sophie's memory and all of the AMAZING days I had with her. <3

• Mary E
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Her memorial garden (along with my ferret fur baby who passed away in November of last year). I just started working on it. I planted a rose bush on each grave. Will lay mulch down on the entire area behind the little fence and plant hostas. It looks super bare now, but I know in time it will be beautiful. <3 I also have a bird bath in this area. And I planted honey suckles. The little blue stepping stone says "Welcome to my garden". So just imagine it full of flowers and plants and loveliness.