Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eeyuh

How much siding do I get milled?

Eeyuh
6 years ago

We have an extension on our house and are having custom milled lap siding made to side the extension and to use for repairs as we fix up the exterior on the rest of our little house. Astoundingly, it's more cost-effective to custom mill redwood (our house has old-growth redwood siding) than to buy the pre-made cedar siding that matches well enough. It seems the current White House has created a situation where Canada has added a hefty tariff for cedar and prices have shot up.

So here's the time sensitive question as I need to put in my order tomorrow, Monday...

Bottom line question: Do I get extra redwood siding milled and store it or get what I need now, plus 10%, and just buy a few strips of the cedar when something comes up down the road? It would cost $400 to set up the blades to custom mill again - fine for the volume I'm getting now, but ludicrous for just a few boards. We're guesstimating how much I need now as we're not sure how many boards need to be replaced around the house. Won't know for sure till the carpenters get in there and poke around on all the boards.

Details: I know I'd like to close up a window and put in another bathroom should the money appear, so extra siding would be great. BUT, we have no garage, basement or attic to store it. We'd need to lightly wrap the extra siding in thick plastic, put it on concrete blocks and store it in the crawl space under the house. It would be great to have it when we need it, but storing ... not ideal. The cedar is almost an exact match. Theoretically, I could just buy the cedar as needed when/if the custom milled runs out.

Advice?

Comments (5)