Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homestagingworks

Would you stage your home to help sell it?

We want to know how many of you would stage your home to sell it, and how many are not sure what it even is to stage your home.

I would stage my home to sell it!
I would never stage my home to sell it!
I am kinda on the fence of staging my home to sell it, not sure what it is.

Comments (30)

• PRO
    Home Staging Works, Inc.
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I see that you are not really sure of what home staging is, we would love to explain to you how it all works, and most importantly why it would benefit you!

1. We have interior designers that stage the homes with home decor and furniture, this makes the home look presentable.

2. Staged Homes spent 83% less time on the market than non-staged homes --HomeGain.com

3. According to the National Association of Realtors/NAR the average staging investment is between 1-3% of the homes asking price, which generates a return of 8-10%.

Let us know if that helps, if you have further questions email James@homestagingworks.com

• PRO
    Gerety Building and Restoration
    6 years ago

Glad to see your above comment that breaks down the numbers. Good info, Home Staging Works!

I would certainly consider staging to sell, as it seems like a solid investment.

Home Staging Works, Inc. thanked Gerety Building and Restoration
  • functionthenlook
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Staged 2 homes myself and both were under agreement within 24 hours at asking price. Staging defiantly makes a difference. I see people selling their house that are a mess and think what pigs. If they can't even clean, freshen up and pick up what else are they not doing to maintain the home. There are tons of sites on the internet on how to stage a home.

• PRO
    Home Staging Works, Inc.
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Moss Building - First off, amazing homes you have in your portfolio, and yes it is a huge difference when the home is staged.

• PRO
    Home Staging Works, Inc.
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Gerety Building - I am glad you would consider it now, it is the real deal and the data backs it up. We are being featured in another article for our home staging and how it is helping the real estate industry. It really interested cause the common though would be that a vacant home would appear larger then a staged home, a home filled with furniture, but a vacant home actually appears smaller as well, which hurts the value of the home.

• PRO
    Home Staging Works, Inc.
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Jane - That is great, sounds like what you are doing is working, we have a huge 6,000 sq. ft. warehouse full of furniture and home decor!

• bhindman39
    6 years ago

Our real estate agent staged our home. It certainly looked different than what we had. Home sold in 2 days. It was very minimum looking and people could see what they could do.

• PRO
    Home Staging Works, Inc.
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Bhindman39 - That is interesting, how many bedrooms did they do?

I know a lot of people try to do it, and usually is better left to professionals that do it, but glad it still worked, that is awesome!

• bhindman39
    6 years ago

no bedrooms - just left empty. My sister back East, had staging. In her bedrooms, they used large boxes, sheets, duvets, etc.

• PRO
    Home Staging Works, Inc.
    Original Author
    6 years ago

bhindman39 - That is odd, that is not staging, that is making a mess, we actually stage with high end furniture, decor and paintings.

• PRO
    Home Staging Works, Inc.
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I noticed another person voted that they are unsure what staging is, or on the fence, would love to address it and help give as much information as I could to you!

• Belahn
    6 years ago

I staged my last one to sell. I did not hire anyone to do it though because I know what to do and I knew what people were looking for where it was. They all have a million kids and wanted a lot of bedrooms so I presented the rooms that we did not use for that as bedrooms. Also, all the artwork needs to be neutral and needs to be something that would in no way offend anyone, and paint colors mostly neutral. It worked. My sister just had a professional help stage hers and got 2 offers from the first 2 people who looked at it. SOLD! They did a really good job and yes, I would use a pro next time if I could afford to do it. Right now, if I sold I would need to get every dollar possible. Perhaps, professionally staging it could make it sell for more? Do you think that is possible?

• PRO
    Home Staging Works, Inc.
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you @Belahn for letting us know how it went for you, we love hearing all of the success stories of staging your homes!

• User
    6 years ago

No I've never done it n probably wouldn't because I just assume it's expensive. our last house sold in 2 weeks so I think it's really a matter of seeing ur own house in the eyes of the buyer. If u can do that, then u will price it right n it shouldn't takes more than a couple months to sell it. Some people just want it sold in a day n expect a high price even if it's not really worth it, n of course timing is everything too. I wasn't in a hurry so I could afford to wait it out... :)

• PRO
    Home Staging Works, Inc.
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Homebody - Thank you for taking the time to let us know your thoughts on staging, I understand where you are coming from.

What if I told you the National Association of Realtors did a survey and paying 1-3% of listed price and getting a return of on average 8-10% back and selling it 83% faster would get you a lot more money, and if it sold in 2 weeks, you most likely would have sold it first day with us, since we have many who could not sell in a month and sold the first day they staged with us.

Granted not everyone holds staging dearly like us, and not everyone has a chance to pick from a Warehouse full of Home Decor that is 6,500 sq. ft. and that has the top interior designer like we do.

Depending on the size of the home but you could have a Master Bedroom, Living Room, Dining Room, Kitchen and all Bathrooms staged with us starting at $1350, and look like this....

www.HomeStagingWorks.Com

• User
    6 years ago

Hello HSW - in my experience, while we were searching for a new (older) house, many of the homes would definitely Not have benefited from staging, simple because they were in terrible shape n hadn't been touched in years. Original kitchen, original bathroom. Even carpet n paint looked in really sad shape, it's amazing what u see when house hunting. N sometimes pretty gross.. it's like putting lipstick on a pig. Ugh..

the thing is, u really never know for sure exactly how much more money u "could" potentially get or how long it will take, and there are no guarantees given. staging is a new idea n definitely a nice one to consider for the seller, but as a buyer, u would need to be aware that looking pretty isn't always what's in ur best interest.

Its really a two way street here. Buying n selling is something u need to go into with both eyes Wide open. :)

• functionthenlook
    6 years ago

I agree Homebody. A fixer upper needs more than home staging, but a few pieces of furniture helps to gage the room size. For the average family home there are so many sites and videos on how to stage. I wouldn't go through the cost of a professional especially in a hot market. I never knew anyone personally who used one. Bring in some friends for a fresh eye and suggestions. Now high end homes people expect perfection so yes to a professional.

• Denita
    6 years ago

I'm a Realtor and just had a home staged for one of my clients. It was very reasonable, no where near 1% of the list price. The issue we had was the home was vacant and the buyers could not "see" where to put their furniture as it is an open concept home. Once we staged it, we received a cash offer within a couple of weeks and are closing shortly. Does professional staging work? Yes!

• havingfun
    6 years ago

none of my homes were ever staged, most were empty all sold for over within 6 weeks. Actually till coming here i never heard of it. I will not lie, it sounds like a great idea, and maybe for some it is, but I am the one who posts the would live here dilemmas, many come from designers, or millionaires, many are for sale for millions.

Do i wish to spend money for that? no, and how do i know what i am getting? how do i get my money returned if i don't like it?

• PRO
    Home Staging Works, Inc.
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Homebody - You brought up a great point and I am glad you did, cause you are right, some homes are tore up from the floor up, however that is why we do Signature Staging Consultation, what basically is, we will have our interior designer go in and consult the home owner on what modifications should be made in order to help sell the home for more and faster. Such as color enhancements, rearranging existing furnishings and decor, suggestions on window coverings, de-cluttering as well as recommendations for cleaning and repairs.

We are the complete package, and make sure we are allowing the home to sell at it's fullest potential.

• PRO
    Home Staging Works, Inc.
    Original Author
    6 years ago

janejhumes - I am curious to know what expensive is to you, this is more affordable then you would be led on to believe.

If you paid 1-3% to have a Professional Home Staging Company come in and stage your home, you are looking at a 8-10% return even in this hot market.

• PRO
    Home Staging Works, Inc.
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Denita - First off, thank you for doing what you do, I have my Realtor License in the state of California myself, and know how hard it is, especially for a Realtor who is paid commission to put money into marketing. I am glad you tried it, and yes you are exactly right, many times you can get your home staged for less than 1%!

• PRO
    Home Staging Works, Inc.
    Original Author
    6 years ago

havingfun - I am glad you said that, we have homes we have staged for less than $200,000.00 and got more for the seller in staging their home, and yes the home owner was beyond pleased! I liken how you mentioned if you do not like the staging, to my time when I worked in the music industry. You have a music artist come out with a great hit song, goes #1, then they want to start writing their own music, and not leave it up to the professionals that got them that #1 hit the song they write flops and hence you hear of the term One Hit Wonders. We all have skills, and the reason why we hire professional staging companies is to have their input, since they are paid to do this for a living and see a blank canvass, an "empty room" and see how it can come to life.

• functionthenlook
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I think it is just another hand in the sellers pocket. Everyone sees big bucks and wants their hands in your pockets. Professional home staging is only 1%, but by the time your done with the real estate (6-7%), taxes, transfers, etc and etc and etc, oh of course the buyer wanting concessions the vultures have picked you clean. In our area with routine maintenance you only break even after 5 years. Our homes generally appreciate 2% a year. In our area the real estates agents are constantly complaining because there isn't enough inventory. Well wonder why, it's not worth selling your home.

• PRO
    Home Staging Works, Inc.
    Original Author
    6 years ago

janejhumes - You can negotiate at 1-3% for a Realtor, also if you are looking to move, usually you are needing too or have a house you already have in mind, or a different location in mind and need to sell your home.

If you are going to sell your home, might as well stage it when it sells 83% faster according to HomeGain.com then let it sit on the market for 30-120 days devaluing your home, taking price cuts, then selling it at $5,000 to -$30,000 or less than what you wanted to sell it for.

• PRO
    Home Staging Works, Inc.
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you all for voting and please continue to vote, we have let the people speak and they have 33 votes to do Home Staging to only (4) people who said they never would, and 2 on the fence, and I know at least one changed his opinion in favor of Staging! Please find us at our https://www.facebook.com/homestagingworks/

• User
    6 years ago

Well U haven't convinced me. Lol.

:)

• PRO
    Home Staging Works, Inc.
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Homebody - I don't need to convince you, the numbers do that :)

These are the National Association Of Realtors numbers!