Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
baroness0085

Hubby has had his say; How do I get to make my own statement?

Kay Addis
6 years ago

I've lived in and decorated 5 homes. About to move into my 6th, I'm stumped as to where to start: buy Oriental and buy furniture based on those colors? My current home has a living/great room with a formal fireplace. I have white slip=covered sofa and loveseat, with touches of teal and coral throughout that room and open dining room, again with formal Queen Anne furniture, crystal chandelier, all blending with Oriental rug. The new home has an informal great room, dominated by my husband's new 65-inch TV in a built-in media cabinet and his new gray leather sofa. Walls are gray. No real dining room, just large eat-in kitchen, open to great room,, for which we bought a Tuscan table. My husband got his "wants." Now how do I make it more appealing to me? Buy new rug? I still like teal and cream. This is hard for me!

Comments (28)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Take a photo before you call a marriage counselor. Post it. Here.

Kay Addis thanked JAN MOYER
  • gtcircus
    6 years ago
    LOL, I put on a conservatory off the kitchen and decorated it exactly as I wanted. Marriage saved.
    Kay Addis thanked gtcircus
  • ashtonchic
    6 years ago

how about something completely different?

Duffield Drive · More Info

Kay Addis thanked ashtonchic
  • apple_pie_order
    6 years ago

Photos?

Kay Addis thanked apple_pie_order
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Heavens, to Betsy! Baroness! Sure time you stopped him before he hurts himself! lol It is too late in the marriage or this housing effort to change what is. Is there space somewhere else in the house that you can call your own and get what you want, perhaps your own "girl cave"! Or could you change up the dining room and make it more "multi-purpose" room and give it new life and new personality?

Kay Addis thanked Flo Mangan
  • havingfun
    6 years ago

looks like i am way too late to the party, so i will just add my 2 cents and leave. if it were me, i would want a spot by a large window with a good size set of bookshelves that would turned so i would not always be looking at the kitchen and anything else i do not wish to see. and I would like a lounger that is all down like this

Bliss Down-Filled Chaise | west elm · More Info
    a pretty lamp and a cute table.

Kay Addis thanked havingfun
  • jmm1837
    6 years ago

Well, I dunno. There are far worse things in life to have to deal with than a big TV and a grey leather sofa. Unhappy husbands, for example...

Why don't you post a picture of your current home, and of the offending sofa, and maybe someone can work out how to keep everyone happy? It will probably require some compromise, of course, but surely you can make a grey leather sofa work with an oriental rug, for starters? I have lots of oriental rugs myself, and they have gone with almost any style of furniture I've had over the years, from fairly traditional to, now, my modern leather sofas and Scandi credenzas and tables. The Queen Anne furniture will be more of a challenge but it sounds as though it won't be all that well suited to the new house, never mind the sofa...

Anyway, photos please.

Kay Addis thanked jmm1837
  • Kay Addis
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Flo and Having Fun, the new house doesn't have room for a 'girl cave, but I do plan to use our 3 tall bookcases in the no-name room between the family room and kitchen, with 2 pretty chairs (of my choosing) for a girly conversation area. Jmm, you make me feel better with the way your Orientals have transitioned through the years. I don't have a photo of the gray leather sofa, but I'm trying to attach a photo of my current living room.

• Kay Addis
    Original Author
    6 years ago

More photos of current house, but, as Jmm said, the Queen Anne dining room furniture already is a no-go for the new house, which is farmhouse-casual.

• lcswilcox195kw
    6 years ago
    Would you be willing to paint some of your formal furniture to make it more farmhouse looking?
    Kay Addis thanked lcswilcox195kw
  • Kay Addis
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Probably not, since some are family antiques already restored and refinished. But I'll keep it in mind for lesser pieces. And the dining room and table already will be replaced by the Tuscan pedestal table we bought. Thanks, though!

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I notice the large t v in your living room. Is that staying?

Buy a new rug for the gray sofa, in gray and color you like.

Kay Addis thanked JudyG Designs
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

When you say "Tuscan" what do you mean? Tuscan tables are usually more ornate? Any photos? I can't quite feature a Tuscan table with the Queen Anne chairs and other pieces?

• gtcircus
    6 years ago
    Food for thought
    Kay Addis thanked gtcircus
  • simstress
    6 years ago
    I can understand... one wants to express one's personality in the home. It sounds like husband preemptively ordered some items and had them delivered. Could this be his way of saying: I didn't get my say in the last 5 houses... Here's an opportunity to put my stamp on it! Just playing devil's advocate. If this is accurate, it could've been done with some discussion with you first. Good luck.
    Kay Addis thanked simstress
  • Kay Addis
    Original Author
    6 years ago

No, it all was done with my knowledge and agreement. He said he felt like a visitor in our current US home, since I did most of the buying and decorating and he was in the States so seldom. I wanted him to have pieces he liked in our new house, to make it "our" house, a place he feels comfortable living full-time. In fact, I shopped half a dozen stores before showing him a leather sofa I thought he would like -- but in a color I could live with (as opposed to BROWN). My quandary now is how to bring my own tastes to bear with the rest of the room's furnishings.

• Kay Addis
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Judy g, I like that idea of buying a rug with gray but also with colors I'd like to use, including cream and teal. And I had to laugh about the TV. The one he bought for the new house is about 3 times that big, taking up the entire allotted space in the built-in media cabinet for a TV. So that GIANT TV will unfortunately be the focal point of the room, since we'll have no fireplace.

• Kay Addis
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Flo, I can see your confusion. The Queen Anne chairs won't be going with the new Tuscan table. Maybe I'm describing it wrong: It's a long, narrowish table with distressed finish. Reminds me of something King Henry VIII would have gnawed chicken legs on. We bought chairs similar in style.

• Kay Addis
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Judy G, where did you find the rug you pictured. I like it a lot!

• havingfun
    6 years ago

you like more traditional. i found these the other day, would some perk you up?

Decorative Throw Pillows USA | Throw Pillows USA · More Info

love them, all under $25.

Kay Addis thanked havingfun
  • smit2380
    6 years ago

This post makes me giggle. My husband would say that a 65" TV is tiny and only suitable for a bedroom. So, I guess count your blessings that the TV is only 65". (This is not intended as a criticism of my husband. I have come to sort of like large TVs.)

Kay Addis thanked smit2380
  • Kay Addis
    Original Author
    6 years ago

LWfromny, I'm very sorry that you lost the love of your life. I've had cancer twice, my husband with me through every surgery, every chemo treatment, so I cherish every day of health, every day of life with him. I want him to feel comfortable at home and love being in one country, one house after all these years. But, to get this thread off our maudlin meanderings, I'm still selfish enough to want a home where we don't throw chicken bones on the floor, where my girlfriends come over and say "Wow."

And Smit, you mean they actually MAKE a TV larger than 65 inches? For the new house, my husband also bought a 45 incher for the screened porch, a 20-something for wall mounting in the kitchen, and we're moving our "small" 42-incher into the new guest room. At least he and I agree on no TV's for the bedroom! (And no eating in bed!)

You all have been helpful, and supportive. Many thanks.

• lwfromny
    6 years ago
    Ah not selfish lol. Just seeking compromise, as you should :). Post pictures once you make some progress. We can't wait to see it.
    Kay Addis thanked lwfromny
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    This tread sounds like the basis for a good tv show for a 80" TV Screen. (Lwfromny- so very sorry for your terrible loss. Glad you can share and friends here can boost you up!).
    Kay Addis thanked Flo Mangan
  • smit2380
    6 years ago

Baroness,

The smallest tv in our house is a 55" in our daughter's bedroom. Our formal living area has a 73" tv; our family room has an 80" tv. There is a 120" projection screen on our patio. He is currently scheming to get a 90" tv since that 73" TV is so tiny. (His words, not mine.). He kills me, but I am pretty glad to have him.

Lwfromny, I am sorry for your loss.

Kay Addis thanked smit2380
  • Kay Addis
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Smit2380, I had no idea!!!! My husband now wants to compare notes with your husband. He said he felt his "male parts" shrinking! Well, you made my day. If you can put up with all that, I guess I can live with a 55-inch TV in my living room. And yes, these husbands can be annoying, but life would be pretty dull and lonely without them. Lwfromny put things in perspective for us.