Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caitlin_parys

Help Decorating Living Room - Mid-Century Attempt

Caitlin Parys
6 years ago

We live in a tiny apartment in manhattan and I am trying to do a midd-century/modern look with some classic accents. I'm struggling and need any ideas on how to tie the room together?

I want to pick some hardware and add feet to the white dresser, recover the ottoman and maybe replace the red chairs with one large chair for reading. I also need to get some art up on the walls! (Also the air conditioner is temporary, hopefully only 1 more month.)

Any ideas are more than welcome!

Comments (5)

• yvonnecmartin
    6 years ago

Definitely add feet to the dresser. For a MCM look use plain round ones with brass (note your doorknob).

The ottoman could be covered in a color that is in one of your paintings. Then carry that color over to the pillows on the couch.

• Kathy Yata
    6 years ago

Adding feet to the dresser won't work well because of the toekick. Put it up on 4 cans of beans or tuna to emulate the look, pretty sure you won't like it. Make it more retro 50s, my 1956 bedroom set has the toekick at the bottom like your piece. I'd rather have nice stiletto feet like all my living room furniture but other than that it's wonderful and makes me happy. DLawless has MCM inspired hardware, was thinking the dished saucers but the chevron ones might be nice! If you can figure out how to remove the toekick or are brave enough to cut part of the centers out so it looks like feet go for it though. I'd do skinny and only as tall as the toekick or proportions would get wonky.

I tried and failed to finish smocked round pillows, very retro. Piped around squares and squares with buttons in the center are MCM or you could buy pillow covers made from one of the iconic fabrics from Girard or Eames or a Calder inspired mobile or 'atomic' then pull a color for the ottoman. You can get incredible deals on eBay for fabric remnants, search Maharam and you get more suggestions under the search bar.

Have fun searching for a new chair. Looks like you have a great spot for a nice wide comfy chair like a Womb or Bird or Wegner Shell/Wing or Egg.

• groveraxle
    6 years ago

Why do you even have the dresser? It seems to just take up space you don't have.

There is nothing in your apartment that is mid century modern. The sofa and TV console are contemporary, the red chairs and ottoman are transitional (or styleless), and the demilune table is traditional.

If this were my space, I'd keep the sofa, the media console, and jettison the rest. I'd replace the ottoman with an actual MCM coffee table--it will have less visual weight--and replace the red chairs with a classic MCM knockoff like the Eames lounger or even a butterfly chair.

Altra Owen Retro Coffee Table & Reviews | Wayfair · More Info

Alexa Reclaimed Wood Coffee Table | west elm · More Info

Mid-Century Show Wood Upholstered Chair | west elm · More Info

Nixon Mid Century Modern Chair · More Info

• Lars
    6 years ago

Obviously you need the dresser, or it would not be there. However, I would paint it black to match the TV console and switch those two so that the TV is on the dresser and the console is on the longer wall. I say that partly because I think the TV is positioned too low, but also because of space. It would be easier to do space planning with a floor plan drawing.

The view from the window in the first photo does not look like Manhattan! It lets in much more light that I would have expected.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

i have to agree. nothing in there is mcm. at least trade in the white colonial style dresser for an mcm credenza or something. put the tv on it (or over it) and use something else where the white piece is. like this

sell yours and find one on craigslist. ditto for chairs and ottoman and tables. you need to peruse mid century family rooms on Pinterest to get ideas.

http://blog.froy.com/mid-century-modern-design-decorating-guide/#foobox-1/2/Virginia-Scott-hero.jpg