Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amckenney1

Help with small odd shaped living room layout

amckenney1
6 years ago

Our new rental apartment has an open kitchen/living area, but the space dedicated to the living room is pretty small and very weirdly shaped. It basically is a right triangle with the tip cut off. I am attaching some photos.
We are open to getting rid of some of the furniture but don't really want to spend any money on new furniture (although we are planning to replace the coffee table). We are having a tough time figuring out how to lay the furniture out without it feeling cramped or awkward. It may be impossible with this shape but any insight is welcome!

Comments (5)

• Darzy
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I think you just need to tweak. Remove the leather chair that is on the left side of the sofa and remove the cubby bookcase. Then, spread out accordingly for a cozy, yet comfortable feel, When you edit, you can rotate the coffee table to face the sofa.

• Marci
    6 years ago
    How many bedrooms do you have? Can you move any of the furniture to another room? The reason your living room looks cramped is that you have too much furniture it it. If you have another space, perhaps you can move the cubbies and one or two of the chairs into it. Then you can play around with the furniture remaining in the living room.
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago

Having a floor plan with dimensions for your room would help, but from what I see here's what I would suggest:

-lay the cube organizer on its side and put the tv on it. Get baskets to fit the cubbies to store everything from the current tv stand and cube organizer, with some cubbies left free for smdisplay pieces if you would like. Center it on the flat wall. Get rid of the tv stand.

-center the sofa across from the tv, parallel to the tv wall. There will be a gap behind the couch where the wall angles. Put the floor lamp there.

-choose one chair to put in the angle on the right of the sofa (as you're sitting on it).

-choose one chair to put on the left of the sofa. Get rid of the third chair.

-use the round ottoman as a coffee table. Get rid of the big one.

-get rid of the square table.

-keep your eyes out for a long, low bench to go under the window for your plants.

This might not work, it's hard to tell from the camera angles.

• amckenney1
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I am attaching a shot of the floor plan for this part of the apartment, including the kitchen. It includes dimensions. Does this provide any additional insight for you all? Thanks in advance!

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

What an interesting shape to work with!

I would eliminate the leather chair, white bookcase and wood arm chair. I would also replace your existing rug. Although I like it, the pattern makes this angular space feel busier than it needs to be. I would get a rug that is more neutral and calming.

Then, I would move the couch to the long wall (11'9") and move the blush arm chair and foot stool where the current leather chair is. I would move the TV to the 6' wall. Can the TV be mounted? Mounting it would make the room feel lighter and allow you to swivel TV toward the living room seating more.

Lastly, add a large calming piece of artwork for above the couch.

Hope this helps!