Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brdpeng

Fiddle Leaf Ficus Lyrata Help w/ Brown Edges, dying before my eyes

Bernard Peng
6 years ago

Hi all, I've been reading a lot on these forums but haven't been able to solve my own Fiddle Leaf brown spot problem. Hoping the vast knowledge on these forums can save my tree!

I purchased this Fiddle Leaf fig from one of the many stores in NYC's flower district in early July. Since then, I've repotted in the original 10" grow pot using 5-1-1 mix w/ bark fines from Home Depot. During the repot process, I cleaned off the original soil, dipping the root bed in a large pot of water, both to keep the roots moist but I found the soil was easier to remove when submerged in water.

Currently the plant sits about 5' away from a West facing window in Brooklyn. The plant looks a little leggy but I did lose a few leaves in the middle in the repotting process. My apt is fairly high up so there are no trees/outdoor foilage outside my window. Since repotting about 2 weeks ago in 5-1-1 mix, I've noticed the leaves starting to droop about every 3-4 days despite the dowel test showing some moisture at the bottom of the pot. I'd like to wait a little longer but the leaves just look so limp after 3 days.

When this happens, I water with about 2-3 gallons of tap water in the bathtub. The water drains a light brown/yellow at the start but eventually clears up. Finally, I tilt the planter 45 degrees to minimize any water that could be retained at the bottom. The plant perks right back up the next day!

As for fertilizing, I've purchased dyna-gro 9-3-6 but I am holding off until new growth forms.

I've only had the plant for about 3 weeks but I've noticed these dry brown spots radiating from edges of the leaves. One plant seems to be suffering more than the other. I know patience is key with plants but I am afraid it might be too late if I wait to make a change. I don't know whether it's water problem (using tap water/overwatering) or possibly a fungal infection.

FYI, I also purchased a small philodendron selloum that is also starting to exhibit same pattern of brown spotting.

Comments (9)

• Tatiana [USDA 6]
    6 years ago

Is your tap water 'city' water? If so, it will have chemicals that your plants cannot process & that will cause the browning.

• litterbuggy (z7b, Utah)
    6 years ago

It looks like all the overwatered FLFs I've read about on the houseplants forum, and all of them have turned out to be caused by overwatering. 'Overwatering' happens when the soil stays saturated for long periods of time, preventing air from prejudicing oxygen to the roots, leading to dead and rotting roots and a plant that starts to kill and drop leaves its reduced root system can no longer support. You might want to scan the first page or two on that forum for FLF threads, but meanwhile I'll ask a few questions:

Does the pot have a drain hole? How do your water--on a schedule, when the top of the soil is dry, or when the soil at the bottom of the pot is dry? Do you give it a fixed volume of water, or water until it drains freely from the pot? Does the pot ever sit in standing water?

What kind of soil are you using? Have you potted up (put the plant in a bigger pot with new soil around the existing rootball) or repotted it (removed all old soil from the roots, pruned errant roots, and replaced the soil with all new mix)?

• mblan13
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I think watering with 2-3 gallons is excessive. Water until 10% runs out of the pot. That amount of water is usually reserved for a once in a while to flush excess salts or in cases of over fertilization. It probably wouldn't hurt to add a little Dyna-gro FP at 1/4 strength, you may have flushed all the available nutrients from the soil.

Also, let the water sit in a bucket for 24 hours before watering, so the chlorine can dissipate.

• Bernard Peng
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@litterbuggy

Thanks so much for the response. I've read most of Al's stuff but perhaps I am doing something wrong.

Currently it's still in its original plastic grow pot with (4) drainage holes. I removed the old soil and replaced it with 5-1-1 mix (5 parts bark, 1 part perlite, 1 part peat).

l water pretty freely with tap water until it starts draining clear. I usually water when the leaves start to droop a little despite dowel showing some moisture at bottom of the pot.

• Bernard Peng
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@mblan

Thanks for clarifying some things. Perhaps I am trying to flush to often. I just purchased a water filter. I am going to start watering in smaller amounts with the filtered water mixed with some fertilizer. Hopefully this pushes the plant in the positive direction

6 years ago

Just be sure to water until it drains freely from the pot, and water slowly covering the entire surface of the mix to make sure it's evenly moistened. I agree that you should fertilize, but unless you're using a reverse osmosis filter there will still be enough minerals left to cause mineral deposits if you water in sips.

Either way, the dead areas on the lower leaves aren't signs of any nutrient deficiency I've ever heard of, but please educate me if I'm wrong about that.

Al, my personal plant guru, has said that the chlorine used in modern water treatment systems is a solid that doesn't evaporate out when the water is allowed to stand, but it certainly wouldn't do any harm to let it stand if you're concerned about it.

• Bernard Peng
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hey guys, thanks so much. One minor positive update is that the plant seems to be able to go longer without a watering. This weekend was the first time the soil was dry (according to the dowel) before the leaves started to go limp.

I promptly did a final flush to remove any salts from previous tap water (hopefully this doesn't hurt the plant). I then watered with 3 cups of very diluted mixture of distilled water & dyna-gro.

From now on I am going to use filtered water that sit out for a few days.

Here's to hoping there comes some new growth.

6 years ago

Good news, Bernard. Being able to store water means there are roots, so the new growth should come soon. Remember to water as much as it needs and not according to a measuring cup!